Substrate Holy Grail?!?! - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #226
bsantucci
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

My order with dreamaquatic.com I had the bank do a reverse payment on since the place is clear fraud. Interestingly enough the day I did that I receive two shipment notifications. One never ended up showing up with UPS, but the other did. The strange thing is that I ordered 4 bags, so 64 pounds. This shipment shows 15 pounds and said 2 bags which doesn't add up math-wise at 16 pounds a bag, that's not even 1.

Today the package was delivered, so I'm extremely curious what they sent me haha. I'm guessing 15 pounds of sh*t due to me reporting them. haha.

**Update**

So I received the mystery package which was actually 2 bags of Activ-Flora!! They did not put in the right weight on the UPS tag. My order was for 4 bags with $11 in shipping, they charged me for 2 bags with $40 in shipping which is insane. I have an open dispute with my bank and open dialog now with the vendor as a result (if you can call broken english and brief emails open). I hope to get them to ship me the final two bags.

So this place does have stock, but I wouldn't advise ordering from them. If you want to gamble though then go for it.

Last edited by bsantucci; 04-25-2014 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: update
bsantucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #227
drondy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Has anyone done the Miracle Grow base with the AF cap? Would there be any issues with this?
drondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #228
FishStix
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do you guys think 17 bags is enough for 180 72x24x24, I am assuming it more than enough, but thought I would ask.
FishStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #229
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just thought I'd give you guys a little update and let you know the substrate it still holding very strong after 2+years. I've only root tabbed twice in the time I've been using and have never gravel vac'd it, rarely water change it, and it is my most stable tank by far, which I find odd but awesome. This tank has evolved a lot and has become my main show tank and I owe a lot of it to ActivFlora I feel. I know it's been hard to get but if you can get it or hold out I personally feel it's worth the wait.

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #230
FishStix
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
Just thought I'd give you guys a little update and let you know the substrate it still holding very strong after 2+years. I've only root tabbed twice in the time I've been using and have never gravel vac'd it, rarely water change it, and it is my most stable tank by far, which I find odd but awesome. This tank has evolved a lot and has become my main show tank and I owe a lot of it to ActivFlora I feel. I know it's been hard to get but if you can get it or hold out I personally feel it's worth the wait.
Wow, your tank looks great. My order finally shipped 16 bags . Plus the sample bag I bought a few months ago to make sure I liked ActivFlora. Cannot wait to get it. Now if my stand, sump and lights would be ready

Do you think 16 bags is enough for 180 gallon 72x24x24?

Thanks
FishStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #231
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
Wow, your tank looks great. My order finally shipped 16 bags . Plus the sample bag I bought a few months ago to make sure I liked ActivFlora. Cannot wait to get it. Now if my stand, sump and lights would be ready

Do you think 16 bags is enough for 180 gallon 72x24x24?

Thanks
That sounds about right and should be enough. I just did a 72L x 16W tank with 200lbs so 360lbs should be enough to cover that with slopes I would imagine.

12G Rimless Club

Old 04-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #232
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Reminder: vendor reviews aren't permitted.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:03 AM   #233
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Reminder: vendor reviews aren't permitted.
Why aren't vendor reviews permited? How can we spread our experiences and pass on what we find works/doesn't to better the hobby without doing reviews?

12G Rimless Club

Old 04-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #234
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Why aren't vendor reviews permited? How can we spread our experiences and pass on what we find works/doesn't to better the hobby without doing reviews?
You can review individual items but not vendors themselves. Legal reasons. If you're interested, there's plenty to be found about the topic using the search feature.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:06 AM   #235
Shremph
Algae Grower

Multiple reasons. The one that matters most is the fact this site is owned for profit and the benefactors wish it.
Shremph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #236
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
You can review individual items but not vendors themselves. Legal reasons. If you're interested, there's plenty to be found about the topic using the search feature.
Oh ok so saying Substrate XYZ is a great product and I would buy again is ok; but saying Vendor XYZ has delayed shipping and bad customer service isn't?

Just making sure that I'm following forum etiquette.

12G Rimless Club

Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #237
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Oh ok so saying Substrate XYZ is a great product and I would buy again is ok; but saying Vendor XYZ has delayed shipping and bad customer service isn't?

Just making sure that I'm following forum etiquette.
Correct. When in doubt, PMing a mod to check is a good idea. It's also a good idea to keep your product reviews to pros/cons/meaningful feedback instead of bashing (not accusing you of this, just mentioning it as I've seen product x is crap many a time).
Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 AM   #238
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Correct. When in doubt, PMing a mod to check is a good idea. It's also a good idea to keep your product reviews to pros/cons/meaningful feedback instead of bashing (not accusing you of this, just mentioning it as I've seen product x is crap many a time).
Good to know, thanks!

12G Rimless Club

Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #239
bsantucci
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Good to know as well. I assume all the mod comments were directed at my mentioning of my purchase experience. I wasn't aware this wasn't ok, was just trying to keep others from having my problem. I'll refrain in the future.
bsantucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #240
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

You can absolutely review products. And should. Just as long as you're fair and try to be as objective as possible.

Also fair to say you hate X product. But most people reading, myself included, would prefer to know why you hate it.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activflora, eco-complete