Substrate Holy Grail?!?! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #61
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Any update on this?
PeterN1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #62
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

PeterN1986: Sure, here you go

UPDATE: A little more noticable growth in the past few days. Something to definetly note is that one of the glosso runner stems seems to be not rooting into the substrate as much. Starting to see visible signs of the gloss staying lower and more compact with ActivFlora vs. Eco-Complete.

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 AM   #63
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Man you know what stinks about watching this lol. I live in Florida where this stuff is made and I can't find a single LFS that sells its.

Spent the morning calling around even called the manufacturer and they could not point me to one store that had it on shelf's lol.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:31 AM   #64
prighello
Shrimp Bane

PTrader: (2/100%)

Seems like they could sell a lot more if they pushed their distribution footprint and did some real marketing to build product awareness. Visually this stuff kicks eco-complete's a$$.
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 AM   #65
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hear ya. It's a hidden gem to say the least. I went to a semi LFS last week and saw 30+ bags of Eco-Complete and not one bag of ActivFlora. It a shame such a great product is so hard to find. My LFS here in RI has about 5 more bags left after they ordered a bunch a few weeks back. I'll be reserving 2 for a fellow PTF RI-er tomorrow. I wish shipping wasn't so darn expensive or I'd ship some out to people

12G Rimless Club

Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #66
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Gee, I feel like I should grab a couple bags from my LFS and put them aside for a rainy day!

If anyone needs some in LA...
kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 AM   #67
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

I honestly did just that kman a couple weeks ago. Around the same time I posted on here was when I finally found a LFS that could get in a decent amount of bags. A week after I posted on here many distributors sold out including the wholeseller my LFS bought their bags from. In any event I'm glad I purchased a few bags and might even buy their last few tomorrow when I go, just to be safe. I know one day I'll do another large tank or set up my rack system and be glad I bought it.

12G Rimless Club

Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #68
AHP
Algae Grower

Thansk for the updates. I am really starting to come around to ActivFlora.

One question that came up. If I remember correctly you said you have used this in tanks before.
My question is what is the longest you have used ActivFlora in a tank and at what time if any did the color fade?
AHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #69
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've used ActivFlora in 8 of my 14 tanks. The largest I have this in is my 12 long but that doesn't mean I wouldn't use it in a large tank. I really enjoy nano tanks (hence my name) so the majority of my tanks are under 12 gallons. My 12 long has had this substrate in it for a year and as far as I can tell it hasn't lightened at all. Kinda hard to tell though as the entire tank is covered in an immensely thick carpet of glosso though :-P. I can say though that I've had Eco-Complete in my 29 for the a year and 2 months and it has gotten lighter. I don't think the substrate it self changed color more that it used to be darker because the finer pieces were dark but after time they settle leaving the bigger lighter chunks at the surface. Unlike Eco-Complete ActivFlora never really settles as I can see as it's all uniform in size. Here's a quick list of my tanks and their evolution from start to now:

75g - Super Naturals Quartz based sand (not planted)
29g - Eco-Complete (heavily planted with stem plants mostly)
20L - Super Naturals Quartz based sand (few stem plants)
12L - ActivFlora (Glosso carpet)
10g - ActivFlora (Moss tree and java fern, redoing entire tank tonight or tomorrow with new plants)
4g - ActivFlora (Dwarf baby tears/dwarf hair grass carpet) (used to be Eco-Complete but failed to carpet properly)
2.5g - ActivFlora (Dwarf hair grass carpet)
2.5g - River rock (not planted)
2.5g - River rock (not planted)
2.5g - Eco-Complete (not planted)
2g - ActivFlora (Glosso carpet, stem plants) (used to be Eco-Complete but failed to carpet properly)
1g - ActivFlora (Glosso carpet) (used to be Eco-Complete but failed to carpet properly)
1g - ActivFlora (Glosso carpet) (used to be Eco-Complete but failed to carpet properly)
1/2g - ActivFlora (Dwarf hair grass experiment)

As you can see I've switched a couple tanks to ActivFlora after a few months of not being happy with the results from Eco-Complete. I've only been keeping planted tanks for a year and half but in that time have learned exponentially what works good for what. I doubt I'll ever convert my 29 to ActivFlora as my big stem plants seem to do fine in there. I've also found bulbs grow much better in Eco-Complete than ActivFlora I think for the simple fact that it's not as compact and allows for more water surface throughout. If I were to say do a 40 breeder or something of the sort planted I would most likely use ActivFlora. Really depends on what your trying to do. generally speaking the smaller and more consistent the substrate the easier it is to plant and keep plants rooted. I also really enjoy the aesthetics of ActivFlora over Eco-Complete. At $25 for 16 lb. bag of ActivFlora vs $35 for 20 lb. bag of Eco-Complete I can't see using Eco-Complete in the future much as they're alsmot the same cost and ActivFlora seems to grow plants better... for me at least. Hope that helps.

12G Rimless Club

Last edited by NanoDave; 01-30-2014 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #70
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, do you really have 14 tanks?!?

I'd be surprised if ActivFlora ever gets lighter. I think it's inherently black, not died. Like volcanic rock. (the non-reddish brown variety, that is)
Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #71
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

kman: Yea 14 to me is just the start I feel. I'm "submerged" in the desire to have tanks . My next endeavor will be to make a rack system most likely comprised of 7 10g's and 2 20L's for breading some Marmorkrebs and mollies I have. I have a vast amount of free time at home as I can work from home to do the majority of what I feel needs to be done. Not to mention I usually end up writing emails and making calls for a few hours then take a break and fiddle with tanks for an hour or so then back to work. I love what I do I often will be up late at 2am making excel sheets and going over documents. In all that time I spend a few hours a day researching, go on forums, and mess with my tanks to break it up. Honestly I get bored only having 14 tanks most the time and always dream of having more to rescape, look at, bread things in, etc. haha. It definitely doesn't help (financially) that my job takes me through the entire state of RI to cover surgery's at hospitals and theirs a decent amount down time so I swing into pet stores quite often.I always seem to find the best deals on anything I buy so definitely helps. I used to play video games (in the winter) a few years back in my free time and feel filling that void with fishtanks and building projects is more productive and rewarding. At least thats how I sell it to my gf and she agrees and loves looking at all the tanks. haha

12G Rimless Club

Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #72
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL Nice! My wife would kill me if I took up that much space in our house with tanks, but that comes with the territory when you marry an interior designer... at least the place looks nice, but I have a short chain when it comes to adding things that don't work with "the look" of the place.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #73
prighello
Shrimp Bane

Borrowing from speaker design you're also got to consider WAF (wife approval factor) of a given tank. For my wife at least, the setup's got to look good e.g. minimum number of wires, hoses, etc and well groomed pleasant scape.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #74
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very true prighello. My gf loves the tanks because they're always supper clean and scaped well. Plus I always let here pick out a fish or two to go in a few of the tanks :-P. kman you should google feng shui pics with tanks in them then just leave the browsers open. "IDK how that got there!?"

12G Rimless Club

Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #75
prighello
Shrimp Bane

Just had to throw this in because its funny and over the top:

http://www.extravaganzi.com/sleep-wi...-manufacuring/

I think it'd take a special significant other to accept it

Tags