Alge is not my friend
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-22-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
cruizer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

So I have strings of algae comming off some of my plants. And it's growing on my glass. Tank has been stocked with plants for close to two weeks. I have now 6 SAE's (had 4 up until yesterday)
1 clown knife
2 angels
1 angelicius cat
1 blue gourami
1 bala shark

My water parameters are:
KH = 12 deg
GH = 20 deg
PH = 7.2
PO4 = 0
NO3 = 0

So what can I go to rid of algae?

Tanks!
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 12:47 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Make those plants grow! That should help. The usual stuff, light, nutrients and perhaps some CO2. All plants need NO3, PO4, K, CO2, and some traces to grow. If you measure zilch, and don't add any, plants will suffer, and algae will get into their spot. Also, with hard water, adding CO2 helps a lot.

(Not sure if you have sufficient light or add CO2 already... let us know.)
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 AM   #3
cruizer
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

If you go to the aquariBlog link in the signature, you can see everything I have.
Basically I have DIY CO2 and a 55W CF on for 12 hrs a day.
My plants are growing, I've noticed that.

FYI, 5 days ago here were my water parameters:
kh=11deg
gh=18deg
ph=7
phos=.1
nitrates=5
Old 02-23-2004, 01:52 AM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I read some of it. Light seems to be okay, CO2 a little high, if your kH and pH measurements are correct. So I would focus on nutrients. IME if you have great plant growth, algae problems will disappear all by themselves. Give it a few weeks to stabilize, and try to keep your N and P levels above zero.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:16 AM   #5
cruizer
Planted Member

OK, kewl.
So please excuse my ignorance because I am new at this stuff.
But how do I keep my P and N up?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:23 AM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Hey, ignorance is if you DON'T ask these questions!

To keep NO3 at around 5 to 10 ppm, you should use KNO3.

To adjust PO4, you can use either KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate) or Fleet Enema.

Consider also adding some K2SO4 if you suspect Potassium deficiency (brown spots/holes developing in sword plants, for example).

You can order all chemicals from Greg Watsons website, for example. Then use the calculator from Chucks Pages to figure out how to mix the stuff and how much to add.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:22 AM   #7
cruizer
Planted Member

Great! Kewl! Tanks!!

Who's Greg Watson?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
cruizer
Planted Member

Nevermind, found him!

So what would be an ideal amount to buy? Will 1lb last me awhile, or last me a little? On averge.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:09 PM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

To add nutrients to a planted tank, a pound of KNO3 will last you a long time. 2 lbs of K2SO4 will last you just as long. A pound of KH2PO4 will last you several hundred years. :mrgreen:
Old 02-23-2004, 03:18 PM   #10
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
To add nutrients to a planted tank, a pound of KNO3 will last you a long time. 2 lbs of K2SO4 will last you just as long. A pound of KH2PO4 will last you several hundred years. :mrgreen:

LOL
Old 02-23-2004, 03:39 PM   #11
cruizer
Planted Member

Well thank you veryt much! I'll get right onto ordering me some!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:25 PM   #12
cruizer
Planted Member

So here's the current deal. I recieved the chemicals on wednseday. that night I dosed according to Chucks calculator (I don't remember what amounts I dosed off the top of my head, but I have a journal at home I am keeping track of everything in). Anyways, I dosed KN03, K2SO4, and KH2PO4. (My friend came over and I tried to convince him I was selling cocane, but apparently he knows me too well!) The next day (thursday) I checked my levels, and P04 was a little over .5, and my nitrates were 0. So I dosed nitrates again (that I know is a little over 1/8th teaspoon). I waited about 2 hours and I checked No3 (to make sure my test kit was working correctly) and it checked out, NO3 was at 5ppm.

Well My algae is still growing. In fact it's getting thicker. I even have brown algae growing as well (I hear there's not much to do about that, just gotta wait it out). Well I checked my NO3 again this morning before I left for work. Back down to 0. So I dosed again. Waited 30 minutes and checked. Back up to 5ppm. I decided to unplug the light today, to help prevent more algae growth, and maybe hopefully keep the nitrates in the tank for one full day.

So is this going to be a daily thing, dosing Nitrates? Or is this because it's a fairly new tank, and I'm only gonna have to do it daily for the first few months, and then maybe weekly or whatever?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #13
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Dosing fertilizers does not kill algae. It helps plants to grow, which in turn supresses algae. The increase in algae is (hopefully) temporary. The more plants you have, the faster you will see those algae disappear. If you have very few plants, that won't work.

One theory about the quickly disappearing NO3 is that plants are "starved" and take up all the Nitrates very fast. Of course you should see some major improvement of plant growth and health along with that.

I would probably dose (after testing the level!) every second day, and later twice a week... but it depends a lot on the density of your underwater jungle, and on the light intensity, kind of plants, etc etc. High light = high maintenance tanks might require daily dosing of micros, and NO3 every other day (no thanks :mrgreen: not for me!).

I would not unplug the light. That hurts your plants...
Old 02-27-2004, 04:07 PM   #14
cruizer
Planted Member

Great Thanks!
For soem reason, I think I misunderstood and got it into my head that levels up = algae gone, not plants growing = algae gone. But in actuality it is: levels up = plants growing = algae gone. HA HA.

I noticed also that in your first post to this thread you said traces too. What do you mean by traces, things like Flourish?
I started dosing Flourish last week. Put in 1ml like the bottle said. Did 1ml this week too when I did my water change.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:02 PM   #15
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Flourish is a good trace mix, I use that and Flourish Iron, once or twice a week.