help with first dirted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
bigred87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

help with first dirted tank

Hey guys I need your help. I am planning on setting up my first dirted tank! Its going to be for a 20 gallon tall. I have done some reseach but still have a couple questions for you guys.

Do I need red clay? And if so does it matter what brand I get?

Is 1-1.5 inch of soil and 2 inch of cap good?

Do you guys know of a good cheap cap I can use? I wanted to use black Diamond sand, but I can't find anyone who sells it in my area.

Last but not least. If you have any advice for me I would love to hear it!! Thank you!

Last edited by bigred87; 01-20-2014 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Wrong title
bigred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

There's as many threads on this as there are opinions. You might want to try the search function here.

That being said I just toss in a 2-3 inch layer of plain old top soil from the BBS. I capped one with black gravel I found on sale. Another I used play sand. I also waited a month before filling since I knew what plants were going in but not what fish.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
bigred87
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
There's as many threads on this as there are opinions. You might want to try the search function here.

That being said I just toss in a 2-3 inch layer of plain old top soil from the BBS. I capped one with black gravel I found on sale. Another I used play sand. I also waited a month before filling since I knew what plants were going in but not what fish.
how thick was your cap? and whats bbs?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Hardy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Hey, i just dirted my 75

I did 1 inch of Miracle grow organic potting mix and 1-1.5 inches of black diamond. You could use pool filter sand (natural sand) or since it is only a 20g high, buying black aquarium sand from petco / petsmart etc wouldn't be too expensive

I don't think you need clay, from all my research it is just one of those things that some people try while others don't. It helps retain some of the nutrients and adds a little iron, however depending on the plant choices and how long you are leaving this set up (1-2 years or 10) will really be the determining factor
Hardy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
bigred87
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
Hey, i just dirted my 75

I did 1 inch of Miracle grow organic potting mix and 1-1.5 inches of black diamond. You could use pool filter sand (natural sand) or since it is only a 20g high, buying black aquarium sand from petco / petsmart etc wouldn't be too expensive

I don't think you need clay, from all my research it is just one of those things that some people try while others don't. It helps retain some of the nutrients and adds a little iron, however depending on the plant choices and how long you are leaving this set up (1-2 years or 10) will really be the determining factor
If you dont mind me asking where did u get black diamond from? I want to run this set up for a while more than a couple years. And i want a amazon sword so i was think i might need clay.