Breeding Bushynose Plecos
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
Archerofthemoon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Breeding Bushynose Plecos

Yesterday at a fish auction I picked up a bag of peacock gudgeons and a pair of bushynose plecos. Anyone know how to breed the plecs? I know they like soft acidic water and you can change water right before a thunderstorm to replicate the rainy season, but is there anything else aside from that?

Planted tanks:
40 long
Show tanks: 120 (needs to be setup), 75 FH tank
Archerofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 AM   #2
Riley
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley

Check this out...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesw...article_id=244

Its on general pleco breeding with a few specifics to Ancistrus.

Im sure there are some other articles specific to Ancistrus on Planet Catfish...that was just the quickest I could find.

Check it out:

http://www.planetcatfish.com

Apistos, plecs and plants

MiAPG (Michigan Aquatic Plant Group) - Join today!
Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 AM   #3
cliner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

I've been breeding bristlenose pleco for the past three months and i have to say they are they easiest egglayer I have ever breed. I virtually do nothing and they spawn every four weeks or so. I read somewhere that a dirty tank simulates what it would be like in a river bed when the water level drops during the dry season. Anyway, here are my specs:
  • 20 L with low light
  • Temp: 80 F
  • PH: 7 KH: 3-5 (don't really check these anymore)
  • Homemade clam shell spawning cave and malaysian driftwood. (Ancistrus are cave spawners and they like a cave with only one opening).
  • I have 1 male and three females. They are fed lightly boiled zuchinni, frozen string beans, algae wafers and froz. bloodworms.
  • When the male is seen inside the cave I know there are eggs. Eggs hatch in about 5 days. Fry feed on algae in tank after one week then onto zuc, and frozen frech-cut string beans (the split beans allows easier access to the soft part of the bean)
Side note: Ancistrus create alot of waste. Also, I do cold rain wayter water changes, but i'm not sure if it triggers them like it does with my blue rams and apistos.
cliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
susankat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

The cooler water helps induce spawning. Best if before a storm but will most of the time work at anytime. Mine are in a 75 gal at 78 F with a ph of 7.4. When ever I change 20 to 30 % with cooler water they spawn. I use broken clay pots for this so that if I want I can remove the eggs to hatch in a smaller tank.

I have some now that will probably start hatching tomorrow. Here is a pic of the eggs.

susankat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.