A Twist on Mr. Aqua 12 Long - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #16
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Thanks for the feedback. I finished staining the stand tonight. I'm planning on plumbing it tomorrow night and adding water. If all works out I'll try and add fish on Tuesday as the filter media in the sump is already cycled thanks to fishless cycling.

Any recommendations on shrimp-friendly fish? I was thinking like 20x neons, 3x corries, and 1-2x ottos. I know they'll eat fry and eggs but I'm planning on trying to do some selective mating and hatching in a breeder. I'd definitely appreciate feedback as I'm a complete noob on shrimp.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:03 AM   #17
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

I have neons, panda corys, and CPDs. I love them all. The cory's live at the bottom, the neons a little above them, and the CPDs a little above them. I don't have any otto's, but I think they'd fit in well.

One things I'd suggest is to swap out a few neons for corys. They like to be in bigger numbers, and I'd recommend at least 6. Neons seem to be the same, preferring at least 6 total. I had a few corys die and their behavior changes when they get below those numbers. They hide more and play less, and are clearly less happy. Especially if they are that out numbered. You will enjoy them more (and they will be happier) if you have a few more of them. I can't speak to the ottos since I don't have them.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 AM   #18
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
I have neons, panda corys, and CPDs. I love them all. The cory's live at the bottom, the neons a little above them, and the CPDs a little above them. I don't have any otto's, but I think they'd fit in well.

One things I'd suggest is to swap out a few neons for corys. They like to be in bigger numbers, and I'd recommend at least 6. Neons seem to be the same, preferring at least 6 total. I had a few corys die and their behavior changes when they get below those numbers. They hide more and play less, and are clearly less happy. Especially if they are that out numbered. You will enjoy them more (and they will be happier) if you have a few more of them. I can't speak to the ottos since I don't have them.
Do you have any shrimp with them? Any issues? Do any fry make it?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 AM   #19
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Otto's will actually school and hang out together if kept in groups. Though I don't think it's necessary I feel it could help to do more. I would personally do 6 or so corys like Another Hobby suggested. 5 or so ottos and 15 or so neons/cardinal tetra w/e you prefer. You won't really need more than 15 tetras in the 12 long as it's only 9" height and with substrate makes it like 6-7" so 15 cardinals will look great and not be too crowded. As for ottos, personally they are the best clean up crew and you'll be thanking them with higher numbers as your tank will look a lot nicer with that much less algae.

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #20
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have RCS in my 12 long and the I haven't seen the cardinals eat any yet but then again I've only had the shrimp for a few weeks and the first batch just dropped. I do have a very thick carpet of glosso and I can see newborns hiding under the carpet on the edges of the tank so I think that helps a lot. I would imagine some will def get eaten though. I have around 30 RCS and a half dozen are berried so I don't doubt I'll have hundreds in a few months.

12G Rimless Club

Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
Otto's will actually school and hang out together if kept in groups. Though I don't think it's necessary I feel it could help to do more. I would personally do 6 or so corys like Another Hobby suggested. 5 or so ottos and 15 or so neons/cardinal tetra w/e you prefer. You won't really need more than 15 tetras in the 12 long as it's only 9" height and with substrate makes it like 6-7" so 15 cardinals will look great and not be too crowded. As for ottos, personally they are the best clean up crew and you'll be thanking them with higher numbers as your tank will look a lot nicer with that much less algae.
I didn't know that ottos will schoool. I have 11 ottos in my 190 and I've never seen them school. I know different fish act differently. I usually go with neons over cardinals just for the price. I can get neons for $1 any day but cardinals are hard to find and if you do find them they are $5 each. I definitely like cardinals better but can't justify the money for the minor differences.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmustang1 View Post
Do you have any shrimp with them? Any issues? Do any fry make it?
I keep RCS and Amanos in there. I've never seen any of my fish even nip at a shrimp, but if a fry will fit in a fish's mouth, and it's swimming out in the open, consider it a snack. I'm can guarantee some fry have been eaten.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #23
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

$5 a cardinal! A LFS by me has them at $2.5 and neons at $1.5. If you buy 8 you get 2 free so I never blink an eye at getting cardinals. Sorry to hear there so expensive by you. As for ottos schooling it really depends on the tank. I've noticed in my very heavily planted tanks they often will group on one plant or in a diamond shape formation on the glass sometimes. They don't school in one of my larger tanks thats not planted as much so maybe that has something to do with it. I would think it would be the other way around and they would school with less cover, who knows.

12G Rimless Club

Old 01-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
$5 a cardinal! A LFS by me has them at $2.5 and neons at $1.5. If you buy 8 you get 2 free so I never blink an eye at getting cardinals. Sorry to hear there so expensive by you. As for ottos schooling it really depends on the tank. I've noticed in my very heavily planted tanks they often will group on one plant or in a diamond shape formation on the glass sometimes. They don't school in one of my larger tanks thats not planted as much so maybe that has something to do with it. I would think it would be the other way around and they would school with less cover, who knows.
Yea, some fish prices are way out of wack lately. I've been searching for a large school of panda corries but everyone wants $12 and up. I used to get them for $2.99. I found one for $5 and jumped on it but now I feel bad because he's all by himself. There are ~15 other corries in the tank but no other pandas. He schools a little with the melini corries but is by himself more often than the other corries.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #25
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

I have 7 oto and they school in my 18g. They love to hang out as a group on the hard scape. I usually keep count this way.

3 dwarf cories as well they swim as a school very enjoyable to watch.

When will this tank be up? Can't wait to see the complete set up
Down_Shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #26
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, tank is up and running. It's cycled and ready to go.

Some pics:

Tank and stand. Hardscape hasn't been decided yet. Plants are in bad shape and need some TLC. The back is a coast-to-coast external, micro overflow made using a black piece of acrylic. You can also see a return on each end.

Filtration and CO2:

External overflow:

All plumbing in the back:
Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #27
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

looks good, not sure i would leave the stand pipes so high up, very little room for water fluctuation if the drain gets slightly blocked.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #28
gnauhandy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey can you post a picture of the water intake into the overflow box? Great set up btw. Does the cholla wood promote shrimp breeding and how are you getting them to sink?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gnauhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 AM   #29
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnauhandy View Post
Hey can you post a picture of the water intake into the overflow box? Great set up btw. Does the cholla wood promote shrimp breeding and how are you getting them to sink?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The water overflows the black acrylic which is 1/8" shorter than the tank. It then enters the overflow box via 2 holes in the back of the tank. I used the 30mm drill bit that I used for the returns and the drains.

You can see the holes in the pic here:

If I had to do it over I would put the holes lower. I drilled higher up because the clamps I used to hold the template in place for the drill wouldn't go any lower. With the holes being that high up it will gurgle a bit if the water level in the overflow isn't towards the top.

I just put the cholla wood in the tank. Two pieces sank after one day. Two more sank after another day. One more is still floating. If it doesn't sink by tomorrow I'll weigh it down with a rock. I'm told shrimp like to eat it and fry like to hide inside. There is no fauna in the tank yet. I'm hoping to add some tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #30
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

very nice. I always wanted to something like this with my 12g. I even bought a 20H and glass to make baffles but in the end didn't. spent the effort on a bigger tank with bigger sump instead. Love to see other people as crazy as myself succeed
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote