Planning Stages- 1,000,000+ Gallon Pond
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier

PTrader: (448/100%)
Talking

Planning Stages- 1,000,000+ Gallon Pond

I recently purchased a place with 5 acres and am planning on digging a 0.25 acre pond that is 15 feet deep which would give me roughly a 1 million gallon pond. Right now I am trying to figure out how to get rid of that much dirt. Luckily I have a good buddy who is a foreman for an excavation company so digging it isnt an issue its just the removal of the dirt. I really dont want to pay a fortune having it trucked out.

My plans for the tank are for both swimming and fishing. I am also planning a semi-island style green for chipping and putting(most important).

Has anyone taken on a project pond of this size? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
nilocg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier

Sorry, meant for this to go in the pond section, can someone move it?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Wow, seems like a massive project. Maybe make some hills out of the excavated dirt on the property. You might want to bring in experts for this. Obviously you can't use a liner for this. Water loss and erosion would be the biggest issue I see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

as for the dirt.... you could try posting it on craigslist. when i needed to level off my yard i found literally tons of free dirt on there.
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukekiller View Post
as for the dirt.... you could try posting it on craigslist. when i needed to level off my yard i found literally tons of free dirt on there.
Free fill dirt shouldn't be tough to get rid of. Excavators should be able to help you there.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Wow, seems like a massive project. Maybe make some hills out of the excavated dirt on the property. You might want to bring in experts for this. Obviously you can't use a liner for this. Water loss and erosion would be the biggest issue I see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I hafta say I have much the same concern after I read this and fully acknowledge that the following isn't pertinent to your question. I don't know anything about the geology that goes into the natural creation of ponds, but from what I've seen in my neck of the woods they don't look anything like what people buy in the stores. In other words I think ponds are created by naturally impairing the flow of a stream, creek or other continuous water source (think beaver dam here), and depend on the flow of water to maintain the characteristics of what we call a pond. So if you're think of diverting or blocking a small stream, I'll just caution you that we live in a world where that just isn't as easy as it used to be and may bring some "Agency" to visit you. I'm sincerely just throwing that caution out there just in case it's part of your plan and truly not trying to be negative in any way. I think it's an awesome idea and wish I could do the same, frankly.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I hafta say I have much the same concern after I read this and fully acknowledge that the following isn't pertinent to your question. I don't know anything about the geology that goes into the natural creation of ponds, but from what I've seen in my neck of the woods they don't look anything like what people buy in the stores. In other words I think ponds are created by naturally impairing the flow of a stream, creek or other continuous water source (think beaver dam here), and depend on the flow of water to maintain the characteristics of what we call a pond. So if you're think of diverting or blocking a small stream, I'll just caution you that we live in a world where that just isn't as easy as it used to be and may bring some "Agency" to visit you. I'm sincerely just throwing that caution out there just in case it's part of your plan and truly not trying to be negative in any way. I think it's an awesome idea and wish I could do the same, frankly.

I wont be affecting any streams or rivers, I will be using well water to keep it full. The water table is very high here and floods in the winter. I will also be contacting the county to make sure its legit.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ecosyslagos/videos
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
I wont be affecting any streams or rivers, I will be using well water to keep it full. The water table is very high here and floods in the winter. I will also be contacting the county to make sure its legit.
Gottcha. I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 AM   #10
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

They do make pond liner that big, but if the area has a tendency to keep itself topped off anyway (even if just seasonally) then look into bentonite. It is a clay sort of material that will help the natural soil to be more resistant to draining. Not 100% impervious, but in a situation like this it might be the answer.

As to what to do with that much dirt, only dig it halfway, and use the dirt to build up the sides?
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #11
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

As to what to do with that much dirt, only dig it halfway, and use the dirt to build up the sides?
I had much the same thought when the area is described as having a high water table. It doesn't seem like that much dirt that couldn't be spread back in some fashion. But that's certainly an idea that doesn't come from seeing the property and doesn't have much excavating experience other than digging up millions of boulders that we grow like potatoes in NE Pa.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
bluecheese
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

So, have you started on this project? I'm interested to see pictures.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
henrietta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

sub'd in advance

my uncle has a system like this, though yours will undoubtably be about twice the size. i believe his is kind of dug like a pool: concrete was laid at the bottom to prevent any leakage into the ground that could cause major property damage should the system slowly start to saturate the soil and create a swamp... i believe he went with concrete due to concern over rips in a liner b/c of weight. over the concrete he put a couple feet of dirt, and then the sides of the pond were supported by hand-laid stone. kind of like brick & mortar but obviously a lot nicer looking

i'm also very interested in pictures if you've started your project! @u@