balcony/indoor pond - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
kman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
I just reread where you mentioned that you have no outlets for power but there is a hole for airline tubing. You can easily cut the plug end from a water pump ,run the wire through the same hole, rewire/tape the plug end back on and plug it into your inside socket.
Except running non-plenum-rated power lines through exterior walls (or interior walls, even) is a MAJOR fire code violation. If there's ever a fire, and your insurance company discovers this was done, instant policy cancellation.

That said, most apartment owners would be willing to allow a licensed electrician to install a real, to code, exterior power outlet. Should be possible to hire an electrician to do this for under $100, possibly less depending on where you live (NYC is probably going to cost more than Hayes, Kansas).

Sounds like it's probably not necessary, given the existing setup seems to be working, but if the OP decides more flexibility would help, that may very well be a good option to look into.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
Kado
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Except running non-plenum-rated power lines through exterior walls (or interior walls, even) is a MAJOR fire code violation. If there's ever a fire, and your insurance company discovers this was done, instant policy cancellation.

That said, most apartment owners would be willing to allow a licensed electrician to install a real, to code, exterior power outlet. Should be possible to hire an electrician to do this for under $100, possibly less depending on where you live (NYC is probably going to cost more than Hayes, Kansas).

Sounds like it's probably not necessary, given the existing setup seems to be working, but if the OP decides more flexibility would help, that may very well be a good option to look into.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it would be a violation, even if it isn't I wouldn't feel safe doing it. I would love to be able to install an outlet on the balcony, but technically the balcony isn't part of our property so we can't do anything to the outside wall.

some updates..
raised the planter and modified the airlift system to pump into the planter instead of out. This way I can run a pipe from the bottom of the tank to get more lift and flow. Also with the planter raised the goldfish have much more room to swim and hide now.
also changed out the disposable sponge pad in the air filter for a washable sponge pad..so now part of the filter is having to cycle again and there are some nitrites. At least I know that the filter was working.

IMG_2750 by Ecopot, on Flickr
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #18
Eglinlotus
Algae Grower

Awesome
Eglinlotus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #19
Kado
Planted Member

update..

added a bog filter and more plants

Untitled by Ecopot, on Flickr

veggies are growing fairly well for indoors

Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
kman
Wannabe Guru

Looking good!
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #21
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice. Why the rocks under the bog output? Quiet down the splash? Liking bog filtration more and more. If things go right, I'll soon have one too in my little pond.

How many goldfish do you have in there? Sarasa comet? Pic?
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #22
Kado
Planted Member

No real reason for the rocks. Just had them laying around so I thought I'd put them to use. It's actually a little quieter with out the rocks. It's on a shelf so fish can still swim under it.

Best pick I could take with my phone camera. The orange guy has a single tail and the other 2 have double tails. They were just labeled as plain goldfish when I bought them so maybe just random mixed breeds. I also have some small local river fish I there too.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #23
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

the 2 double tails are Wakin and the orange one is either a common or a sarasa (orange/red and white coloring)

Interesting. This may be the reason why they was sold as a common goldfish

Quote:
The Japanese use the term "Wakin" to describe all Common goldfish. This causes some confusion in the United States, because the word "Wakin" is used to denote single-tailed Common Goldfish in Japan as well...they use the word to refer to both types of fish. But in America, it specifically refers to the split-tailed fish.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #24
Oto Guy
Algae Grower

Very cool. Interesting filtration.
Oto Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #25
Ace_Aquascapes
Algae Grower

Thats good Hydroponics ! i'd be more intrested in knowin how fast the veggies would grow. Very creative job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.