Substrate question/looking to switch to planted tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-17-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
Broken
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sorry I don't know much about substrate, right now I have a non-planted tank, and want to switch over to planted. I just have standard gravel in the tank. Do I need to remove the grave and purchase something like eco-complete for the entire bottom of the tank or do I mix it with my current gravel. I have a few LFS that sell it, and they told me I needed to switch over, I don't mind spending the money, but wanted to make sure this is correct, because I don't want to mess this up and would like to do it right the first time.
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

How long have you had the gravel in there for and how many fish do you have, and what kind of fishies do you have?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
Broken
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Community fish, such as swords, neons, angels, clown loaches, around 25 fish. The tank is getting moved to a new location only to another room of the house, and I plan to move the fish to friends q tank while the move takes place. The gravel in the tank now has been in there for about 2 months, the tank has been fully cycled for about 1 month
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

The only reason I ask is that after a while, there's enough mulm in just plain gravel like yours to provide nutrients for your plants via the substrate. However, after only 2 months, I think if you're going to strip your tank down and don't care about spending the money, then I'd go with roughly three inches of ecco complete. It's great for plants and already has bacteria in it. It's the freshwater equivalant to live rock. You don't have to rinse it, just toss it in your tank and you should be ready to go. For substrate.