FYI S&S in Bham
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Alabama

Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
JustOneMore21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)

FYI S&S in Bham

I went to get my co2 tank filled today and was informed that S&S Carbonics in Bham was bought out by another company. A guy there told me that I'd have to leave my tank to get it filled and that they didn't fill them while you wait anymore. Bummer......now I have to find another place that will fill my personal tank. And during Thanksgiving week, of all times.

Anyone know if AirGas will fill personal tanks? There is one really close to me, but when I called, seems like they are closed (no phone menu choice to talk to someone, but i'm not surprised), so I'm not sure. I guess I'll try them again on Friday or Monday.

-Bummed in Bham....lol

My tank info page
JustOneMore21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Kristin, I know this is way old and you've long since found another option. But if anyone else gets in a bind (I was too, *sigh*) Vulcan Beverages on University also sells CO2. The price is a tad high, but you do have the convenience of them being open at somewhat more convenient hours. I ended up having to buy a new, filled 5# as unbeknownst to me my 10# had expired (grrrrrrr.) Well, now I have a back-up while I try to find somewhere to test and certify the 10#. If anyone knows of anyplace that would be good!

55 gallon - Hi-Res 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
JustOneMore21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, Cindy!

I'm assuming they fill your personal tank? Ohh, and do they make you wait a few days or fill on the spot? I don't mind paying a bit more as long as they fill my personal tank. If I had known that S&S would have stopped then I'd have bought a tank locally and did the trade in thing.

Sorry, I don't know of a place that tests and certifies. Hopefully you'll find a place soon though!

I ended up getting mine filled at AirGas last time. I had to be without co2 for like a week. They were going to charge me a ton (I think like $25-30 or maybe more) but I ended up getting it free (short story: they thought they filled my tank and told my dad it was ready, found out it wasn't filled and he had to wait awhile to pick it up, so they gave it to him free for waiting). I'm sure I won't get that lucky next time, so I'll probably check out Vulcan.

My tank info page
Old 04-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

I don't really know . I assume that they fill them there, in fact it must be since he checked my tank first for expiration. But you might want to call and make sure first. Since I discovered that mine had expired I bought the filled 5# from them and that was $125 . Like I said, high, but when you're between a rock and a hard place. . . . They quoted me a price over the 'phone of $45 to fill a 10# so I suppose a 5# would be approximately half that. The guy did mention (I believe it may have been the owner) that about 20% of their CO2 sales were for aquariums .

55 gallon - Hi-Res 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

$45 to fill a 10# tank
That is a crazy rip, I hope you spoke up on that.

If you are ever through Lake Guntersville we have a place
here called Mark Powers & associates, beverage suppliers
they sell the nice aluminum tanks 2.5#, 5# & 10# for $65
the 2.5 is cheaper but who wants one that small.

I get my tanks filled on the spot in Huntsville for $15 ea
for 10#.
They will also re-certify and pressure test expired tanks
when needed, but you will have to leave it for that.

Koorsen Fire and security.

I know you cats are in the HAM which is a good scoot
from huntspatch, an hour or so.

There has got to be a decent place in the HAM for youz
to get you're needs met.
Good luck.

Regards
Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

News of the semi-good variety. Hubby's workplace has just moved, so that now he's literally across the street from AirGas. Well, we scored a kegerator on Craigslist the other day which came with a <shudder> 5# steel CO2 tank which we of course had no qualms about trading in (Boy! Was that sucker heavy!) and AirGas gave us an aluminum tank in return. Mr. RoseHawke says the dock worker seemed none too pleased about getting a steel tank in return but apparently they don't have any rules against it so they took it. It was about $20 for the trade.

Craig, for being one of the larger metro areas in the state, it's h ee double hockey sticks trying to actually find anything around here. We considered going by the places you mentioned making a dogleg on one of our visits to my sister's in Chattanooga, but since AirGas is now so convenient it makes up any dollar difference that might be gained.

Apologies if there's any typos in this, I don't have my reading glasses on .

Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
JustOneMore21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's awesome Cindy!

You know, I may just have to bite the bullet and trade my tank in at Airgas. It would definitely be quick (no waiting on them to fill it for a week) and I wouldn't have to pay crazy prices to fill it. I'm going to call Vulcan and get a price first, but I may just have to trade my nice, clean tank in.

My tank info page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.