Keeping Ram cichlids?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
TurtleShark
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Keeping Ram cichlids?

Hello! And, happy New Year!

I'm just looking for information on keeping rams (german blue, german gold, and bolivian.) in a community tank (rummynose tetra, neon tetra, cherry barb, and possibly some otos or cory cats.)

The tank I'd keep them in is a 29 gallon, and I have one of each of the above rams, and five of each of the other fish.

So, is there anything I should know? The fish won't get along? I'm crazy for even considering this? Anything at all?
55 gallon -- 2 bala sharks, 4 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark // 29 gallon -- 1 four inch painted turtle // 10 gallon -- many small pond snails, 2 plants,5 serpae tetra, 2 guppies, 5 nerite snails // 10 gallon -- 2 mollies, 1 pictus catfish // 10 gallon -- temp. snail tank // Recent losses / gains -- 1 molly, 2 pictus catfish (ick)
TurtleShark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
awesometim1
Algae Grower

Rams are just awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was told just keep shrimp out of the mix, unless you're feeding them to the rams on purpose. (sad for me, as I really wanted an electric blue ram)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
Lamar
Algae Grower

The Blues and the Golds prefer warmer water than that of the Bolivians.

Personally I think the Bolivians are much hardier and easier to keep. Full of personality, and probably one of my favorite fish too..
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
TurtleShark
Planted Member

I agree that they are awesome, that's why I'm looking into some. And, the smallest thing in the tank would be pond snails, it there'd be any in there at all. I've never bothered with shimp.
55 gallon -- 2 bala sharks, 4 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark // 29 gallon -- 1 four inch painted turtle // 10 gallon -- many small pond snails, 2 plants,5 serpae tetra, 2 guppies, 5 nerite snails // 10 gallon -- 2 mollies, 1 pictus catfish // 10 gallon -- temp. snail tank // Recent losses / gains -- 1 molly, 2 pictus catfish (ick)
Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
TurtleShark
Planted Member

I've heard that they are hardier and have great personalities from several sources. I like that about them, but I do love the colors on the germans as well.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #7
WallEyes
Algae Grower

I have two bolivian's in my tank and they are by far the most personable. Between the occasional squaring up against each other and their synchronized dancing along the front of the tank, I think they are my favorite fish. They only fish they interact with is my two Honey Gouramis and I'm not too sure what the meaning is.

Sounds like a fun tank to watch!
WallEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 AM   #8
frankiefire702
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have two bolivians with neon tetras, glolight tetras and two honey guoramis. Everyone gets along just fine. Like everyone said the bolivians have the most personality. I would try to get fast sinking food as that is the only way my rams eat. The tetras tend to get all the food before it reaches the bottom.
frankiefire702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
edstewart5
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Keeping Ram cichlids?

Your tank sounds exactly like mine. I have a 29G working on being heavily planted (plants need to grow) and I have neon tetras, a GBR pair, a single GBR, a bolivian, and an EBR. They all get along well. And their color is amazing! Especially from my mated pair. Along with those fish I have two BN plecos, two otos (only two that made it) and a pearl gourami and then some amano shrimp (although the bolivian eats the smaller ones).
edstewart5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #10
frankiefire702
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I watched one of my rams actually run away from one of my larger amano shrimp the other day. lol.
frankiefire702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #11
Kristian
Algae Grower

Those should all be fine together, rams are awesome community fish, I keep mine with cardinal tetras and ottos, along with a few other species.. They absolutely will eat any shrimp thrown into the mix thogh. Keeping one of each can be risky too, I would get a pair if I were you. A male and a female, if you get two males they will chase each other quite a bit and fight. I am currently keeping a pair of germans, and a female EBR and a male gold ram. The Germans are paired up 90% of the time while the Gold just chases everyone and the ebr just gets chased. Planning on returning the Gold ram and trying a male ebr for the female.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #12
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Hmm... Do you know how I'd get a pair? Unless PetSmart carries the rams, I'd be stuck with ordering off liveaquaria, and they don't have an option for a pair... There is a fish store in my state, but it's nearly 200 miles away from where I live... I'm stuck with either PetSmart, WalMart, or Meijer for fish, and there's no way I'm buying fish for WalMart or Meijer....
Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 AM   #13
Kristian
Algae Grower

Well I know the petsmarts around my area very rarely have german blues so if I were you I would find a male and a female German Blue and order them
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
Italionstallion888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have 4 Bolivian Rams in my 50g

they swim with my Betta, Cory's, tetra and cherry barbs

I have 2 gold rams and 2 blue's in my 29g and they get along just fine.

You honestly can't go wrong with either of them.
Italionstallion888 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Hmm... I can try to get a male and female, but liveaquaria does not offer that option. It's either a ram, or a ram, not a male or a female... I just sent them a question and asked if such a thing was possible, I doubt their reply will be yes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.