Thinking of hardscaping with a sandy beach type area, but...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Thinking of hardscaping with a sandy beach type area, but...

I'm concerned over long term, whether or not the substrates eventually mix.

I use "Black Beauty" by Diaz Rock, which is black sand with the size of (I was told) pool filter sand. I'm thinking of adding some white sand or a different color substrate, to give the appearance of a different land mass or a sandy beach area. I've seen several beautiful tanks with this similar hardscaping. I was wondering if anyone has kept this type of hardscaping over a long period of time, like several months or even years. If so, have you had trouble with both substrates mixing? If not, how did you prevent that from happening.

I have a planted tank with (2) L-046 zebra plecos and an L-183 Starlight brisstlenose pleco, which would probably stir the substrate around. There are also shrimps and otos in the tank, but I don't see them effecting the substrate much.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

Perfect question, this is what I also want to know.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
edacsac
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I would build some short walls out of that plastic hobby mesh, zip ties and silicon. It's cheap, easy to work with and fun. It will keep most of the two sand seperated, and whatever ends up mixing over the top of the wal, you can just replace if it gets too messy.

Heres kinda what I did, although it's a little more than just seperating sand. But there is a wall to achieve the effect your looking for doing the seperation on the right of my tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...g-journal.html
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)

It would be a bad idea to use two sand like substrates in that situation. If the grains are the same or similar size it will be really hard to seperate the two. You would not be able to use any plastic mesh (live above) as the sand would go right through it. Maintenance would be impossible or near impossible. Use a larger black substrate and it would be possible.
ianiwane is offline   Reply With Quote