Help with a scud infestation!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
alexopolus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to alexopolus Send a message via Yahoo to alexopolus

Help with a scud infestation!

I'm really annoyed with these guys! The infestation got so bad that they infested my canister filters and my tank was cloudy for a while and I couldn't figure out why? So yesterday I washed all my media, (tons of those bastard in it) and today my tank water is pristine! But of course, when I messed with my filter and soil trying to catch them I got some casualties noticed a couple of young CRS carcasses.
I'm fish in them out with cucumber, for some reason they swarm it a lot more than they do with squash.
Anyone with a good idea of how to eradicate them?
The tank is a 80G

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
alexopolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Regular maint of filter would help .Some folk's only clean their filter's every few month's or twice a year.Might try once a month for a while.
If you are able to vaccum the substrate say one half one week,and the other half the following week,this too can help.At least vaccum where you can for a few week's to help clean up substrate.
Give anything that goes into the tank like plant's,rock's,wood,a good rinse or scrub before placing them in the tank from here on out.
Reduce amount of food's for a while to help starve the critter's.
these are some thing's I would try.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
kaz442
Algae Grower

What's a scud? Pics?

JKaz
kaz442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz442 View Post
What's a scud? Pics?

JKaz
Tiny flea or shrimp like creatures that feed on organic matter.
Google is your friend.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I googled the picture and Ive seen one in my tank. It's supposed to be part of clean up crew, but if you don't like them, fish would eat them.
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Destroy the tank and start over. Be sure the boil the substrate to the depths of hell.

80G with scuds - you won't find them all and get rid of them all if they have a good population running.
shrimpzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I know someone who will take them off your hands if you would bother to ship them.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
briscoe
Algae Grower

If you truly want to get rid of them, you'll need to completely tear the tank down and start over. But be warned, this might not even do the trick. I tried this way once and they still came back. I realized that I didn't completely get all of the substrate out of the tank (it was a 75 gallon tank and I didn't have anyone to help me move it). Some of them managed to stay behind and repopulate the "new" tank. If you go this route, you need to completely empty EVERYTHING in the tank. I would even recommend going with new substrate.

If this is absolutely not an option, then you could try to manage the scud population with traps. I used a mesh filter bag with the smallest air line tubing I could find. I would put a piece of zucchini in the bag, and tie the top of the bag around the airline tubing so only something that could fit in the tubing could get into the bag. I would add it before I went to bed and then take it out the next morning (I've heard that they're nocturnal). Be sure to empty the bag into a cup of the tank's water to be sure that no baby shrimplets snuck in to get a snack. Every time I did this, the bag would be filled with them. But this will never completely get rid of them.

Good luck.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
JeffE
Algae Grower

i would gladly take some scuds off your hands!
JeffE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
ChadO
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

One other thing to add is if you do take down your tank and start over, remember that they hide in plants very well. One of the first times, I put my plants (moss and floaters) in a bucket while I re-did the whole tank by dumping substrate, rinsing, putting in clean substrate. I then shook out my plants and put the plants and floaters back in. Later that night saw a few scuds running around in my "new" tank. You get so focused at looking at them running around the substrate that you forget the other areas they hide out in. Sponge filters are another favorite hiding spot - the babies can bury deep in the sponge and you don't see them for a few days. Anyway, maybe obvious to others, but these things tripped me up on my first attempt at a tank reset. If it was in the tank before the reset, be very careful about putting it back into the new tank.
ChadO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

Aren't these beneficial?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I believe they can harm young shrimp and maybe over-compete shrimp for food.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
ChadO
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
I believe they can harm young shrimp and maybe over-compete shrimp for food.
Yep, this is right on - at least for the over-compete - which could eventually lead to harm. While I don't know their exact reproduction rate, it seems like it is much faster than the shrimp you want to keep! They are hard on mosses that you have in your tank for your young shrimp, and if you want to get rid of them, anything that will eliminate them, would also eliminate your shrimp.

In the past, I have used a turkey baster to suck them out and into a container, and then take that down to my 90 gal which has angels and tetras. The fish enjoy the live food, and any scud that doesn't immediately get eaten eventually ventures out and gets picked off later on. Once I get tired of this game of trying to keep up, I eventually just reset the tank.

Last edited by ChadO; 01-23-2014 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: phrasing
Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #14
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

So if you have fish they will be under control, correct?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:10 AM   #15
ChadO
Planted Member

Yeah, if you had a small school of fish that liked live food, stayed in the mid to lower portion of the tank, you'd have a crew that would do serious damage to scuds. In the past with problem tanks, I tended to see them both with lights on and off. If the scuds started to wise up and become more active at night, I'll bet an inexpensive moonlight on the tank would give the predator fish a better chance to hunt them 24x7.