The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 60P Fun (2007)

41K views 187 replies 47 participants last post by  styxx 
#1 · (Edited)
So here are a few introductory shots of my new ADA tank. It isn't fully planted yet, since the water is just becoming clear. Any suggestions are appreciated and please excuse the tubing in the tank. I have some glass lily pipes on order...I had HC but it all died, well apparently not all of it since I have a few strands thriving here and there...apart from that one change, what other planting suggestions do you have? I was thinking about some blyxa in front of the rotala sp. green and rotala indica...any ideas?? I have to admit this is the first time using Aquasoil but it is awesome. I can literally grow anything in it...and look at the growth that I have with the giant hair grass! Before I had this plant in another tank and after about 3 weeks it just turned brown and died!

#2 · (Edited)
Here are a few more

I think you might like these as well...its always so exciting to see the beginning of a tank take shape and then months later look back and see the progress one has made...please forgive my photography, my skills aren't that good so please bear with me...hopefully in the near future I will get a decent digital camera (this one is only 5MP)!

#5 ·
I would try to get that piece of wood out of the direct center of the tank. The rule of thirds will help you here. The wood is quite stout and demands the eye:) It took me two or three views to see anything but the wood. Try moving it to the left or right and place it at the 2/3rds mark.

Also, it looks like your anubias rhizomes are burried? You will have to get them out of the substrate or they may rot. Try attaching them to small pebbles, that will keep them in place whiles still above the substrate.

Hope this helps:)

jB

#6 · (Edited)
uh huh

Jason,
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking of moving it towards the left. The anubias actually are tied to the bottom of the driftwood that has a hollow center in it but at this point the roots actually are growing through the hole and are now into the substrate...any ideas about how to hide this CO2 diffusor? Do you think the rotalia will eventually hid it? Check out the algae pearling...

#7 ·
Looks like you could have gone with a smaller diffuser for that tank. I really wouldnt try to hide it. Its important to allow the flow of the filters to grab the bubbles and move them around the tank. If the rotala is hiding the diffuser from us, it is surely hiding it from the flow as well;)

I see what you are saying with the anubias. I wasnt sure, so i just thought i would throw out the tip.....but it looks like you already knew:proud:

Hope move the wood creates a nice perspective for you:)

jB

#8 · (Edited)
A quandry

I had thought about buying the smaller size diffusor but I wanted to be able to upgrade at a later date. So far I have removed the tubing and I'm currently using the Ehiem in/outflow devices while waiting on my glass lilly tubes. I've moved the rotala completely so that it is all together and it grows great...with each trim I'm replanting and now I've got a serious bush growing on one side and the hairgrass is exceeding all my expectations. I thought I might have to buy another two pots but give the growth of this plant, I think in a month the entire back wall of my tank will be covered by it. I'm thinking of totally removing the driftwood or getting a smaller piece, possibly replacing with some ADA rock. Mabye some Riccia as well...today I bought 10 Ottocinclus and 10 rasboras. I'm thinking of getting a few black neons too but I'm not sure...anyway, the plants are growing really well although I'm having some brown diatom algea issues, but nothing else is out of control. What experience have you had with anubias? Mine are shaded but they seem to be suffering from chlorosis and developing yellowing at the edges of the leaves. I suspect it is an iron deficiency given my parameters:

Ammonia 0ppm
KH 120ppm
GH 300ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Nitrites 20ppm
Ph 6.2

I EI dose N once weekly, P x2 weekly and K x2 weekly with x2 Excel and once micros (Flourish). Any ideas? All the other stem plants are growing ridiculously and I'm having some slight algae on them but not like on the anubias...any suggestions? Everything else is healthy and my HC has finally started to spread out! YEAH!!

#9 ·
A quick update

So here are a few updated pics...as you can see I have gotten rid of my plastic tubing only to use the Eheim intake and out-take tubing...unfortunately my custom glass lily pipes are still being manufactured. I hope to have them by the 1st! Of course with the removal of the driftwood I now am going to add some stone and plant the anubias nana petite and a. coffefolia around it...my experience with HC didn't go well since my past post and became infected with hair algae so I will soon start with glosso...

You'll note that despite my best efforts the anubias nana doesn't seem to want to turn any deeper shade of green, despite my cautious dosing of Fe. Nevertheless, it still it producing many smaller baby leaves on the rhizome...go figure...and here you see my success with the hairgrass that is spreading out roots across the tank and grows well above the height of the rim...I've also started to trim my rotalia sp. when it reaches the surface of the tank and replant it (it seems to turn red whenever it reaches this height due to light intensity)

Dane, I bet you are shocked at the forest of Rotalia sp. that I have growing here, in no small part to your help, thanks! It really has taken off and I'm quite proud of it! I think that if I had some more light intensity, much more of it would be red than what I can currently achieve with my present level of lighting...

If you have any suggestions or comments, please don't hesitate...I'm looking forward to starting my glosso soon!

#10 ·
when i first gazed at the rotala, i thought to myself, "wow, that rotala is mighty thick. i wish mine would keep large leaves like that." then i scroll down and read, "Dane, I bet you are shocked at the forest of Rotalia sp..." HAHA! it's sad when people can read your mind. the tank looks great mike. i have more rotala if you want it.

#13 ·
Will you be keeping the AS slope or smoothing it out? I'm not feeling the rolling hill thing. Will there be any hardscape? I know you are putting in glosso but will there be any other plants?

BTW, that Eleocharis is going to be sweet when it grows in.

