Wrong Finnex for growing plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
eveready6

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool

Wrong Finnex for growing plants?

I have a standard size 55 gallon freshwater tank with a 48" FugeRay LED light. I have had my water tested by my local pet store and all is well. I love the illumination that this light provides but I am disappointed that I cannot keep plants living. I know my fish would appreciate some live plants to hide behind. Should I get a 2 bulb HO t-5, I have asked Finnex for a light spectrum for the FugeRay 2 but in a return email he gave his opinion and a link to their lights - but not a spectrum. I am not certain that the FugeRay 2 or Planted+ would work. Should I just get the t-5 or is there another solution to this problem? Have you heard anything about a red 17" accent light - would that work to give me the light I need in order to grow plants?
eveready6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Tzac
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most beginners think that light is the issue when they cannot grow plants but in truth it tends to be a fertilizing and/or CO2 problem. Spend some time researching plant substrates, fert dosing regimes, and CO2 in the planted aquarium.
Tzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

eveready6,

Lighting is only one part of an environment for growing plants.

The plants selected would be the number one thing to examine as the environment would need to satisfy the basic essentials .

not sure what a local pet store would test for that's specific for plants. Did you ask them to test for phosphates, nitrates, potassium and general hardness?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
eveready6

The substrate I have is Flourite Red. I have 2 types of plants right now: Hygrophylis - which seems to be growing ok and Jungle Val - this has leaves that are turning brown and dying. I have not put in plant fertilizer or CO2. Are both of these items needed in order to grow plants? Is my current light sufficient in order to grow plants?
eveready6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveready6 View Post
which seems to be growing ok and Jungle Val - this has leaves that are turning brown and dying.
How long have you had these plants? If they are just planted you will get some melt at first before they rebound but if you are not dosing or injected CO2 you're going to struggle as others have stated.

Quote:
I have not put in plant fertilizer or CO2. Are both of these items needed in order to grow plants?
Successfully, yes.

Quote:
Is my current light sufficient in order to grow plants?
Yes, it is very much sufficient.

Like others have stated and I agree, lighting is just one piece of the puzzle. There are many other aspects that you need to research like CO2 and dosing ferts. Even if it is commercial liquid ferts and CO2 supplements at the very least.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

You don't have to have CO2 in order to grow many plants. I built a beautiful heavily planted Jungle aquarium in a 125 gallon tank with no CO2 added.

Look in to fertilizer (like seachem flourish) and try some more species of plants. Not all plants you have will do well, so find some that do.

Also, if your aquarium is new, it make take a while for nutrients from the fish to build up in the gravel to feed your plants. Ours was pretty slow growing at first.

Look at some more easy to grow species of plants like anubias, java fern etc.
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

CO2 can complicate matters.

I am not using CO2 in my 29G tank right now and have excellent results with my plants.

I using a FugeRay 2, which is a little to bright for my needs.

May I suggest a book that help me out a great deal...
Aquarium Plants (Mini Encyclopedia Series for Aquarium Hobbyists) Aquarium Plants (Mini Encyclopedia Series for Aquarium Hobbyists)
. I found the opening primer on planted tanks very help and I own much of my success to the book and this forum.

Be patient, it can take some time before your planted tank gets rolling, but once it does, it can easily get away from you.