Green LEDs benefit?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Build My LED

Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
angelcraze
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Green LEDs benefit?

Hi, I still haven't ordered my BML fixture, but will, and am still researching the best option for me. So I have a question.

I was wondering what the purpose of the green LEDs are in the Dutch Planted fixture. I know green light (in the Kelvin world) is for our eyes, to represent brightness. I wasn't sure if the green LEDs in the Dutch Planted were to make the spectrum appear more pleasing to our eyes, or if they were actually useful for plant growth.

I ask this, because if green plants reflect green light, and absorb red and blue spectrum for photosynthesis, than does this mean red plants reflect red light and absorb colours in the green and blue spectrum?

Does the Dutch Planted 6300k fixture actually help red plants grow better than the 10000K? Or is all appearances?

Just so curious, I am still deciding between the 6300k and 10000k.

Thanks.
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Build My LED
Sponsor

Hello. The Dutch spectrum was created to maximize the beauty in a Dutch-style planted tank. The green (and Cyan) LEDs in the Dutch spectrum really display the true beauty of your plants. The 10000K offers much higher PAR levels compared to the 6300K, but the colors of your plants will not look as good compared to the 6300K. Plants use all light between 400-700nm, so the green light will definitely help grow your plants. However, it is not absorbed as fast as blue and red, so this is why the plants appear green. Many people think all of the green light is reflected, but this is 100% incorrect. Overall, choose the 10000K if you want to maximize growth, and get the 6300K if you want to maximize the beauty of your tank. Many customers use one of each over the same tank, and the resulting growth and color is hard to beat.

Remember...plants do not have color. The color you see in your plants is actually the reflected light from your lighting system. Hence, if your lighting system did not contain any red wavelengths, you would never see red in your plants. The Dutch spectrum contains 3 different types of Red LEDs, and this is the reason red plants look so good under the Dutch spectrum. Red plants look good under the 10000K as well (since this spectrum contains red LEDs), but red plants do not look as nice compared to the Dutch.

Nick
Build My LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
angelcraze
Planted Member

Thank you for responding so quickly, Nick!! This question's been bothering me for a while.

So I get it straight..........red plants don't absorb red colour as quickly. So they absorb green and blue colour more readily? Or which colours do red plants absorb the fastest if for green plants, it's red and blue. Does the green LED colour in the Dutch Planted help red plants to grow quicker than the green light included in the 6500k white lights?

This is very hard to explain, what I want to ask, at least for me it is, your explanation seemed so clear.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
Cara@BML
Sponsor

Hi Angelcraze,

If you've ever kept red plants like Ludwigia 'Red' in lower light levels, you'll quickly see it revert to green coloration...it stays quite happy and healthy, it just isn't that lovely red color we desire. This is because many plants produce their red pigments when they're receiving too much light; essentially, if you overdrive the chloroplasts, they're producing an equivalent of sunscreen to block excess light. So some red plants are trying to block most light, not simply red.

As far as greens being useful for photosynthesis, they are useful but they're not as useful as certain other parts of the spectrum. The main reason we run two greens (a 525nm and a cyan 505nm) is because it separates out the shades of greens and renders those colors extremely nicely. In fact this was the first thing I ever noticed about the Dutch 6300K spectrum when I placed it on one of my tanks...my wall of lime green plants were no longer all the same color and I could now see darker olive greens, light celadon greens, deeper emerald tones, and so on. So while all the red LEDs in this spectrum make your red/pink/orange colors really glow, don't underestimate how it enhances greens as well.

I hope this answered or clarified your questions, but if not just let me know!

Cheers,

Cara
Cara@BML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
angelcraze
Planted Member

That's perfect thanks, the green LEDs are more beneficial for aesthetics than photosynthesis. Your answer still makes it very hard, if not harder to choose between the 10000 planted and 6300k dutch, LOL.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcraze View Post
That's perfect thanks, the green LEDs are more beneficial for aesthetics than photosynthesis. Your answer still makes it very hard, if not harder to choose between the 10000 planted and 6300k dutch, LOL.

12" Board: (8) 6500K Cool White, (2) 625nm Red, (1) 470nm Blue, (1) 505nm Cyan, (1) 525nm Green, (1) 615nm Orange/Red, (1) 660nm Deep Red

12" Board: (10) 5700K Cool White, (3) 660nm Deep Red, (2) 450nm Royal Blue

10000k looks "bluer" and has a higher PAR rating..
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
angelcraze
Planted Member

jeffkrol, I think you understand my dilemma, I know I am not the only one, LOL. Thanks for the explanation .
Old 03-24-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcraze View Post
jeffkrol, I think you understand my dilemma, I know I am not the only one, LOL. Thanks for the explanation .
The "fun" thing about BML is the "BM" part..
You really seem to be leaning towards something like this:
http://forum.buildmyled.com/index.ph...-spectrum.225/
my personal "tweak" of that concept:

PERSONALLY, green, orange, and yellow LED's are the 2 I would be hard pressed to use.. anytime...but that is just me......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-24-2014 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: led add
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote