|02-19-2004, 06:29 PM||#1|
I have a heavily planted 55 gallon tank (Val, crypts, rotallia, several small swords) with dozen cardinal tetras, 5 rummynose tetras, 5 emperor tetras, two pearl gouramis, 6 Corydoras sterbai and five juv angelfish. My tank is lit with two 110 watt (VHO/Icecap) bulbs.
The tank has been running in this configuration for about a year and a half. I've had extremely good growth w/o CO2 (I need to pull vals every other week, crypts are multiplying, though the Rotallia isn't as bushy as I'd like).
I have a CO2 Reactor I purchased on Aquabid that is a PVC drum (6 inch diameter) with an airline valve on the top. It's about 10 inches high, and I fill it with 2 cups of sugar and another 5-6 cups water.
I have had this hooked up to a small powerhead in the past, but haven't used it for about 6 months.
1) How will adding a Power Reactor (from Plantguild) help? Is it incrementaly better than the small powerhead?
2) Someone suggested that I have 2 yeast reactors feeding the tank, mostly so I don't have to worry about production drop off (staggard maintenance/refill schedules). Is one PVC reactor enough, or should I think about adding another?
3) If I add a second yeast reactor, can I hook it up to the same power reactor/defussior?
4) Do I need to worry about CO2 production at night? It is too impractical to shut off CO2 manually every night.
5) Any other suggestions for get the most out of a DYI setup for my 55? (other equipment or configuration)
|02-19-2004, 07:54 PM||#2|
What are your water params in your tank?
KH, pH ...
Do you add any buffers.
Let's start there before adding more reactors to your tank. You probably will need to. Your vals and microsum pteropus don't really need a lot of light and therefore, aren't as demanding of co2. However, this does not mean that they won't benefit from it. That's also why your rotala isn't flourishing in your tank. It needs a little more light then your giving it. However, before going off and buying more lights, start by figuring out what your water params are. Then you'll be able to measure co2 and can move on from there.
What kind of rotala is it? What color?
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Reef Tank Conversion - Concerns and Questions||Silent Running||General Planted Tank Discussion||18||10-04-2004 02:14 PM|
|CO2 setup correctly?||FiberCon||Equipment||6||07-03-2004 02:33 AM|
|questions on new setup||chinomano147||General Planted Tank Discussion||2||03-29-2004 06:05 AM|
|YAENPTS Question(s) - Yet Another Newbie Planted Tank Setup||edsel||General Planted Tank Discussion||3||08-14-2003 06:52 PM|
|Starting a new tank...Questions||Moebius||Equipment||24||04-16-2003 11:08 PM|