Aquaridise in East Brunswick
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
mattjm20
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquaridise in East Brunswick

Hello all,
I wanted to report on a new LFS that I found in East Brunswick, called Aquaridise. The owner was nice and very knowledgeable and I'd like to support them.

First, I must say that it only has a small selection of plants, so don't make the trek there just for that. Having said that, there was a pretty nice selection of fish, including some very cool oddballs like Datnoids, vampire tetras, stingrays, piranhas, some sort of hybrid tiger shovelnose/redtail, various pike cichlids, and even peacock bass (those are just examples). There were also nice gobys, rainbows, a huge collection of Africans, and some great german bred angelfish. There were also saltwater fish, though certainly less of those than freshwater.

I'd recommend anyone in the area give it a shot. It's on route 18 south. Last note, the owner also does commercial aquarium maintenance if anyone is in the market for that.

Here's the link!
http://www.aquaridise.com/

Enjoy,
Matt
mattjm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #2
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Nice, thanks for the heads up. I'll stop by next time I head over for the Rutgers game (either basketball or football in september).
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
elwray
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I actually live quite close to this store. I went there when they first opened and it looked like they had some potential! Do you recall if they stock any freshwater dwarf shrimp?
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
mattjm20
Planted Member

I believe they had some inverts but I don't remember which ones. I would just call and ask its a small business with just a few employees and I'm sure they could quickly answer.

Glad people are interested!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:24 AM   #5
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I stop here occasionally. I've always thought their tanks were clean and well kept....I've only purchased live blackworms from here and the price was competitive with others...That's tough to gauge as I hadn't found many places to carry live blackworms.
As Matt mentioned, not a lot of plants but fish looked healthy...
midlife_hobbyist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/97%)

A the owner isn't gonna stock dwarf shrimp for the most part. He doesn't see potential in them. Nor does he want to take the tie to understand. I talked to him about it before. He just doesn't see why people would want to buy such tiny things vs big fish. I saw him stock red cherries but I don't think he understands that he must stock them alone. Saw them torn up into pieces when he mixed them with fish. Don't count on seeing crystal red shrimp because our water is 7 ph, and 200+ TDS. He has access RO but I doubt he'll use it when he's gonna sell by the gallon rather than use it on his tanks
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

i purchased fish from here recently bought a trio of rainbow herbert axelrodi. The owner used to be part owner of pets pets pets on easton ave. He is a nice guy in the past i bought some nice driftwood off of him. He will also try to get fish if you talk to him but as previous poster mentioned he doesnt get the shrimp thing and has no intentions to keep any. He does keep some plants and i spoke to him about the potential there as well but i think he is comfortable with what he knows. Still a nice guy and quality stock.
gmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
jay973
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Made it here and back at lunch mostly freshwater I'm guessing they'll be restocking their coral tanks since they appeared empty. They did have Mexican dwarf crayfish and a couple of other types one was called the Destructor or something. Got my fill of blackworms so I should be good for a couple of weeks.
jay973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
LuckyCharm
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

I would recommend the buffet there!
I been there a few times, but the fish seem a bit over priced.
I go there for black warms
LuckyCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
mattjm20
Planted Member

On the topic of being overpriced... I've been to a decent amount of what i consider to be *good* LFS in NJ including Aquaridise, Absolutely Fish (Clifton), Rt 4 Aquarium (Fair Lawn), Ely's (Florham Park), Shark Aquarium (Union) and they are all over priced. Reason is because profit margins are terrible in this business and they're not chains like Petco so they don't benefit from economies of scale. I feel terrible but it's hard for me to justify buying my equipment in the stores when it is so much cheaper online... That's why when I pay way more than I should for some great fish I just deal with it. I want them to be in business so I'm not reliant on Petco/PetSmart, and that's just how it is. I completely sympathize with them.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I buy all my equipment online but stick with fish from these guys for the most part. Some things are much cheaper at petco/petsmart when it comes to fish but these guys have certain fish that petco simply doesn't have. You can either suck it up and pay the $$ or keep buying common pleco's and tetras :/
I Spent 140$ or so the other day there on fish between my girlfriend and i and they threw in a free pleco, about 15-20 feeders and a little thing of krill for free. And that was the first purchase i made there, so its not like im some long time customer. Im definitely not complaining because i was ready to pay 7$ or whatever that pleco cost and he said not to worry about it. Good guys and i love supporting local businesses.

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
mattjm20
Planted Member

I agree that the owner seemed like a good guy- knowledgeable and helpful. Just not much in the way of plants but I order most of those anyway (out of necessity)
Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
roogz41
Algae Grower

I live about 5 minutes from this LFS, maybe 2 minutes if I don't get stuck at any traffic lights... I really like the store and I agree with what everyone else has said about the store/owner but I just thought I'd share my experiences:

I've picked up a pair of Festae from there for a friend as well as a Blue Acara and a Firemouth for my own tank and all 4 had internal parasites. The Acara died the night I got it, the Firemouth struggled through a couple weeks of treatment before dying and the Festae are still recovering (the female seems far better than the male, who we think is most likely going to die ). That being said, the owner traded me a wild caught Peruvian Green Severum (~$30 fish) for the dead Acara ($7 fish) and he's recommended meds for the Festae.

I STILL GO TO THIS LFS AND WILL CONTINUE TO, I am in no way trying to bad mouth this LFS or dissuade people from going to this store...I'm actually planning on stopping by there later on tonight. I think that my initial experiences were a fluke (no pun intended) as I've never had any issues with any other fish I've picked up from there since.
roogz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:24 AM   #14
LuckyCharm
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

i was there last sunday and they had a sting ray (freshwater)! for 49.99!!
Very interesting lol
LuckyCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to add this to the LFS directory which covers NJ. The link is in my signature.