What's happening to my plant? - Staugoryne repens
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

What's happening to my plant? - Staugoryne repens

Hello all,

I planted some Staugoryne repens a few weeks ago for a foreground feature and to also produce a carpet effect in the tank.

All was going well until this happened...

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	224
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	254049

Now, I am dosing the EI and have been for about 6 months. No other plants are showing signs of nitrogen, phosphate or potassium defiencies. I also does trace elements also as EI dosing. Therefore it cannot be a fertilisation issue.

CO2 has been set at 30ppm for as long as I can remember and the drop-checker is lime-green. Flow to all plants is perfectly fine, and CO2 bubbles also manage to get down to the substrate which is good.

To me, this looks like some kind of rot - a disease almost - and I'm wondering if I'm right? If so, what can I do about it?

Any help would be grateful as looking at my carpet plants turning to this horrible stuff is gutting

Thanks
Dan
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Boondock saint
Algae Grower

The EXACT thing happened to my S. Repens not too long ago. I am not 100% sure what happened, the only thing I can think of is that I spot treated the area with H2O2 and left it too long before turning my filter back on. If anyone has any other insight I would be interested to hear! mine melted in several areas and its still growing back.
Boondock saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

I've seen this a few times, but I think the roots just die off or some other issue a week or two ago cause a lull in the growth etc. It'll recover, but it'll be a shedding PITA for a few 2-3 weeks basically.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

This does not look like a deficiency. The new and old growth is involved which is usually a sign of a toxicity. It also looks quite localized, almost like something was sprayed in that area. Excel or peroxide (as Boondock mentioned) are the likely culprits. Dry fertilizers can also burn plant leaves if the chemicals touch the leaves. Did you dose either of those near the plant?

There are very few aquatic plant diseases that affect plants in submersed form, so it is unlikely to be a disease.

Last edited by Zapins; 01-03-2014 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: no reason
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

i agree with Boondock saint and Zapins, it could look like toxicity but it should effect the wider area, not just that little area, Excel or peroxide might be the only cause, Magnesium (dry) could also be the cause if you just dumped it directly on that area.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
xdang
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Something similar happened to me when I transferred my Staugoryne repens from tap water to mineralized RO after a week. The leaves just melted non stop with only the new growth left over but it eventually rebounded. Im guessing its still adjusting if you can rule out that its not a toxicity problem.
xdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

Thanks for your replies

I dose Excel at the recommended dose directly into the tank - not in specific areas. So I can rule that out. I have never dosed peroxide so it cannot be that either.

For fertilisation - I mix dry salts in deionised water to make up a solution, which then I dose so many ml's in standard to EI dosing. Therefore, nutrients couldn't have caused this.

Maybe it's just, after two weeks, decided that it doesn't like the new water so it's being stupid and shedding...

Only time will tell I guess? I'll let nature take its course.

If anyone else has this problem, or has had this problem, let me know and tell me what you did, if anything, to solve it.

Dan
Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

UPDATE:

This brown patch seems to be getting bigger and it seems it is 'spreading' onto other leaves of neighbouring s. repens. The brown patch seems to b enlarging from one spot? Is this meant to happen? To me, this looks like some kind of disease otherwise if it was something to do with the water, wouldn't the whole carpet be affected at the same time?

Dan
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have no idea what is going on but as a gardener I would suggest you remove all the affected foliage at least.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
JMN16150
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Probably it's the sudden addition of the carbon excel. I've read a bunch of cases where plants die because liquid carbon was suddenly being used. Your supposed to use to use a tiny bit and gradually put more until the plants could handle the suggested ammount for minimal shock
JMN16150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Very interesting.

If it appears to be caused by plants being near dying plants then I'd do as BruceF suggested and prune the dying ones back and then remove a few healthy stems around the damaged areas. If it is a disease then this should slow its progression.

It could also be that for whatever reason the plants started dying off, and they are releasing chemicals or hormones that are causing surrounding plants to die off. In either scenario you should probably remove affected plants to reduce the spread.
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN16150 View Post
Probably it's the sudden addition of the carbon excel. I've read a bunch of cases where plants die because liquid carbon was suddenly being used. Your supposed to use to use a tiny bit and gradually put more until the plants could handle the suggested ammount for minimal shock

I am pretty sure it is not excel unless you are overdosing it 3x+. I mean, not just the daily dosage but the initial dosage as well. Well, my S repens are somewhat struggling, in one section but not in another. The first 3 weeks I did use 2x daily excel in order to prevent any outbreak of algae while the S repens were getting used to the tank condition. As soon as I stopped dosing excel, I have one section losing and melting old leaves while new leaves are growing. And I have one section which is thriving really well.

For the OP, it is possible that there are dead spots in your substrate in that particular section. It is spreading because because the dead spots are spreading in the substrate.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (49/100%)

I had this happen a few years ago to a very healthy patch of S. repens for no apparent reason and after trimming away the parts of the plants where it was melting away it stopped spreading. I have no idea what changed that would have caused it but it was really frustrating at the time to see perfectly healthy plants just start to melt in the middle and spread outward.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #14
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

I'll remove as much as I can. Such a shame.
Starting to give up and I shouldn't! - I'm always one to say never give up!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #15
MaStErFiShKeEps
Planted Member

This is just my two cents, but I think it's caused by lack of flow. Increase the water circulation in those area's and see what happens.

MaStErFiShKeEps is offline   Reply With Quote