Cloudy water with Aquasoil?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 AM   #1
dooboogoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Cloudy water with Aquasoil?

I just replaced my substrate from normal gravel to ADA AS Amazonia a couple days ago in my 5.5g RCS tank. I let it sit in a bucket with water, changing it every day to leech out as much ammonia, since I heard that AS does that.

Anyway, when I replaced the AS, the tank water was full of debris, but its all still a little cloudy. Should I just do a few water changes or will it clear up over time?

The tank is moderately planted and there are only shrimp in the tank. I didn't replace any of the filter media and I got only one shrimp death in the past few days, so I don't think it has anything to do with ammonia levels. Could it be a bacteria bloom?

Any help would be appreciated.
dooboogoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Do a few WCs still....
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooboogoo View Post
I just replaced my substrate from normal gravel to ADA AS Amazonia a couple days ago in my 5.5g RCS tank. I let it sit in a bucket with water, changing it every day to leech out as much ammonia, since I heard that AS does that.

Anyway, when I replaced the AS, the tank water was full of debris, but its all still a little cloudy. Should I just do a few water changes or will it clear up over time?

The tank is moderately planted and there are only shrimp in the tank. I didn't replace any of the filter media and I got only one shrimp death in the past few days, so I don't think it has anything to do with ammonia levels. Could it be a bacteria bloom?

Any help would be appreciated.
That sounds like the probable reason. Even though you probably did eliminate much of the Ammonia, believe me it still may be leaching out but in significantly smaller doses. You can always test to make sure and the shrimp death (even if one) is a sign that there still might be a small amount being discharged. I think water changes would be a prudent course of action to remedy that bacterial bloom (if indeed that is what you are seeing, i.e. a white cloudy translucency)...hope this helps!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
dooboogoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

I'm doing a WC right now, hopefully it'll clear up!
dooboogoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
ringram
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram

be careful if you stir up the substrate. I did a rescape (leaving fish in the tank) and the water got a bit cloudy (NH4+) and I ended up losing 2 or 3 cardinal tetras and 4 rummynoses. If your fish/shrimp are sensitive, it's probably best to remove them if you do any moving around or changing things in there.

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
ringram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
trfjason
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

And remember not to disturb the Aquasoil when refilling the aquarium after the water change.
trfjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Nbot
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yes that's one of the lame things of AS..it might take 2 weeks+ of DAILY 50% water changes before it clears up...
Old 10-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
trfjason
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was fixing the scape and I got a big cloud, the water is white-brown, took 3 days of 2x 75% water change everday to clear it.
trfjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Nbot
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

next time buy Eco...that's my current opinion, more forgiving for us folks that like to rearrange things...
Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
gotcheaprice
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'm using oil dri, hopefully it isn't as bad as AS D: I guess I should do WC everyday, but should i stir up some of the dirt cause it creates a layer of dust after some of it settles.
gotcheaprice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 03:28 AM   #11
iridescencet
Algae Grower

Hi, i'm using AS amazonia and africana myself. in the first few weeks of using AS the water will turn cloudy, especially so if you add more bacterial addictives.

more importantly, AS cannot be washed or soaked before being used. it won't help reduce cloudiness and in fact will make it worst.

Don't worry about this cloudiness though, i'd recommend doing the normal weekly water changes (as you would in any tank) and just leaving the cloudiness alone. (try not to add bacteria addictives, or if you insist, reduce the dosage by half)

as your tank matures, this cloudiness wil eventually go away and never reappear (i took 2-3 months). after which all thats stired up is debri that will be cleared off by your filters or settle back down in less than an hour to be cleaned up by other fishes.
iridescencet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #12
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

iridescencet is correct. Once your inital bacterial bloom goes away it will probably never come back unless there is a dramatic change in the population of your fauna.
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #13
gotcheaprice
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Is cloudly water caused by bacteria? Would it be the same situation with oil dri? I think I might do WC every couple days to help with it, unless it won't help? Thanks.
gotcheaprice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
iridescencet
Algae Grower

in my experience yes, or at least most often it is. and i don't think a UV filter would help much in reducing the bacteria bloom. (bacteria dies in the UV, comes out and feeds the majority of bacteria, majority grows, cycle continues)

large water changes might help but its not practical to do so. (imagine changing half of a 100L tank every 2 days) in a week you'd have wasted (unless you've got smth to use the water well) 150L! could set up a new tank with that amount of water.and there would be no garuntee that the cloudiness would go away.

so i'd just leave it and maintain it like a normal tank.

whats oil dri btw?
iridescencet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
dougiefresh
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

All you have to do is run one batch of activated carbon in the filters and let it expire. This clears it up and is the easiest method for new tanks with ADA AS.

jbj 24dx red sea paintball co2
ada mini m
dougiefresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.