Are my LED lights burning my plants or is it a deficiency?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are my LED lights burning my plants or is it a deficiency?

I have LED floodlights positioned over my tank and it looks like they may be too bright as the tops look brown and burned. I also think there may be a nutrient deficiency because there are tiny pinholes on many of the leaves. Some new leaves are skinny and shriveled. I dose Seachem Flourish every other day, and Excel everyday. Lights are on for 8-12 hours everyday. LED's are pictured. Do I need macro nutients? There's only 10 small fish in a 75 gallon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	255529  

Mrnbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

And here's the plants, I don't know why it didn't upload in the first post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	60
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	255537  

Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Another duplicate post to this one...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=519633

If you're running them 8-12 hours a day then that is why you're getting algae. Also how long has this tank being running and when do you plant the plants?

Please only post one thread and not duplicates. It makes it hard for people to help you when you have multiple posts scattered everywhere.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Another duplicate post to this one...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=519633

If you're running them 8-12 hours a day then that is why you're getting algae. Also how long has this tank being running and when do you plant the plants?

Please only post one thread and not duplicates. It makes it hard for people to help you when you have multiple posts scattered everywhere.
Sorry about the double posts. I'm using an iphone and a bit new to this forum thing. But I did feel that they were different questions that's why I posted them in different sections.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You definitely need to shorten your photo period as that is too long. Especially since you're not using CO2. That is where your algae problem is coming from is the long photo period.

Also how long have these plants been in? It is common to get some melting the first couple of weeks when you plant them then they will bounce back assuming these are newly planted.

Cut your lighting back to 6-8 hrs and do 25-50% water changes at least once a week.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

I bought the entire already planted tank about a month ago. While moving it downstairs all the substrate slid down and got all mixed up. So I had to do a complete rescape. They have been planted since then, so about 4 weeks. We left the some tank water on the bottom and in the filter so it should be fully cycled by now.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:32 AM   #7
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Even just the move and replanting them can cause them to have to re-aclimate from the time they have been out of the water and being in different water parameters than what they are in now can cause melting. It could be just normal melting from replanting to a nutrients deficiency or a combination of both. What kind of deficiency, that is out of my expertise so someone else may be able to give you more information about that.

One thing for sure, cut back on your photo cycle as it is way to much.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

I'm going to get a timer and set it for 8 hours. I'm sick of trying to remember to turn it off lol.

I still think that the light is burning my plants because it's only the tops of the plants directly under the lights that turned brownish black. I really wanted to get more information about the light, but I guess that might not happen. Should I just buy new lights (and spend more money lol) or try to make these work? Maybe I could hang them a little higher away from the plants. Hopefully there would still be enough PAR at that height to grow plants.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #9
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnbo View Post
I'm going to get a timer and set it for 8 hours. I'm sick of trying to remember to turn it off lol.

I still think that the light is burning my plants because it's only the tops of the plants directly under the lights that turned brownish black. I really wanted to get more information about the light, but I guess that might not happen. Should I just buy new lights (and spend more money lol) or try to make these work? Maybe I could hang them a little higher away from the plants. Hopefully there would still be enough PAR at that height to grow plants.
IMO I would start by shortening your light cycle first and see how that works for a few weeks and see if there is any improvement. The thing about this hobby is patience. If that doesn't work then try to hang them a little bit higher. It is kind of hard to tell without seeing the actual fixture itself. If you could post a picture of the fixture then that might be able to help others. Is there no part number or anything on the fixture anywhere that you could good to try to find out what kind of fixture it is? It is really hard to say if it is to much light, lack of macro nutrients combination of both. I mean if this fixture came with the tank and the previous owner was growing plants in it you might want to ask him if he ever had this problem. It is possible it is to much light but shortening the photo period should help some.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #10
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

Yea if the previous owner isn't lying, then he grew some nice, lush, green plants. I saw the pictures. There's no part or serial number anywhere except for the sticker in my first post. I'd have to assume that it's a cheap e-bay floodlight sold from China. Here is a full picture. Click image for larger version

Views:	35
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	255697

Here's a pic of the backClick image for larger version

Views:	31
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	255705

Having trouble trying to do this on mobile. It wouldn't let me post two pictures in my last post. I think I should just download the app lol.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-06-2014 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #11
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just saw a post recently in the lighting section that was talking about these exact same lights I thought but I can't find it now.

I think if I remember correctly they had to be hung so you might want to try that. Hang them then shorten your photo period and go from there.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #12
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

The pinholes are a deficiency, maybe potassium. The top growth looks like natural color change along with crumpled new growth, which is caused by a few things. It could just be acclimation as Texan stated, I personally just watched newly arrived rotala stems do this in my tank, and for a day or so the new growth was crumpling into a slimmer form, and changing color according to the new nutrient and light source. This all comes from what I can see in the photo but obviously can't see them in person so take it with a grain of salt.

Another reason for crumpling is calcium deficiency, if you're low on GH and not adding a booster, you may very well be deficient in Ca Mg and K.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Stone454
Planted Tank Obsessed

the kelvin/coloremp of the lights is 14000k which is not ideal for plants, and yeah lights on way too long
Stone454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #14
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
The pinholes are a deficiency, maybe potassium. The top growth looks like natural color change along with crumpled new growth, which is caused by a few things. It could just be acclimation as Texan stated, I personally just watched newly arrived rotala stems do this in my tank, and for a day or so the new growth was crumpling into a slimmer form, and changing color according to the new nutrient and light source. This all comes from what I can see in the photo but obviously can't see them in person so take it with a grain of salt.

Another reason for crumpling is calcium deficiency, if you're low on GH and not adding a booster, you may very well be deficient in Ca Mg and K.
Well I don't have the slightest clue so your guess is better than mine lol.

At the moment I have the lights resting on the glass top. Would the glass top interfere with the light penetrating the tank if they are hung above it?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Are you sure you even have a problem? I think you might simply just need to do some research into ferts and start adding a little more. Could it be you have some snails?
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
burning, deficiency, floodlights, led, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.