LF: Used Fliter Media or gravel
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 01-27-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
Kellye8498
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

LF: Used Fliter Media or gravel

Starting a tank and am looking for some used and live media to get the tank seeded. Anything will help.

I am located in Elk Grove so somewhere as close as possible would be best. I can't seem to get any replies on craigslist or free cycle. Just hoping someone in Elk Grove might be willing to help me out.

Thanks guys.
Kellye8498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

If you can't get ahold of somone to jumpstart you, why don't you just do a natural cycle on your own? It doesn't take that long really.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
Kellye8498
Algae Grower

We were "gifted" with a new 36 gallon and 8 guppies by well meaning but not so smart family. Now it's a fish cycle situation and I am hoping to put them through as little stress as possible. I have added API Quick Start which I doubt will actually do anything and Amquel Plus today because the ammonia spike was intense. I didn't want the poor things to suffer in a cycling tank. I also removed the filter from the canister and put it in my established turtle tank to rub on the sides and bottom and grab some bacteria from there since the water tested as cycled but I'm not really sure how long I have to leave the filter media in the tank to collect enough bacteria to matter. Darn well meaning family :/
Old 01-27-2014, 04:17 AM   #4
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Ahh, I see:P People have used Tetra Safe Start with success, but sometimes without as well (as expected). I've used it in the past and it's worked well for me. I say get some Seachem Prime to detoxify and just keep a look out for parameters.

Good luck!
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 AM   #5
Kellye8498
Algae Grower

I think the AmQuel Plus is very similar to Prime. It doesn't remove ammonia or nitrites but makes them safe for the fish without interrupting the cycling process. I'm going to keep adding it as I do water changes and keep testing my water daily and see what happens. Hopefully it'll cycle quickly because adding chemicals gets very pricey, lol.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm hoping everything works out for the best. There are 2 cobras in there that are GORGEOUS...I would have chosen them myself if I'd had the choice...and I don't want them to die. I need them to make me some gorgeous cobra babies, LOL!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 AM   #6
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

If its only 8 guppies in a 36 gallon tank just do a partial water change every few days and you should be fine. When I started I put about 20 in a 40 gallon and didn't do any changes and they all lived
Old 01-27-2014, 04:53 AM   #7
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

8 guppies in a tank that size isn't too bad (unless they are really big guppies...)

Throw in some plants, and it will probably work out fine. Do a water test every day for the first few days or so, if you detect any ammonia/nitrites, change out a bunch of water. Once you test zeroes for a couple days in a row, you are probably fine.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
Kellye8498
Algae Grower

Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Looks like the AmQuel Plus worked as the ammonia was a bit higher than 1 ppm this morning and Nitrates were at almost 40 ppm.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I would give you some but I just started seeding my new zoomed with filter material I had stored in other filters. Try Tetra Safe Start its a decent product and won't cost you a lot. Get the newest production date on the bottle and refrigerate after opening. It's a newer formula of another bacteria solution that Tetra bought, it used to have to be refrigerated this new one doesn't have to but I do if I have any left over.

If I find any spare filter material I will check back to see if you still need it.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
Kellye8498
Algae Grower

Thanks dubels! My ammonia levels dropped substantially with the AmQuel Plus so that's good. I am also seeding my carbon filter in my old turtle tank since it tested as cycled. It just had pretty high nitrates but I don't think that's going to be a huge deal as it's just going to be the bacteria I'm after so I'll let the bag drain for a few minutes before placing it back in my filter. I shouldn't pick up much of the nitrates that way. I wish I knew how long to leave it in the tank. It's been about 24 hours. Think that's enough or is it going to take weeks to get the bacteria from the tank to latch on? Right now it's laying on the floor of the bare tank which should be covered in bacteria. Here's hoping!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

There is a Sacramento area aquatic plant club that could probably be a big help: http://thesaps.org/index.php Joining is free, and you reach over 100 local planted tank keepers, making it a lot easier when you have a problem like this.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Kellye8498
Algae Grower

That's great, thanks Hoppy! It'll be amazing to have some people around me to talk to about tanks. My hubby doesn't get my obsession and just tells me that I'm "going overboard" with all the water testing. Blah lol.

I lost my pregnant female last night and I woke up to my other female laying on the bottom of the tank dead with a scale plucked and bleeding. Looks like my males harassed her to death Devastated. I guess, for now, the makes will have to just stick together. I'll get females again when the time comes.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
jamesyu
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu

don't use amquel plus since it takes oxygen away from fish. stick with amquel's original formula.
also, do a couple of water changes before doing any dosing to remove ammonia or convert ammonia to ammonium with the additives.

I would stick with good ol'e water changes and get a 10 dollar bottle of tetra safestart and dump it all in the aquarium and the filter media to get things started asap.

I hope that helps (at least with some things)
jamesyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
Kellye8498
Algae Grower

After using the AmQuel Plus the tank reading are all great. I have a lot of aeration in the tank so it probably didn't affect their oxygen much. Ammonia is lower than .25, no Nitrites, less than 5 Nitrates. I am doing 25-30% water changes every other day and things are going well. No losses. WOOHOO!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looks like I will have some filter media for you after all. Was home helping my parents clean their XP2 filter when I dropped it and shattered the corner of the canister. What kind of filter do you have? I have some Rena bio stars that are ready to go. Problem is that I wont be back in Sac until Sunday and not sure if they will fit in your filter. Will let you know how much I will have tomorrow once I get a replacement going.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote