Cherry shrimp laying eggs...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
edacsac
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Cherry shrimp laying eggs...

I think I had talked about this before as I watched a female "laying eggs", but someone said that they don't lay eggs and actually hatch or give birth to tiny shrimp. Well, I was watching a pregnant female in my new shrimp tank last night and she was doing the same thing: with her back legs she was like scooping out all the little yellow eggs she was carrying, all the while going about her other business like eating and zipping around the tank.

???
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
kunerd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

If i remember correctly if they lay thier eggs its because they are unfertilized. They do move them around from time to time. Im sure others will give you more info.
Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
kunerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Dwarfpufferfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish

First lets try to figure out what you mean by laying eggs?

In the animal world there are generally two types of animals. Egg layers and live bearers. Shrimp ARE egg layers. They do not give birth to live shrimp.

The shrimp that most of us are familiar with lay eggs and deposit them under their tail. They keep them there until they hatch. This is done to protect, clean, and oxygenate the eggs.

Are you saying you see the mother fanning the eggs around under her tail or do you see the eggs dropping down to the substrate?

If the eggs are dropping to the substrate there is something wrong. Odds are the mother is stressed out by something. I don't believe dropped eggs are unfertilized because the eggs are not laid until the male mates with the female.
-------------------------------------
Dwarfpufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
edacsac
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarfpufferfish View Post

In the animal world there are generally two types of animals. Egg layers and live bearers. Shrimp ARE egg layers. They do not give birth to live shrimp.

The shrimp that most of us are familiar with lay eggs and deposit them under their tail. They keep them there until they hatch. This is done to protect, clean, and oxygenate the eggs.

Are you saying you see the mother fanning the eggs around under her tail or do you see the eggs dropping down to the substrate?
The latter, they're actually comming out from under her tail when she kicks her feet, sticking to her legs and whatever else she's sitting on at the time.

Quote:
If the eggs are dropping to the substrate there is something wrong. Odds are the mother is stressed out by something. I don't believe dropped eggs are unfertilized because the eggs are not laid until the male mates with the female.
Tank parameters are good, I feed them algae wafers and I just got some hikari crab cuisuine and the hikari alge wafer brand, so they get an upgrade on food. They eat and leave leftovers, so I know they aren't starving. I do notice new little ones in the tank, but from what I've been told I should have 100 shrimps 3-4 weeks later as oppposed to an extra 1/2 dozen 3 weeks leater. I started with about 15. The tank is basement room temperature (about 70 degrees) and I didn't plan on heating the tank (I'm out of plugs...). I have a large floating mass of anacharis like stuff and some java moss tied to slate.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Dwarfpufferfish
Wannabe Guru

So the eggs are just falling off and sticking to whatever the female is sitting on? Well I would guess that female is having some sort of problem? Does the water temperature drop bellow 70 at night? I wonder if you are having temperature swings???
Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
wood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Yes there is something wrong with that female for her to be removing the eggs from her underside.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
edacsac
Planted Member

The temperature could possibly drop, but I had seen this happen in my main tank with a stable temp as well. I'll see if I make room for one more heater. I have some of those Y splitters. Maybe I'll pump 'em up to 80 degrees slowely over a few days.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Dwarfpufferfish
Wannabe Guru

Is it just one female or is it all of them?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #9
edacsac
Planted Member

Just one I've noticed so far.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #10
Dwarfpufferfish
Wannabe Guru

If it is just the one female there may be something wrong with her. I would personaly remove her from the aqurium to another tank for observation. It does sound like she is having some sort of a problem! Hard to say what the problem is!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
milalic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarfpufferfish View Post

So you basically saying that all eggs are fertilized?
I believe they do eat/remove unfertilized eggs or those that are developing some kind of fungus.(By no means I have done a study of this).

Crays also keep their young in their tails and they eat unfertilized eggs and/or those that develop fungus. It is easier to see in crayfish eggs since they are bigger. You can see some of the eggs develop a dark spot while they get clear in color in fertilize eggs. Other eggs either are cover in fungus or stay darker and never develop the crayfish. The crayfish mother eats these eggs.

milalic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
milalic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edacsac View Post
Just one I've noticed so far.
you sure is the same one, every single time you have observed this?

milalic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #13
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I think it is possible for the eggs to be unfertilized, but if the eggs are on the underside, the female has mated. Also, I have noticed that if you do a large water change, sometimes the shrimp will shed and leave the eggs behind.
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #14
wood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

If there are eggs then they are fertilized. The eggs are fertilized as they pass down into the "carriage". Male sperm was previously deposited during mating. The shrimp do not pass their eggs down until there is sperm deposited.

i have posted pictures of the Snowball Shrimp, where you can clearly see the eggs forming in the ovaries. I do not believe that the eggs can fully develop unless there is indeed sperm deposited.

There have been posts where people have had all female shrimp without any males. The females always had saddles for a long period of time but eggs never appear. Once a male was introduced the eggs appeared.

-Ryan
Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
edacsac
Planted Member

I noticed this on a single occassion in each of my tanks. I layed on my cold basement floor last night night and watched my shrimp tank for about and hour or so (tank is on the lower rack of a standard metal stand). All the females with eggs I observed where doing the faning thing, but not losing eggs. I can also verify that there are baby shrimp, as I noticed some of the tiniest I've ever seen.

Maybe this was an islolated incident, like what was mentioned with fungus or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.