balcony/indoor pond
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
Kado
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

balcony/indoor pond

We had to clear our balcony due to renovations. My wife wasn't too happy at first, but now that it's done I think she is really enjoying it. Once the renovations are done and the weather is warmer it should be really easy just to move the whole thing back on the balcony.

Untitled by Ecopot, on Flickr
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Very nice!!!

Info on the build would be nice.
AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Why that brought up this story...
Many many moons ago...when I used to "collect" for my tank while married, I found one of those rootbeer mugs made of glass
and kind of thick. I brought it home, cleaned it and used it for my coffee since it held 16oz. One day the wife ask don't we have any clean glasses and I pointed to that one. "never mind"...Why?..."because it came from outside." LOL...

Are you sure that's not an "outside" toy ? Be nice to someone who lets you bring in your outside toy...or you could be...outside..LOL...

But then one day I came home and she was drinking from it and I asked....Didn't you say it was from outside ?
"Yea but you been drinking from it a month and you haven't died so..."

Isn't it nice to be loved...
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Kado
Planted Member

Lol...thanks for the story Raymond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Very nice!!!

Info on the build would be nice.
I have no outlets on my balcony so I wanted to try a system that can run on just a few air pumps. I are already some holes in the walls for A/C and heating pipes so running few air lines outside to the balcony is simple. My goldfish use to live in an aquaponics system where I had PVC pipes and sumps running though the wall, but since its no fun to maintain or take apart I'd really like something easier to use.

I'm still testing and watching water parameters to see if I have enough filtration. Also, in summer time I'm planning to grow water hyaciniths to help out even more.

Here is a pic of the whole set up. Holds about 20g.

IMG_2744 by Ecopot, on Flickr

For filtration I have a big flat air filter. It does a pretty good job on solids, but gets dirty really quick. Really easy to clean though.
Air filter.
http://www.tropiland.net/shopdetail/...X/page2/order/

I also have an air stone and some PVC connected to the pot to help filter and circulate the water through it. The media is expanded clay. Planning on growing some veggies in there too.
Its set up like this.

airpower by Ecopot, on Flickr
Old 12-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

LOL...the first picture of this had me thinking you had about a 60 gallon tub of water due to lack of seeing how deep it was.
Looked as though it went down to the floor with water.
Water Hyacinth is one of only two plants which takes out nitrates at the same time as ammonia according to one article I read.
They said test had been done, and to what extent it included "all plants" is up for grabs but only two use both at the same time.
"All" other plants used the ammonia first till it was depleted, and then started on the nitrates.
Those two were the Giant Duckweed and Water Hyacinth.
Is there a way of telling how warm it is getting in there once it's out in the sun ? Even/w a sun block for most of the day's direct sun
would not alter the ambient temp of "outside" in parts of the country where it may exceed 90F in the daytime.
Just a curiosity...
Old 12-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Kado
Planted Member

Default balcony/indoor pond

There is a digital thermometer stuck on the left side of the stand. I'll have it facing the window when I put it outside. That way I can read it from inside and the sun won't bake it.

When I had my aquaponics system on the balcony I had the tank insulated and totally shaded with a reed curtain. Can't recall what the highest temp was, but I do remember that it didn't have any big temp changes either. I'm thinking I will use the reed curtain again on this, and if it starts to get too hot maybe a deeper tank...or I can always just bring it back inside for the hottest months of the year.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Where I used to live from childhood, they have a pond which has public access in the Zoo and it's about 35' across and round.
The pond is about 2' deep and they have Koi in it. Couldn't do that now cause someone would dump in a bottle of dish
washing detergent to see it bubble in the fountain...LOL...but not for the fish unfortunately.
Anyway it got pea soup green so unless the fish actually came to the surface you could not see them one summer.
I wish I hadn't been 12 or 13 at that time cause Water Hyacinth would have straightened that out for them.
It at times gets very windy here, like in a thunderstorm. I have the balcony, but can't figure what might shade it that
wouldn't get destroyed if such happened. I have a couple of baby Cypress trees which I hope(it's a long shot) will
solve a problem for my friend when they get bigger. But getting them to grow inside has been hard so far.
Haven't the faintest, but there is a rock bottom of a lake cove which is dry due to lake lowering for 3 months a year.
But boats run aground there in summer. IF I can get these trees to grow at all, and IF I can root them during that
three month period, when the lake is normal height, they will stick up from the water there warning people of
shallow water. Yea, I know a wild imagination to be sure...we'll see...
Old 12-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love the stand.

