Shrimps (new video added in reply #76, Feb 5th, 2014) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #31
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
I'm curious, since you condition your water before it goes into the tanks and buffering substrate, do you notice a longer lifespan of your active substrates? Since they really dont need to buffer much by the time you get that water in, i would think it would extend it.
I would think so too. We've only started this for all tanks a couple of months ago so I can't tell you for sure.

I also set up a tank with old substrate that doesn't lower PH anymore. And I can keep the PH at around 6 with the treated RO. However, I do believe that PH is not the main thing these active substrate provides the shrimps with. The nutrients for microorganisms, the trace elements, the minerals, ... etc probably contribute a lot to a good shrimp tank too. So our experiment is more complicated than I have mentioned. We will post any result we think reliable enough when the time comes.
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #32
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

lol what is your opinion of me filling an external breeding box full of netlea substrate and having it be my buffer for my 30 gallon?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps223e33f9.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps208b836c.jpg

I did this because I was too lazy and not confident enough to create a sump for this purpose lol.

I would definitely try to set up my breeding tank like yours because it seems much cleaner in the future.
shrimpzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #33
lemonnoodle
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Beautiful! I'm very curious about what plant that is attached to the drift wood. Some sort of vine?
lemonnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #34
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpzoo View Post
lol what is your opinion of me filling an external breeding box full of netlea substrate and having it be my buffer for my 30 gallon?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps223e33f9.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps208b836c.jpg

I did this because I was too lazy and not confident enough to create a sump for this purpose lol.

I would definitely try to set up my breeding tank like yours because it seems much cleaner in the future.
I don't know. We tried to have a stackable tray to hold the substrate and move them out when "expired" and have new ones cycled in a tank without shrimps so we always have usable tray to swap. But that seems a lot of work. I know you're already doing it so you should be able to let us know how it works. I think it's a good idea if you can get a big enough breeder box to hold enough active substrate for the tank. It seems to me you will need a huge one for a 30G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonnoodle View Post
Beautiful! I'm very curious about what plant that is attached to the drift wood. Some sort of vine?
You mean those phoenix moss (fissidens fontanus)?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #35
lemonnoodle
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Yes! Very cool I'll have to look into getting some of that.
lemonnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 AM   #36
Melted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I really like the way you designed the tanks. using the idea in the future, please dont sue.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #37
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melted View Post
I really like the way you designed the tanks. using the idea in the future, please dont sue.
LOL, it wasn't invented by me anyway, I was just convinced that it works the best out of many other setups I've tried. Since I didn't get sued, you should be okay ;-)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #38
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nice, very nice setup. My question is what is the UGF hooked up to if you have the sponges on the AC70? Is the UGF airdriven or hooked to a canister?
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #39
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsplantednutz View Post
Nice, very nice setup. My question is what is the UGF hooked up to if you have the sponges on the AC70? Is the UGF airdriven or hooked to a canister?
Air driven. A lot ppl hook it up to canister intake but personally I think it's too strong, plus it's easier to set up than hooking up to canister/HOB intake.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #40
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Default New Pictures Added: Jan 26, 2014

2014/01/26 update: Some more pictures I took two days ago....

Wine Red just molted.

BKK Extreme (no, it's not chocolate ;-)

BKK Extreme fighting over a small piece of food... the babies are from BKK extreme x Pinto mischling.

One of the berried TB mischling.

BB and BBB (baby blue bolt lol)

This one is a half pinto (is there such thing?). I haven't found a mroe official definition for pinto so don't know what to call them. I'm using these hoping to get zebra pinto with spots on head. I love the fish bone line too but that is too expensive to own. May wait until they are more affordable or try to get some mischlings with fish bone gene.

The under side

I have high hope on these ones. I have about 8 of them and they all have the same pattern. A ingredient to breed pinto.
The pattern on the head looks more brownish in person, but with a macro lens taking close up you can see the tiny red dots.

Another adult pinto mischling. She is saddled again so will see what happens in this clutch.

Some of the high end CRS I just received. I got some from the same source in November. First batch of babies were born a few days ago and so far no golden seen yet. A few more berried female should release soon, so these might be pure red line? Regardless, their colour is amazing for the price I paid for.

Group shot

I kind of like this shot, it was accidental ;-) The shrimp in photo is a Tangerine Tiger from Germany.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Oh, right, how do I change the thread subject? Or it requires special privilege?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #42
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Your shrimp are stunning. Is it as popular hobby n Canada as USA?

I read that the most popular place is Japan but you wouldn't know it considering you never see any posts from there nor any shrimp sites from there .
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #43
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Your shrimp are stunning. Is it as popular hobby n Canada as USA?

I read that the most popular place is Japan but you wouldn't know it considering you never see any posts from there nor any shrimp sites from there .
I don't know how popular shrimp keeping is in Canada comparing to USA. But when I post on here I normally get more feedback than in Canadian sites. There are for sure some diehard shrimp keepers with fantastic shrimps I know of. Promoting shrimp keeping hobby is a long term goal of mine.

The market in Japan is huge, but language is a barrier. Even if you use online translator you still don't the full picture. I'm orginally from Taiwan where shrimp keeping is big. In any city you will find many serious breeders with amazing shrimps. I know a few guys there with 100+ tanks and it's just a hobby for them, although hobby normally translates to $$$ somewhat in the culture there together with bragging right.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #44
usgetata
Loving Bee Shrimps!

PTrader: (19/100%)

Loving the pictures! I am originally from Hong Kong and shrimp keeping is very popular there too. But due to expensive real estate people usually have one or two 5 or 10 gallons. But they do have many nice high end shrimps there.
usgetata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #45
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
I'm orginally from Taiwan where shrimp keeping is big. In any city you will find many serious breeders with amazing shrimps. I know a few guys there with 100+ tanks and it's just a hobby for them, although hobby normally translates to $$$ somewhat in the culture there together with bragging right.

which breeder are you importing your shrimp from in Taiwan?
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote