What's happening to my plant? - Staugoryne repens - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #31
Loach18
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I got the same thing happening in both my tanks I have it in
It will be good for a few months and then one spot will start to rot and then it just spreads through out the whole patch but the stems do stay green and it all grows back fairly quickly for me

In one of the tanks it has only done it once but in the other tank it has happened a couple times

When it first happened I was freaking out a little bit but now that I know it will grow back I just let it do it's thing
I'll suck up the dead leaves but that's about it
Loach18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 12:48 AM   #32
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Interesting, thanks for weighing in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #33
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Very interesting, so it seems fairly normal for this species.

Do you fertilize each tank the same way?

I'm looking forwards to when mine melts so I can take pictures.
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #34
Loach18
Algae Grower

Lol, well when it comes to ferts I haven't really been on a strict schedule
When I would remember to dose ferts they would both get the same
I just started dosing EI with dry ferts on Monday so I'm gonna try and keep on top of that and we will see how things go

I got the plant from petsmart in one of the packages with the gel crap in it so I got it emersed
I think it was about a week after I put it in my tank(an EBI) that the leaves started to melt (may have been longer, this was quite a while ago)
Soooo I freaked out and went to my trusty sidekick the internet for help
I remember reading on a site that it was common for emersed leaves to melt on this plant not too long after being submerged
But nothing about it happening several times like in my other tank(12long)

The only real differences I can think of between the 2 tanks is lighting and root room
In my EBI I have 3 different hight levels of soil and it's in about 4-5 in of soil
Loach18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #35
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi, I have a 55g that has a small area in the front planted with s. repens. Today, I noticed it is starting to do this as well...what is the best thing to do? As of right now it is on one stem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140221_130935.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	278026  

Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #36
AHP
Algae Grower

I would say pull the stem affected and see if it doesn't spread.
AHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #37
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHP View Post
I would say pull the stem affected and see if it doesn't spread.
Okay, ty for the advice.
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #38
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Damn, I had a stauro carpet in my 29g, almost 2/3s of a 36x12" footprint and grew about 1.5-2" thick - it was almost destroyed within a week when I went on vacation to New York.
But for the OP(I know it's too late) or anyone having the same issue, it has nothing to do with excel, I used to dose 3x directly on the plants and they didn't melt a single bit. Could it be perhaps something in the substrate? Perhaps burning the plant itself?
It's just so painful watching a carpet go like that, best of luck to anyone fighting this.
Default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #39
STS_1OO
Planted Member

Although I made a specific thread on it, do you guys find S. Repens struggling to take hold of the substrate? I use Fluval Stratum and I had about 20 stems planted a month ago and still have to replant the majority of it after 1 month! - the little that does grow, grows slowly in a 30-40 PAR (at substrate) tank with EI and injected CO2. Most of it has subsequently withered after never grabbing hold of the substrate and I had to throw it out. I'm left with maybe 10 stems.

I too noticed some of the same rot and promptly discarded the affected stems. Since I still can't get a proper carpet going, the rot probably didn't have a chance to propagate (if it indeed does).

But that sort of propagation has to be something localized...either a secretion or added chemical or some sort of bacterial/fungal rot. Although I'm not a botanist, I can't imagine that's a normal part of S. Repen's growth cycle.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #40
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS_1OO View Post
Although I made a specific thread on it, do you guys find S. Repens struggling to take hold of the substrate? I use Fluval Stratum and I had about 20 stems planted a month ago and still have to replant the majority of it after 1 month! - the little that does grow, grows slowly in a 30-40 PAR (at substrate) tank with EI and injected CO2. Most of it has subsequently withered after never grabbing hold of the substrate and I had to throw it out. I'm left with maybe 10 stems.

I too noticed some of the same rot and promptly discarded the affected stems. Since I still can't get a proper carpet going, the rot probably didn't have a chance to propagate (if it indeed does).

But that sort of propagation has to be something localized...either a secretion or added chemical or some sort of bacterial/fungal rot. Although I'm not a botanist, I can't imagine that's a normal part of S. Repen's growth cycle.

I believe your lighting might have something to do with your problem, although I've grown mine in even lower lights, were they emersed grown prior to you planting?
However I've never seen the rot that this thread is focused on, the most issues I've seen from this plant is when they choke each other for light.
Also I'd add they plant is very nutrient demanding, within a week it would show deficiencies if not dosed.
Another tip would be the same as all the other online sources, the longer the bare stem planting the better, I've always they rooted much better this way.
This picture shows my stauros roughly a month and a half after planting, they were immersed prior so that took little adjustment, but had almost 2-3" roots within weeks, they seem to really do well with root tabs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	278658  

Old 02-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #41
STS_1OO
Planted Member

That's a gorgeous carpet Default.

The ones I bought from a TPT member I assume were submersed (cuttings from an established tank). The Petsmart ones however, were placed in their damp bags with that moisture retaining gel. I suspected they would melt a little and I'm sure part of my struggle is attributed to that.

Yet, 1 month later and every single reaming stem will uproot by the slightest nudge or disruption of the surrounding substrate.

All of my research suggested 30-40 par is plenty and that's partly why I went with that rather than something like Glosso or HC. I also read that S. Repens is a heavy nitrate consumer but that my EI dosing should do just fine, no?

I think it's this stupid Fluval Stratum lol.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #42
green18
Algae Grower

I have the petsmart pack planted in a mix of Eco complete and activ- flora and have not had any pull up. Your substrate is pretty similar isn't it?
green18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #43
STS_1OO
Planted Member

My first tank had Eco complete and I loved it. A tough, dense substrate.

Fluval stratum is a powdery, relatively light substrate. The individual particles are soft and they compress into a fine powder rather easily. Because of this and s. repens not rooting, anytime the substrate is agitated near my s repens, they uproot.

It's marketed as a shrimp tank substrate. Needless to say I'm not a fan lol.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #44
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just to throw in the mix...I am using pool filter sand and my s repens (from PetsMart) has rooted very well. About half of mine is looking pretty ratty now but I am seeing some replacement growth already. I have never used root tabs I just picked up some seachem tabs to try.
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #45
Algae Grower

I actually have some s. Repens in a tank with stratum, not a favorite, and apparently doesn't even contain too much nutrients. I have however setup nanos in the past that did very well with the stratum - full DHG carpets.
I've also grown stauros in fluorite and other inerts, but I find best growth in aquasoil, high ferts and soft water - got a 2.5" carpet within 2-3 months of planting from 1cm cuttings.