#14 ·
I know that Eleocharis is a PITA, because sometimes it grows like crazy and then sometimes it wants to die off:mad: , believe it or not I think it actually would do better with higher light but I've already got 130W over this 20G, I mean really! I think I'm going to keep the rolling hill look. I think it might grow on you after I have the glosso covering it. I am going to get rid of the anubias that I have (except the a.coffefolia and the a. nana petites) and replant them around some "Menton stone" that Amano likes to use...

#16 ·
Well Mr. Belvedere I have planted some ****ty looking gloss right now and I have to tell you it is growing up and I'm pissed about it but we'll see what happens. I think the Eleocharis is dying of because it seems to want to grow new leaves but the old leaves tend to wither. Weird I know...but I was thinking the same thing as you were, maybe it is just adjusting but I wonder how much of a factor would water hardness contribute to this issue? Our water in Tampa is like liquid rock...my testing shows something ridiculous like 300ppm (which is as high as the this test goes) so I was thinking of trying a new ADA resin which softens the water. Any suggestions?

#17 ·
So here are few more pics of my tank. As you can see I'm having some serious problems with it growing up too high. Not to mention the thread algae that seems to be starting to get a hold. I'm powerfully tempted to just trim and wait it out. If anyone has any suggestions about getting it to grow lower, let me know! I can't believe that 5wpg isn't enough light, but apparently it isn't. My ottos certainly seem to love how this tank is progressing and keep it pretty much spotless...

next week I'm going to add some more hairgrass to the back and a few rocks to the left by the Rotala (yes, I know it needs a trim) If I can't get this glosso together I'm going back to HC (even though it takes forever to grow). I'm also adding a few cherry and Amano shrimp to try and tackle this thread algae I've been fighting...at least it looks nice from the top!

#20 ·
So here are a few recent pics in the post Glosso massacre. I have replanted with HC and it has really taken off. I love Aquasoil. I hardly have to dose anything at all. As you can see in the middle there is a depression. I had removed the driftwood and I'm waiting on my stone to take up that position for a hardscape. I also have some Riccia and large A. Coffefolia on the way with some more Giant Hairgrass to fill in the right hand back side of the tank. I also recently got in my glass lily tubes and I love them!

Well I hope that you liked these pics. As you can see it really has taken off and its been planted only for about two weeks. There are some spots that have to fill in but it seems like every day it gets greener and more lush! It does love Excel and CO2 that is for sure! Please excuse my poor photography skills, believe me I'm still working on it. This is an old camera but when I get a new one I'll be sure to post much better pics! As always, any comments, questions or suggestions that anyone might have is appreciated!

#21 ·
it looks great mike! i'm currently re-doing my aquascape as we speak. i have plants coming in tomorrow along with some HC for myself. i also have 2 liters of excel coming in this week. i'm planning to quench the thirst of excel that the HC will have. you'll have to check out my album soon too. i should post photos within the next few days. your tank looks super! after tearing down my tank, i found 7 otos! i thought i only had 4. how exciting! we both have those rasbora!

#25 ·
Fyi

So here is a quick update. As you can see my HC has really lost its mind. I am attempting to grow this riccia, and while it does throw off O2 like crazy, I'm not sure if it will be a permanent addition to this tank or not. Also you will see some of the new stone that I've added and the Giant Hairgrass has now completely covered the back wall. Sorry about the terrible photo quality, but I just ordered a brand new Digital camera, so stay posted for some awesome pics!

#26 ·
if oyu size your images down just a bit, they may look sharper.
I can't see the whole tank on my 17" widescreen, so the pics are pretty big.

The tank looks nice, the Hc too.
how are you liking the giant hairgrass? does it grow fast?

#27 ·
Thanks! The HC really just sat there for a week and then all of a sudden just started to take off like wild. Not is is really trying to cover every available grain of substrate. I'm in love! The Giant hairgrass is both wonderful and irritating. I love the look and it is thin and rigid for a background. However, it has the most irritatingly annoying habit for individual strands to just die. It spreads by runners which will show up in the most unlikely of places. But it doesn't grow fast at all. The only reason the other side of the tank eventually filled in was b/c I bought some more. It will spread if you break it up into smaller pieces but even that growth takes quite a while.

MARIMOBALL,

I am a contradiction in terms. I am one of the most patient people out there; my ability to wait for HC to grow is legendary, and I also am the most impatient people out there on certain other things (like computer parts, books, etc. to arrive). I gave the Glosso a good chance and it was actually quite green and healthy. If I hadn't decided to toss it out I would have left it alone but it simply was too high for my purposes. It is quite wierd, then, that HC (which has leaves with much less surface area for photosynthesis) can grow so well and compact but the glosso could not?

#29 ·
Great start on a tank! Good job!

Now my 2 cents...

Keep the HC, lose the riccia. I'm a riccia bigot - why would you you want that messy tank consuming blight when you are clearly a massive HC farmer? Go for the HC.

And watch that thread algae on the giant hairgrass. A word to the wise...

#31 ·
Thanks everybody! I appreciate the comments. Now maybe I can get more than 3 stars on my thread, lol! I think I'm going to be giving away the Riccia when it gets itself together and then let the HC spread through the rest of the tank. The Aquasoil definitely has something to do with it spreading; I don't have to dose hardly anything at all for the HC to grow (except Excel). Scolley, coming from you, I am very honored to have your compliments! I've been following your encyclopedic threads for many years now!

Last but not least, Ian, without your help none of my successes so far could have occurred. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.