What's happening to my plant? - Staugoryne repens - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #46
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi guys, I'm going to bring this old thread back up!

I no longer have s.repens in my tank because basically it ALL melted away. I have replaced with a different foreground plant and I am happy

But. What did cause our s.repens to melt? What do we all have in common that may have affected this plant?

I used Flourish Excel as a supplement to my pressurised CO2; I dose fertilisers using EI and there is plenty of flow and filtration.

How about the SOURCE of the plant - which company name was on the plant pot when you purchased them. Mine arrived in a little pot advertised Tropica 1-2-Grow!

Let me know,
Dan
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #47
r45t4m4n
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

had a few plants do this to me yesterday. Changes I made recently were
1. adding shrimp
2. slower 24/7 CO2 as apposed to scheduled more intense CO2
3. dosing extra phosphates for GSA
4. cleaning my filter, swapped out purigen bags

Had a nitrite spike after cleaning the filter (user error) and had to combat with a large Prime dosing.

I know a lot of variables but maybe an intersect somewhere there.
r45t4m4n is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #48
Sierra255
Planted Tank Obsessed

For Dannyul, my first question is why you are dosing Excel if you're using pressurized CO2. I have Starogyne repens in my aquarium and it's doing pretty well. I don't get fast growth, but it is growing and spreading. Well, as much as it can in my aquarium, I need to do some plant removal to create some more space for it. I have a 55 gallon with medium light (a 48" Marineland Double Bright and a 48" Current Satellite LED+) on for 10 hours a day, no CO2 and only occasional dry fert additions. It seems to be working for me so far for the last six or eight months.
Sierra255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #49
r45t4m4n
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

As an experiment I moved the 'melting' plants around the tank and planted them in the middle of healthy s repens. After a day or two I noticed the same 'melting' occurring on the once healthy plants surrounding them (but not to the extent of the original plants).

Since then I have been either removing the melting leaves or discarding the plant entirely depending on how far gone they are and it seems that I have reduced the melting considerably. Over the weekend I only found a couple leaves effected where earlier in the week it was about 5 entire plants.
r45t4m4n is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #50
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Very interesting r45t4. That would strongly argue that the plants are detecting the melting in nearby stems and it causes melting. Or possibly that it is a disease (which seems doubtful since it sometimes appears months after introducing the plants).

Seems likely that it is something along the lines of rotting apples cause other apples to rot.
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #51
neilshieh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)

I had this happen to me as well but it's more of an annoyance that the leaves are shed (and a real PITA to clean up all of the floating leaves) the stems stay healthy and regrow though so it's not that big of a deal. The patch of staurogyne growing in my tank is where I dump in my water when I do my water changes. I don't wait for water temps to equalize so maybe it might have to do with a sudden temp change?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #52
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

I wonder. Might be interesting to try that out though wouldn't shipping cause rapid temperature changes and cause melting every time they are posted?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #53
Catf1sh
Algae Grower

Has anyone seen this apple rotting effect happen with other plants apart from S.repens? Seems strange if it would be unique to one plant. I'm curious as these findings are very helpful in case people want to prevent contamination.
Catf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #54
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

I think crypt melt might also do something similar, though I haven't read of anyone testing it out by placing a melting crypt next to a healthy one and inducing melting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.