childofiam tank journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
childofiam@att.net
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

childofiam tank journal

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...=_MG_3788b.jpg

Organic dirt layered with course sand and small pebbles on top.
Filter; AquaClear 20 with floss canister, 200 w heater and a Green Killing machine.
This tank was established in December 2014 with a canister filter and injected CO2. I have converted it to a low-tech tank to follow Diana Walstad's method.

My goal with this project is to establish a balanced ecosystem as Diana Walstad advises in her book, "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium"
I use 100% RO water remineralized with Seachem's Equilibrium.

I removed the canister filter 1 week ago and today is the first day without added CO2. I have changed the lighting from a high tech 10,000 K full spectrum LED light to a CFL spot light at 7000K and a 2700K LED, total WPG is 2
I have kept a journal for the last two months on PH, Ammonia, NO2, NO3, KH GH
These readings have been stable
Temp 79 deg
PH 7.0
Amm 0
NO2 0
NO3 20
KH 6
GH 7
My lighting is on a timer of 12 hr a day. pins are set for "lights out" 10 -15 minutes through out the 12 hrs to naturally raise the CO2
CO2 is at 22 ppm at 2:24 pm without added CO2

My plants are heavy root feeders

I started to have a algae problem after I removed the canister filter . I have read from Walstad's book, that a iron level of .10 or higher can cause this so I have stopped adding flourish Iron for now to see if this is the problem.
I add 3 grams Flourish trace minerals twice a week and 15 grams of leaf zone once a week.

I will get better pictures after dark so you can see foreground better.

Richard

Last edited by childofiam@att.net; 03-02-2015 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Replaced picture
childofiam@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

You might move the light hood back from the glass so that heat can escape. 3/4"-1"
Does direct light from the sun hit this tank ?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #3
childofiam@att.net
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
You might move the light hood back from the glass so that heat can escape. 3/4"-1"
Does direct light from the sun hit this tank ?
The tank does not receive any direct sunlight. The light hood is vented and has not increased the tank temp. The purpose of this light placement is for the Lilly benefit and will be moved after the lily gets hight from the low light corner.
Also this light is an LED and gives only a little warmth. I have noticed a little bit of algae growth in this corner develop in the week it has been there. The lily has responded to this light after a single day, so this is why I have left it there.

Looking forward to more of your observations... Thanks

Bump:
Old 03-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #4
childofiam@att.net
Algae Grower

Default PM readings

At 9 pm the lights have been out for an hour. I tested the PH and the KH to get a reading for CO2 level. According to the chart I use from http://www.aquariumslife.com/wp-cont...4/co2chart.jpg I have a CO2 level of 14
PH is 7.4
KH is 7
I will test again at 8 am when the lights are scheduled to come on. After 12 hours of night my hope is that the CO2 will rise to at least 20
Old 03-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
childofiam@att.net
Algae Grower

Default 3-3-15

8 am tested
PH 7.2
KH 6
This is a CO2 level of 12 which means that there is not enough CO2 in the tank. I have turned on the bubbler through the AquaClear 20 in the tank. Will turn off at 9am and test again.

Note: PH was stable at 7.0 for the last 5 weeks. I know that CO2 effects PH so I'm looking for the PH to balance out in the next couple of days. If not then this indicates there is an unbalance in the ecosystem.

I have looked up the CO2 chart in one of the threads and have found that my CO2 chart was printed with errors.

Last edited by childofiam@att.net; 03-03-2015 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: correcting an error in typing
Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
childofiam@att.net
Algae Grower

Default update

I did a water change and now have new readings.
GH 6
KH 5
PH 7.3
I am way too low on CO2 for the plants so I am hooking up my CO2 tank
Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have no exp/w CO2 so I will leave that part alone for others to help/w.
Is that an Amazon ? They do get huge.
With that much glass aria you are likely not interested in GSA as it will end up on the glass also. But I'm a fan of it and try to cultivate it and some of it seems to be getting a foot hold on your sub. But I think that looks much more natural than bare rocks.
A lily would really add to that tank I think.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
childofiam@att.net
Algae Grower

Thanks Raymond... Yes it is an Amazon. I want to fill that whole corner with it and the Water Wisteria to fill in the rest of the back.

I gave up on the natural CO2 and hooked up my pressurized CO2. Have developed a CO2 injection system that is so efficient I only need to push 1 b per 3 sec and I run 35 ppm in the tank.

Im still in the testing stage but will share how to build the injection system in the near future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.