Why not use the top planter as a bog filter. Run a small pump to the top and let it trickle down through the gravel and into the pond from holes drilled at the bottom or a spout on one end of the container?

Something like this..

btw, how big are your fish? (Koi/Goldfish?) They look huge in that pond

Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just reread where you mentioned that you have no outlets for power but there is a hole for airline tubing. You can easily cut the plug end from a water pump ,run the wire through the same hole, rewire/tape the plug end back on and plug it into your inside socket.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #10
Kado
Planted Member

Thanks for the vid link. Nice info. That's kinda like how I had their first set up, except I grew veggies instead.

Lol...no the fish are not carp, though my wife does joke around about them looking like mini carp. They are some kind of mix breed goldfish I think.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #11
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Love the stand.

Why not use the top planter as a bog filter. Run a small pump to the top and let it trickle down through the gravel and into the pond from holes drilled at the bottom or a spout on one end of the container?

Something like this..

btw, how big are your fish? (Koi/Goldfish?) They look huge in that pond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7ar0Hp0Ug
Great video
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #12
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
Thanks for the vid link. Nice info. That's kinda like how I had their first set up, except I grew veggies instead.

Lol...no the fish are not carp, though my wife does joke around about them looking like mini carp. They are some kind of mix breed goldfish I think.

You can just grow pothos next to it in pots with soil and the vines do great in the water and great filters . The pothos vines grow huge and lush this way , even grow in the water (I do water the main plant in the soil pot).

I use the no outlet (lol) pothos method for my 20 gallon endlers and shrimp barrels and they work amazing plus the fish love the plants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	endlers tubs.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	254673  

Old 01-04-2014, 02:53 AM   #13
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
LOL...the first picture of this had me thinking you had about a 60 gallon tub of water due to lack of seeing how deep it was.
Looked as though it went down to the floor with water.
Water Hyacinth is one of only two plants which takes out nitrates at the same time as ammonia according to one article I read.
They said test had been done, and to what extent it included "all plants" is up for grabs but only two use both at the same time.
"All" other plants used the ammonia first till it was depleted, and then started on the nitrates.
Those two were the Giant Duckweed and Water Hyacinth.
Is there a way of telling how warm it is getting in there once it's out in the sun ? Even/w a sun block for most of the day's direct sun
would not alter the ambient temp of "outside" in parts of the country where it may exceed 90F in the daytime.
Just a curiosity...

Have you ever tried frogbit ? it is also very good .

Never heard of giant duckweed , just looked it up and going to get some.

Thanks

Last edited by Lia; 01-04-2014 at 03:04 AM.. Reason: Added something
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #14
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Have you ever tried frogbit ? it is also very good .

Never heard of giant duckweed , just looked it up and going to get some.

Thanks
There are those on the Bay who sell something other than genuine Giant Duckweed for it. Giant Duckweed has smooth leaves.
It is much more controllable than regular Duckweed as you have dozens, not hundreds of plants reproducing each day.
I limit mine to a small strip along the edges and in corners.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
Kado
Planted Member

When I first transferred my goldfish, there was a bunch if duckweed and salvinia, but they took care of all of it in a few hours. Small floating plants probably won't last very long.

The pothos looks like a nice plant. If I can find it will definitely like to give I try.