Fluval edge 12g Mod?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
seantelope

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

Fluval edge 12g Mod?

Does anyone have a simple LED mod for the fluval edge as many of you know its lighting isn't the greatest for planted tanks? Something simple and easy? All the ones i see are pretty complex, and I'm not that great with technology and DIY haha. Thanks!
seantelope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Deano85
Algae Grower

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=cr&ei...edge+light+mod
Deano85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #3
jtamir

Default Cheap and effective LED modification

I have a Fluval edge 12G for about 3 years. After my second set of the original LED fixture died, I recently decided to improvise. I bought new 3 X 19 inch submersible LED light bars on Ebay (for a total of 31$ including shipment). Each bar has 57 high output LEDs (no par data available…). I fix them together with an electric insolation tape. You can control the angle of the light bars so all the tank gets light. You can also buy the shorter version and install them inside the tank (submersible!!). I tried that, but had a problem of algae growing on the bars. So far my plants are growing nicely (so is my BBA).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0101141930b.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	253441  

Name:	0101141930.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	253449  

Name:	0101141929a.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	253457  

Name:	0101141929b.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	253465  

jtamir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 AM   #4
honest
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtamir View Post
I have a Fluval edge 12G for about 3 years. After my second set of the original LED fixture died, I recently decided to improvise. I bought new 3 X 19 inch submersible LED light bars on Ebay (for a total of 31$ including shipment). Each bar has 57 high output LEDs (no par data available…). I fix them together with an electric insolation tape. You can control the angle of the light bars so all the tank gets light. You can also buy the shorter version and install them inside the tank (submersible!!). I tried that, but had a problem of algae growing on the bars. So far my plants are growing nicely (so is my BBA).
how bright is it?? thats pretty sweet man thx for sharing, i might go this route
honest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 AM   #5
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can't vouch for long term results, but I'm currently experimenting with putting the Fluval Nano light in my 6 gal spec (exactly the same as your 12 gal tank, but not as tall, all electronics and filters are otherwise identical). It fits under the hood... mostly. Maintains the clean look of the tank, and considerably more light output than the stock lights (which you can easily remove with four screws).

Hagen Fluval Nano Aqua Life and Plant Performance LED Lamp:
Amazon.com: Hagen Fluval Nano Aqua Life and Plant Performance LED Lamp: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Hagen Fluval Nano Aqua Life and Plant Performance LED Lamp: Pet Supplies

That said, I apparently got lucky on the price: mine was $50 two weeks ago, instead of $70 right now (and free Amazon shipping). Same price as the 42 LED OEM option, so I gambled on it.

I'm happy with the light so far, although I need to do more work to get the hood to fully close with it in place.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 AM   #6
Deano85
Algae Grower

Ok correct me if im wrong but the fluval edges use 2 mr11 bulbs, stock?

If so just replace them with mr16 leds. The thing is the higher powered mr16's tend to heat up alot and fail. Also they can get quite long and may not fit.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...-gallon-6.html

http://dx.com/s/mr16?Sort=ReviewsCount
Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
Ok correct me if im wrong but the fluval edges use 2 mr11 bulbs, stock?

If so just replace them with mr16 leds. The thing is the higher powered mr16's tend to heat up alot and fail. Also they can get quite long and may not fit.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...-gallon-6.html

http://dx.com/s/mr16?Sort=ReviewsCount
There are two models of Fluval Edge. The original model used two MR11 halogen bulbs, yes. The newer versions, however, all come with LED fixtures instead. Not sure which the OP has.

The original ones can indeed be upgraded to LED MR16 bulbs, as you can see in the thread you link as well as here in the Official Fluval Edge thread. I'm not sure that they put out the same amount of light as some of the others under consideration, however, and further, the household lighting MR16s are definitely not optimized for use in the humid environment found under the aquarium hood, nor are they designed to output photosynthesis spectrum lighting like the dedicated units are.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #8
Deano85
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
nor are they designed to output photosynthesis spectrum lighting like the dedicated units are.

I think you're drinking some fluval koolaid. 6500k would work just fine.

Also look at the specs.

Size: 14 cm x 15.5 cm (5.5 in x 6 in)
Number of LEDs: 84
Wattage: 8W
Lumens: 321 LM
Lux: 5952
CRI: 7800K
Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
I think you're drinking some fluval koolaid. 6500k would work just fine.

Also look at the specs.

Size: 14 cm x 15.5 cm (5.5 in x 6 in)
Number of LEDs: 84
Wattage: 8W
Lumens: 321 LM
Lux: 5952
CRI: 7800K
Fluval is far from the only aquarium lighting company to mix other color LEDs in their fixtures, rather than all just white, but no worries, it doesn't bother me if you have an issue with Fluval in particular. And yes, going that route, 6500k would be the best option.

My point, however, was that if the OP recently bought a Fluval Edge, it's far more likely that he has the newer version that's already LED-based (just inadequate). If that's the case, there's nowhere for him to plug in an MR16 bulb, since that's only on the older Halogen version of the Edge tank lights.

Tags
diy, edge, fluval, led, light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.