Planning Stages- 1,000,000+ Gallon Pond
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #1
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier
 
PTrader: (474/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,440
Talking

Planning Stages- 1,000,000+ Gallon Pond


I recently purchased a place with 5 acres and am planning on digging a 0.25 acre pond that is 15 feet deep which would give me roughly a 1 million gallon pond. Right now I am trying to figure out how to get rid of that much dirt. Luckily I have a good buddy who is a foreman for an excavation company so digging it isnt an issue its just the removal of the dirt. I really dont want to pay a fortune having it trucked out.

My plans for the tank are for both swimming and fishing. I am also planning a semi-island style green for chipping and putting(most important).

Has anyone taken on a project pond of this size? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
nilocg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier
 
PTrader: (474/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,440
Default

Sorry, meant for this to go in the pond section, can someone move it?
nilocg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,262
Default

Wow, seems like a massive project. Maybe make some hills out of the excavated dirt on the property. You might want to bring in experts for this. Obviously you can't use a liner for this. Water loss and erosion would be the biggest issue I see.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Gloucester, Virginia
Posts: 513
Default

as for the dirt.... you could try posting it on craigslist. when i needed to level off my yard i found literally tons of free dirt on there.
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bushkill, Pa
Posts: 1,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukekiller View Post
as for the dirt.... you could try posting it on craigslist. when i needed to level off my yard i found literally tons of free dirt on there.
Free fill dirt shouldn't be tough to get rid of. Excavators should be able to help you there.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bushkill, Pa
Posts: 1,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Wow, seems like a massive project. Maybe make some hills out of the excavated dirt on the property. You might want to bring in experts for this. Obviously you can't use a liner for this. Water loss and erosion would be the biggest issue I see.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I hafta say I have much the same concern after I read this and fully acknowledge that the following isn't pertinent to your question. I don't know anything about the geology that goes into the natural creation of ponds, but from what I've seen in my neck of the woods they don't look anything like what people buy in the stores. In other words I think ponds are created by naturally impairing the flow of a stream, creek or other continuous water source (think beaver dam here), and depend on the flow of water to maintain the characteristics of what we call a pond. So if you're think of diverting or blocking a small stream, I'll just caution you that we live in a world where that just isn't as easy as it used to be and may bring some "Agency" to visit you. I'm sincerely just throwing that caution out there just in case it's part of your plan and truly not trying to be negative in any way. I think it's an awesome idea and wish I could do the same, frankly.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier
 
PTrader: (474/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I hafta say I have much the same concern after I read this and fully acknowledge that the following isn't pertinent to your question. I don't know anything about the geology that goes into the natural creation of ponds, but from what I've seen in my neck of the woods they don't look anything like what people buy in the stores. In other words I think ponds are created by naturally impairing the flow of a stream, creek or other continuous water source (think beaver dam here), and depend on the flow of water to maintain the characteristics of what we call a pond. So if you're think of diverting or blocking a small stream, I'll just caution you that we live in a world where that just isn't as easy as it used to be and may bring some "Agency" to visit you. I'm sincerely just throwing that caution out there just in case it's part of your plan and truly not trying to be negative in any way. I think it's an awesome idea and wish I could do the same, frankly.

I wont be affecting any streams or rivers, I will be using well water to keep it full. The water table is very high here and floods in the winter. I will also be contacting the county to make sure its legit.
nilocg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru
 
AGUILAR3's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles 626
Posts: 1,013
Default

check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ecosyslagos/videos
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bushkill, Pa
Posts: 1,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
I wont be affecting any streams or rivers, I will be using well water to keep it full. The water table is very high here and floods in the winter. I will also be contacting the county to make sure its legit.
Gottcha. I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 03:07 AM   #10
Diana
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 8,014
Default

They do make pond liner that big, but if the area has a tendency to keep itself topped off anyway (even if just seasonally) then look into bentonite. It is a clay sort of material that will help the natural soil to be more resistant to draining. Not 100% impervious, but in a situation like this it might be the answer.

As to what to do with that much dirt, only dig it halfway, and use the dirt to build up the sides?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 03:23 AM   #11
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bushkill, Pa
Posts: 1,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

As to what to do with that much dirt, only dig it halfway, and use the dirt to build up the sides?
I had much the same thought when the area is described as having a high water table. It doesn't seem like that much dirt that couldn't be spread back in some fashion. But that's certainly an idea that doesn't come from seeing the property and doesn't have much excavating experience other than digging up millions of boulders that we grow like potatoes in NE Pa.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
bluecheese
Planted Member
 
bluecheese's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 233
Default

So, have you started on this project? I'm interested to see pictures.
__________________
non ducor duco
bluecheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
henrietta
Algae Grower
 
henrietta's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: pacific northwest
Posts: 41
Default

sub'd in advance

my uncle has a system like this, though yours will undoubtably be about twice the size. i believe his is kind of dug like a pool: concrete was laid at the bottom to prevent any leakage into the ground that could cause major property damage should the system slowly start to saturate the soil and create a swamp... i believe he went with concrete due to concern over rips in a liner b/c of weight. over the concrete he put a couple feet of dirt, and then the sides of the pond were supported by hand-laid stone. kind of like brick & mortar but obviously a lot nicer looking

i'm also very interested in pictures if you've started your project! @u@
__________________
tank journals tba
henrietta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 03:35 AM   #14
psych
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 198
Default

Is.. is there an update on this
psych is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #15
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\
 
PTrader: (107/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anderson, CA
Posts: 5,542
Default

You could do some pretty serious landscaping. Lots of rolling hills. Lol
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012