Dutch-esque
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #1
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

Dutch-esque

Thanks to the rain, I had the day off from work today, and as it goes got to thinking about changing my tank...

I have been having stunting issues for a while now with my rotalas, and I'm convinced it is because of circulation/CO2 issues. The idea for this 'scape is to try to place all the plants in spots where they will be happy, satisfy my collectoritis urges, and hopefully try to have a nice looking tank for once.

The tank this morning:

The tank now:
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
chippie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

very nice tank what are the specs and plants
chippie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
MrJP
Algae Grower

Who gets the day off when it rains??? Gee...I need to get me a job like that!

Some specs would be nice. Now all you need is to wait for the plants to grow back to get a better idea of where you're at. Hopefully those crypts dont suffer to much from being moved...

JP
MrJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Quote:
Who gets the day off when it rains
Roofers. And construction workers among others. Which means in places that get a lot of rain they may not be working and unfortunately not bringing home a paycheck at certain times of the year. Good money, but a bit hard to budget!

Minsc: I like the new 'scape! Nice and clean, good lines. Do you think you're going to have any problems from moving those crypts? I assume they're crypts anyway. My crypts hate me .

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

Chippie: Let's see, specs and plants... 40g breeder, 2x55 AH fixture, XP3 on full blast, Rex Grigg reactor as a recent upgrade from a rhinox diffuser, Aquasoil Amazonia, EI dosing and 50% weekly water change.

The plant list is quite extensive, I definitely have collectoritis. I think there are over 20 species. If you would like, I can list them all, but it might take me a while!

MrJP, RoseHawke: Yep, I'm a roofer. People seem to be a bit jealous when they hear how much time off I get, but don't seem to be jealous when I come home dirty, bleeding and feeling as if I got hit by a truck. Everything has it's trade offs...

I'm sure there will be some rot with the crypts. There has always been some rot on them, but they seem to grow fast enough to make up for it and get bigger anyway.

Anyway, I can't wait until the plants grow in a bit, I'm really happy with this revision so far!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #6
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJP View Post
Who gets the day off when it rains??? Gee...I need to get me a job like that!

Don't forget the cell phone tower climbers And believe me, you don't want a job like that. Unsteady pay has been shown in the state of California to cause stress and heart attacks.

And nice tank btw.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
MrJP
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Minsc;470796]
MrJP, RoseHawke: Yep, I'm a roofer. People seem to be a bit jealous when they hear how much time off I get, but don't seem to be jealous when I come home dirty, bleeding and feeling as if I got hit by a truck. Everything has it's trade offs...
QUOTE]

This was just one of my lame attempts to crack a joke guys...no harm or direspect intented! When I read this, I was sitting in my office while it was pouring outside...so it was just to good to pass up! Just trying to get a rise out of y'all!

Btw those 40 breeder look awesome and seem perfect for a medium size planted tank. I honestly tought the tank was much bigger than that...the extra dept really make a difference! Nice!

Cheers.

JP
MrJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsc View Post

no harm or direspect intented!
none taken. I'd trade for your inside job any day, especially the rainy ones
Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

MrJP, I assure you, no offense was taken. I can definitely understand wanting a day off

One week update:
My fish seem to really like the new 'scape. The harlequins like the expanded swimming area, the SAEs have claimed the newly cleared wood as their throne, and the otos seem to be very fond of the placement of the reineckii. As for plant health, the crypt melt was minimal, the macrandra looks better than it has in a really long time, and it seems that the najenshan and wallichii are stunting much less. There was a bit of a bump in the road where the CO2 was turned down to low for a day, and the plants responded negatively...
I do think I'm on the right track, but it is still too early to declare victory. I have also raised the lights a bit to further help the plants recovery.

Unfortunately, I still have a horrible oil slick on the surface, and I am seeing where some mid ground plants are going to come into conflict as they grow in. Over all, I'm still pretty happy with the set up, I can just see some tweaking is in store.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #10
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

Week 3 update:
I am nearly stunted plant free! I ended up buying a fabco needle valve to replace my clippard, and the difference is night and day. I took me only a few seconds to adjust my bubble count to exactly where I wanted (2.5 bps), and it has been rock steady ever since. My plants have all been very happy with the increased and steady CO2 rate. I still haven't quite dealt with the oil slick on the water, and I still have a bit of various algaes, but I will beat them

Week 2:

Week 3:
Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 AM   #11
mpodolan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Those Fabcos work great. This one is filling in nicely. It might look cool if you let it grow into a jungle
mpodolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

2 months later:
Old 12-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
kzr750r1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Nice Carpet! Well done. Come to think of it I need to trim out mine for some open space as well.
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #14
Subotaj
Planted Member

Excellent tank!
very well done!

Nice lotus/ Nuphar on the back right corner will feet excellent here.

Subotaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

Very nice tank, GREEN
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.