A Slow Sinking Food Granule or Bit
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
blue_waters
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

A Slow Sinking Food Granule or Bit

Hi All,

I've been using TetraBits Complete for about a year now on a small tank (10G) with a few golden barbs and a couple of neon dwarf rainbows.

The stuff I bought a year ago is perfect - it floats for a minute or so and the fish will take it from the surface, or eventually sinks very slowly and the fish will eat it on the way down.

I bought a new tub of TetraBits Complete recently - and this stuff sinks very fast. The fish never see it. I was told that in fact - this is what TetraBits are 'supposed' to do - sink (it's designed for mid to bottom feeders).

I then tried some TetraMin Granules - and these are a bit better, but still sink much faster than my original tub of TetraBits Complete.

It appears that my first tub of TetraBits Complete was a bit unusual - in the way it floated, or sunk slowly.

The fish in this tank are really not interested in flakes (at least not yet). They've spent a year getting used to my strange floating TetraBits.

Anyway - unusual question I guess - but I was wondering what others' experience has been with mid to top feeders, and what food you might be able to recommend.

Have posted previously with an article on my new 20G planted, and so whatever I do here will apply there too I guess ;-) (although that tank will be stocked initially with Amano shrimp, Ottos, and eventually Rasbora and Danios).
blue_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
NYCaqua
Planted Member

I vary my food a great deal. Allows fish to not be depending on 1 food source and get "addicted" to that 1 source. I try to feed my fish food that is low in probability to break down rapidly so i don't get excess nutrients in the water. Here is my food list in case you are interested.

Elos spirulina plus pellets, Elos svB pellets, omega one super color flakes, Hikari mini algae wafers, hikari frozen brine shrimp, hikari frozen spirulina brine shrimp, and hikari frozen bloodworms.
NYCaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
blue_waters
Algae Grower

Thanks NYCaqua!
blue_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Ben!
Algae Grower

New Life Spectrum foods are always good. I use the small fish formula and it floats for a while before it sinks.
Ben! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Golden pearls are designed to float around in the water column more, giving the fish more time to eat them. They float initially, then start drifting around the tank.

Quote:
Golden Pearls Particle
A fantastic staple diet for marine and freshwater aquariums.

An Effective Brine Shrimp Replacement Diet

Golden Pearl is a revolutionary new larval diet that has successfully replaced live Artemia nauplii in marine fish hatcheries in Europe. A patented processing technique (agglomeration of micro-encapsulated particles) results in feed particles or "clusters" that resemble raspberries under the microscope. Golden Pearls have tiny air pockets that keep the feed particles in the water column, not on the bottom of the tank. Golden Pearls mimic live brine shrimp nauplii.
Available in Seven particle Sizes
(Note: The larger the micron number, the larger the particle size. A newly hatched brine shrimp is about 400 microns.)
Diatom Replacement: 5-50 microns
Diatom Replacement: 50-100 microns
SS Rotifer Replacement: 100-200 microns
LS Rotifer Replacement: 200-300 microns
Artemia Nauplii Replacement: 300-500 microns
Instar V Replacement: 500-800 microns
Baby Brine Replacement: 800-1,000 microns

Protein: 60%
Lipids: 18%
Ash: 15%
Moisture: 8%
Vitamin C: 1000 ppm
Vitamin E: 400 ppm
Astaxanthin: 500 ppm
Proximate Analysis
Ingredients
Fish protein, whey, yeast and yeast extracts, marine fish oil, phospholipids, astaxanthin, vitamin and mineral premixes, anti-oxidants.
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food