my tank :) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #16
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

most of the time when they go opaque its bacterial infection. ghost shrimp should be clear. and dont feel really bad most are feeder shrimp and are not kept in good condition so they die pretty fast. if you end up losing them clean the tank well and make sure all is good and give cherrys a try you might end up with better luck
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #17
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
most of the time when they go opaque its bacterial infection. ghost shrimp should be clear. and dont feel really bad most are feeder shrimp and are not kept in good condition so they die pretty fast. if you end up losing them clean the tank well and make sure all is good and give cherrys a try you might end up with better luck
Tbh I'm replacing the ghost shrimp as soon as I can afford it. I'm thinking RCS
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 AM   #18
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

cherry shrimp are pretty easy. if you like other colors there are others out there that are just as easy as cherrys. think cousins lol. blues, orange, yellow, brown many color neo's are all a good place to start and they all came from the red.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #19
AnionAndCation
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpcrazy00 View Post
Some of my shrimp are opaque they are not see through anymore... is that a sign they are molting? I have noticed them get that way and then I don't see them that way anymore. I'm hoping they are just molting when they do that. Lol
That is either a sign of molting, or sign of bacterial infection. If it's the latter, you may need to bleach everything to get rid of the bacteria/disease causing organism, if you don't do that there is a possibility that it will also infect cherries and any new shrimp you put in.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #20
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think its molting because it comes and goes... and the one shrimp I had that did have a infection.. he started turning white at the tip of his tail and it progressed up to his middle... it looks nothing like what my opaque shrimp look like...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default hmm

Quote:
cherry shrimp are pretty easy. if you like other colors there are others out there that are just as easy as cherrys. think cousins lol. blues, orange, yellow, brown many color neo's are all a good place to start and they all came from the red.
What about the dark green caridinia shrimp?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #22
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Harder than cherries to breed and keep happy...at least from my experience.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #23
harilp
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

What moss is that

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by harilp View Post
What moss is that

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2
Java moss it is easy to grow and necessary for baby shrimp to live in and eat the slime and such off of it when they are first born.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #25
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Harder than cherries to breed and keep happy...at least from my experience.
Well from what research I have done there is 2 different kinds or green shrimp... did u have the caridinia shrimp or the other kind? One seems to be dark green and one is a lighter green.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #26
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

they are the same type. there is/was a green neo being sold a while ago but dont seem to be around any more. the green babalti can be several shades of green. and as cool as they sound you dont see them to much lol. green shrimp in a tank with green plants tend to blend in quite well.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #27
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default well

Quote:
they are the same type. there is/was a green neo being sold a while ago but dont seem to be around any more. the green babalti can be several shades of green. and as cool as they sound you dont see them to much lol. green shrimp in a tank with green plants tend to blend in quite well.
That explains a lot lol the babalti is the only kind I see online. Is there a difference in value between the different colors of neocardinia?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #28
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

IME yellow and diamond neos seem to be more sensitive, but the others are pretty much the same.

I *think* there is a difference between green babaulti and dark green. (At least info I looked up at the time suggested there was.) I had dark greens.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #29
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
IME yellow and diamond neos seem to be more sensitive, but the others are pretty much the same.

I *think* there is a difference between green babaulti and dark green. (At least info I looked up at the time suggested there was.) I had dark greens.
Yea I have read the same thing but there is a lot of talk saying that its the same spe lies of shrimp and some peoples have selectively bred dark green and say they are a caridinia species... but I honestly don't know one way or the other... I never see the caridinia type for sale anywhere. I always see them say they are caridinia babaulti species.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #30
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

So the blue neos are just as easy as the rcs?