Fertilizer in my tap water? High Nitrate Levels.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #1
bklock
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Since it really is only a few weeks into my planted tank life, I am a newbie... so any help is gretly appreciated.

I had a major problem with my AP Nitrate test... i.e. it didn't work. A week ago I took my water to the LFS where the salesperson freaked out because my Nitrates were 40+. I did two 25% water changes since then, and have not added any additional Nitrate.

After testing today, and still seeing very little change in my Nitrate levels, I was baffled. My plants are doing great. Good growth, heavy pearling throughout my light cycles. Since added the pressurized CO2 system two weeks ago, my Red Melon has shown amazing new growth with really large leaves. My java fern has put out several plantlets. The tiny bit of Riccia that I got last weekend has already double in size. Obviously with my levels out of whack, I am having some algae growth... but otherwise, I would think the plants should be sucking up the NO3.

So, I used the test kit on my tap water, and found my levels are almost 40ppm right out of the tap... I

Is this unusual?

What should I do?

Homebuilt Pressurized CO2 Injection
Rena XP3 Filtration
Still using my original gravel substrate
bklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 02:17 AM   #2
trenac
Wannabe Guru

There are some different products available that will help remove nitrates from your water, like Algone which I use. Just place the pouch into your filter and change it out every two weeks. One pouch treats up to 55G.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:00 AM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Which test are you using now that you found your AP test kit didn't work?

It is possible that you get those levels out of your tap water. It's not healthy, but the max levels allowed by whoever determines that are 45 ppm.

I'd say: fill it up with plants! Lotsa Riccia, and fastgrowing stemplants. Wisteria, Ambulia, Rotala, Cabomba, more java fern... Swords aren't that great for sucking up NO3.

Plants will eat up the nitrogen, and you can drink the healthier tankwater, hmmm!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:26 AM   #4
bklock
Algae Grower

As far as testing, I am using Mardel test strips... I am waiting on my new Red Sea kits to be delivered from BigAls.

I really would like to get some of the Red Rotala... as that I really would like to add some more color to the tank... Even better if it starts to suck up the NO3. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any locally.

I've never mail-ordered plants, and I am bit worried about with the 12 weather here in Pennsylvania. I'd hate come home to find a UPS package full of frozen greens.
Homebuilt Pressurized CO2 Injection
Rena XP3 Filtration
Still using my original gravel substrate
bklock is offline   Reply With Quote