Bubble Counter/Needle Valve questions...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-07-2003, 08:31 PM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

All my stuff arrived from custom aquatics today! I do have a couple, basic questions though...

The bubble counter... do I fill that up with liquid or something? I am not at all familiar with bubble counters...

I get the regulator, but where is the needle valve? I got the same system mLemay got, but where do you adjust the needle valve? There is this thing that adjusts at the end of the bubble counter, but nothing else that seems to be an actually adjustable needle valve. Hmmm. All help is apprecieted, thanks!

-Tim
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2003, 08:54 PM   #2
cousin it
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to cousin it

I know some companies sell bubble counter fluid, but personally I have always used boiled or distilled water for mine and have yet to have any problems from doing so.
I am not familiar with that particular co2 unit so cannot help any further sorry.
cousin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:55 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Yes, you fill the bubble counter with liquid. There are even some inert liquids specifically available for bubble counters that won't become saturated with CO2 and degrade over time. I'd just use water for now to get started.

As for the needle valve, I am not familiar with your system so I can't offer much help. It could be the small valve on the end of the bubble counter, though. Needle valves are pretty small. I just ordered mine from marine monsters yesterday. Got my regulator in from keg factory yesterday as well and it looks like an amazingly high quality piece. Very heavy.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, thanks for the quick reply! Now I just need to figure out the needle valve...

-Tim
Old 01-07-2003, 10:29 PM   #5
cvarcher
Algae Grower

Tim if its that $89.99 deal from Customaquatics looking at the picture of it the needle valve is that brass knurled round knob at the bottom of the bubble counter.The main black knob is for your set working pressure on the second gauge ( which may work at 5psi)and the main gauge is for reading the tanks residual gas .
Old 01-07-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The knob at the end, below the bubble counter is for the needle valve. The bubble counter on our setup sits right on top of the needle valve. So yes, you do have a needle valve. I filled my bubble counter with mineral oil but you could use plain old water, distilled would be better to avoid mineral deposts inside the counter. I used mineral oil so that I wouldn't have to keep refilling it due to evaporation. If you got anymore questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Send me a U2U.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:03 PM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies... this is so exciting. For now I hooked my solenoid to the same strip that my lights are on ( the strip is connected to a timer) so it will do that for now. The pH controller seems a bit complex... Thanks again!

-Tim