What's happening to my plant? - Staugoryne repens - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
Blizwiz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

This happened to my s. repens after it had been doing great for probably 6 months. It started in a small part looking just like yours and I realized that it was spreading so I took out everything that was "infected" and picked off all leaves from other stems that were good enough to keep.
Blizwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 AM   #17
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I know this is way out there but sometimes I just wonder if we really have as much knowledge about aquarium plants as we think. There are species of plants that release toxins that kill other plants as its taking over. In this hobby we are constantly mixing many species of plants from all over the world together that in the wild would never coexist. Just something to think about.

I know this doesn't help your problem, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

I hope your plants bounce back!
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #18
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

As much as we have learned over the years in the hobby we really don't know that much about aquatic plants compared to what we know about other plants like food crops. Aquatics aren't commercially valuable so there is not a lot of research funding for experiments involving them. Except on how to kill them or use them to mop up aquatic pollution.

Most of what we know is derived from those few experiments or from hydroponics/food crop research, which isn't a perfect match for aquatic plants.

Of course you can still learn quite a bit from reading up about other plants and making educated guesses/assumptions. Not to mention running a few experiments on your own.
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

PTrader: (0/0%)

UPDATE

Okay, so as the brown patch is enlarging, the leaves of the affected plants have turned brown, to transparent(ish) and then fallen off/disintegrated.

All that is left of the affected area is green stems so I'm guessing this is a good sign?

Dan
Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #20
Fujiija
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hi Dannyul - whatever happened to this situation? I have the exact same thing happening that you mentioned (and others). I have new ecocomplete so I don't think I have any bad spots (yet) in the substrate. I am doing Excel and did spot peroxide because I'm algae phobic.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Same issue here within the last week and I've found other cases online but no one really knows what it is. Starts as small roundish spots and spreads. I've been hacking all bad spots off hoping it won't spread. I have not been dosing glut/excel. I do use peroxide to spot treat. The only thing kinda made sense to me is that I do tend to dump my dry ferts over top of these plants but I try to add it slow enough so the current takes it away...it shouldn't be falling directly on to bye he plants. I have flow across the front for my return hose and across the back from a power head.
TekWarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #22
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

I wonder if this problem might be related to the density of the plants. It seems to me that most of the pictures I've seen of this problem show plants in the center of a patch melting. Perhaps the plants in the middle grow too densely, do not get enough nutrients, then start to melt.

Then the melt propagates due to chemical signals the damaged leaves give off. Often times when plants begin to deteriorate they put out chemicals that promote other plants to melt or rot. Sort of like one bad apple in a barrel.

I think an interesting test would be to take a stem or two of the deteriorating plants and insert them into a healthy patch of plants. If the melting spreads outwards from that point it will likely be due to chemical signals causing the deterioration to spread. If my Staurogyne starts to melt I will try this and see.

Interesting that the stems are still green. I wonder if this is a natural mechanism for this species? Perhaps when the leaves become too dense they melt leaving the stems behind which can regrow leaves and absorb nutrients they need. Food for thought I suppose.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #23
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't see the melt starting at the center necessarily but I do have dense clumps. My s repens was just really starting to take off and spread then this started.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #24
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

Can you take some pics of it? I'd like to add them to the database.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will see if I have a good example left, I have been really hacking away at any affected spots the last few days but still have some. Maybe the OP can take some also.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #26
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
Maybe the OP can take some also.
That would be great. The more pictures the better.

I did a bit of searching on the net and this seems to be unrelated to nutrients. I think it is something particular to this species. Sort of how like crypts occasionally melt for no particular reason.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #27
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking about what you said Zapins and I saw some other mentions along you line of thought. Something maybe to do with changes that s repens deals with in this way. Only thing I can think of as far as changes in my case is that I have started lowering the temp of my house during the day. I've checked the tank temps though during this time but the variance hasn't been more than a couple degrees. I have what is probably an undersized heater for my 40 at 150w but I don't heat it to more than 75F degrees, my house drops to 65 during the day while at work but I've yet to take a temp reading that is below 74F. Does s repens require a warmer temp?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #28
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

I don't think a drop of a degree or two would cause melting, and as far as I know S. repens doesn't require very warm water. To rule it out 100% though someone would have to test that theory out I suppose.

I think it is more likely to be a density related problem, probably causing nutrient limitation and eventual death of the leaves.

From nearly all of the other examples I've found online nothing has changed in daily routine/dosing but the plants still melt.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #29
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I Just thought some other changes I hadn't considered. I am using DIY CO2 on my 40 (i know some don't think it works but it does for me) and I adjusted one of my bottles a week ago with lower yeast amount as a test...well the output of that bottle stinks so I am getting less CO2 at the moment. Last week (and this week) I have bumped ferts up to the EI 40-60 dosing amounts (dry) as I am seeing some slight signs of deficiencies again and my plants have really grown/filled out since I started.

Maybe the change in CO2? I run 3 2Liter bottles and get moderate growth which is fine with me. One bottle being off could really change params in my case.

Your density theory also makes sense. I had originally planted individual stems and they have all bushed out with lots of new growth but I don't have a solid carpet yet...was just starting to fill in the gaps before I hacked away the rotted areas. Wouldn't this plant normally grow like this? Not sure why being dense would cause the rot. I do see in a lot of other photos that he plants seem more spread out and even a bit taller than mine. I could split up the "bunches" more at some point I was hoping to have fairly good covering/carpet.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #30
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

This plant did the same thing for me, it's not worth the trouble. I have a theory that it probably doesn't like being grown submersed nonstop.

Last edited by Urkevitz; 02-18-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Wrong word
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote