TruAqua 8.7 bow front build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #1
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

TruAqua 8.7 bow front build

I have just purchased the TruAqua 8.7 gallon bow front tank along with a bag of fluorite and a toms rapid mini canister filter. I currently have an aqueon evolve 8 that I am not really liking to much anymore and wanted to try something different from an AIO. I currently have an aqua traders 9w clamp on led that is on the evolve. Would it be enough light for the new tank? The current evolve is 12" long and the new tank is 17" long. The fixture is 10-11" long (Here is a link of the light: http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...1W-p/56211.htm). I will be doing pressurized co2 as soon as I can pick up my tank and regulator, but I want to make sure this light will be enough for low-med light plants (mainly a carpet of HC). I will have pictures of everything as soon as I get everything shipped to my house and the initial setup.
Matt.radich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

Tank arrived today. The packing was incredible and packed very securely. I also got my tom rapids mini canister filter and set those two up for a leak test. So far so good. Getting some HC next week from Jurassic pet (ron from catfish Charlie's works there now. It's in thorton, CO) and hopefully some driftwood tomorrow. Light is still to be decided while the plants are being ordered.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
erinbirdsong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought the 6.6 gal cube from them 2 months ago and I love it. They seem to have some great deals and very nice tanks.
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

$35 shipped is a crazy deal... I may have to buy another for my girlfriends betta... Can wait to get the thing planted though
Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
erinbirdsong
Algae Grower

Yeah I got mine for $ 22.99 shipped. Here is a pic of it today. I wishied I had know of Tru Aqua before I bought the 4 other tanks I have...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thai 01_2014.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	257689  

Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

Wow that's a great looking tank. What light is on it? Great looking betta too
Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #8
erinbirdsong
Algae Grower

Thanks, It had a light built in so whatever it came with is all it has.

My betta was an AquaBid Thailand import. He was expensive but he has a huge personality so I don't mind. I have this tank in my office so I love seeing him all day at work but miss him on the weekends.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

I got the first idea of a scape up. I prefer to have less rather than more. Good thing I have a week until plants come in.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
erinbirdsong
Algae Grower

I really like that piece of driftwood, Can't wait to see it evolve
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #11
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

That light is not going to be staying with me, I just used it for some light on the tank. I have ordered a current usa satellite freshwater+ led... I am so excited for it to get here! But for some opinions from you guys, does the tank need a smaller piece of driftwood? Or would a rock of some sort look alright? I need help as I am terrible at aquascaping...
Old 01-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #12
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

Default TruAqua 8.7 bow front build

Got my light today. I landed on the current satellite freshwater+, I bought it off another forum for $60, which seemed like a fair deal to me for being new. All I have to say is that this light is way to cool. I cannot wait to get the tank planted. I will hopefully be getting my HC tomorrow evening and will post an update tomorrow. I am planning on a dry start, but it probably won't last long before I get impatient.

Ipad cameras do not adjust enough to show light differences, but that is white all the way ramped up with some blue mix. Mainly white though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

Last night I got the tank planted and started my DSM. I hope I am able to wait at least two weeks before I want to put water in it. This will be the hardest part of my tank, but at least I will be able to think of more plants to put in once flooded. I'm in the dense about getting another current led, im thinking about it if I can get one at wholesale price.

I've got two full pots of HC in there in hope to make it carpet faster. We'll see though.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:50 AM   #14
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Nice choice with the Sat+. Hope your DSM goes well. It looks alot similar to the beginning of my DSM with my Mini-M.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

I'm about 10 days into the DSM and I am getting really impatient. In the meantime I got another satellite led. Not the plus but the regular for now because it was only $28 on amazon thanks to gift cards. It seems like the DSM is going well, the HC hasn't turned brown, and is more lush than before. I am trying to get ideas for more plants, I would like something taller in the back. Also I am struggling with what fish I should get. The filter will be kind of high flow because I am using a tom rapids mini canister filter which does 80gph.

I am also doing a paintball co2 system, but I am not sure what I should dose in addition to the co2?