high pH in Boston area water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 12-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Archaeofish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

high pH in Boston area water?

I am planning to start a 30g planted tank in the Cambridge and I did some research online on water parameters. For Cambridge, and also for the Massachusetts Regional Water Authority (serves Boston), their goal is to raise the drinking water pH above 9.

https://www.cambridgema.gov/Water/wa...treatment.aspx
http://www.mwra.com/04water/html/qual4concerns.htm

This seems way higher than all the pH values I've seen quotes for most fish. Has anybody in the area had experience dealing with this? Is it an issue?
Archaeofish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

My water is still at 7.4 straight out of tap. I believe it does drop a little if it sits. this would be nuts if it goes through
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Archaeofish
Algae Grower

Sorry, I don't think I was clear in my post. This is not something that they are trying to change, it's what they say in their website that they are doing now (raising the pH relative of drinking water relative to the reservoir), to minimize corrosion on lead and copper piping. I haven't measured my tap water pH yet, was just surprised to see such a high number quoted in those links.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeofish View Post
Sorry, I don't think I was clear in my post. This is not something that they are trying to change, it's what they say in their website that they are doing now (raising the pH relative of drinking water relative to the reservoir), to minimize corrosion on lead and copper piping. I haven't measured my tap water pH yet, was just surprised to see such a high number quoted in those links.

ya. It will be bad for us if they did this. I also noticed the increase in fancy bottled waters in higher PH's now.
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
kuro
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Boston have very low kH so the pH will drop very fast if you let the water sit for few hrs. It should drop back to neutral.

Canon Pimp Club #038
kuro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Its always been PH 9 right out of the tap (as long as i can remember anyways). Depending on how far away you are from the source it might be lower.

But if you put the water in a bucket and let it sit 24-48 hrs, it will go to 7.
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #7
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

When I lived in Lynn the water came out perfect neutral at 7.0 all day, I think due to having their own water supply. I went from there to Malden, now Revere and both spots it came out above 9 and high gh if I remember. Im setting up my fluval ebi with amazonia again and my girlfriend literally just asked me why I have been filtering water in the bathroom for a week. "No im just aerating it to drop the ph down." "What?"....
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Archaeofish
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips--I guess I'll just have to see what I measure. I live pretty close to Fresh Pond (the water source for Cambridge), so I'm thinking I might have higher pH.

How does aeration reduce pH? I was reading somewhere it is really difficult to lower the pH of hard water. I have a cannister filter and was reading that you can add peat balls to reduce pH.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

we don't had hard water, our water is extremely soft with the gh of 1, as well as a kh of 1. So the ph can be changed quite easily.
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
Coralbandit
Algae Grower

Kh will dictate where the pH ends up.If you have low KH then the water should return to its "original" pH before the authority treated it.
Surface movement(bubbles or powerhead) will expedite gas exchange which will return water to pre treated quality.The kH is most important,if it was a high kH then if your tap shot 9 you'd likely be close!
Set a sample of your water aside for 24 hours and test to see true numbers.
Coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

This is an issue we have discussed before,
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=271282

The gist of it is yes the water comes out high due to MRWA treatment 9.2 in the finish water. But due to the lack kh it quickly drops. The only thing I have to add is that they switched over to chloramine and so aerating it to get rid of the chlorine doesn't work.
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
VintonC
Algae Grower

Wow, that is way higher than the EPA's recommended pH. Doesn't sound like drinking tap water or using to top off is a good idea without letting it sit for a while, if that actually helps.

Quote:
What is the federal standard for pH in drinking water?

There is no federally enforceable standard (i.e., Maximum Contaminant Level) for pH in drinking water. EPA set a Secondary Maximum Contaminant Level (SMCL) or recommended range for pH in drinking water of 6.5 to 8.5. SMCLs are developed to protect the aesthetic quality of water, such as taste, odor, color, and appearance. SMCLs are non-enforceable guidelines that states may choose to implement. Contact your state drinking water office to determine if your state set an enforceable pH level in drinking water.
VintonC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
brooksie321
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Mines been crazy high out of the tap since I started the game last year. I run a 22gal. Water barrel and after a day or 2 it's around 7.4.. keeping gbr and wc apisto panduro just fine..
brooksie321 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)

I had water sitting on my counter for a week an no change. Still at 8.8

Now i wonder if u can PH the water after its in ya tank already without any damage or deaths. This is gonna be very bad for people with multiple tanks an tanks 50gals + which i got both LOL....... Well time to get out tha game! It was a good run.

Last edited by newbieplanter; 12-26-2014 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Add
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
brooksie321
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
I had water sitting on my counter for a week an no change. Still at 8.8

Now i wonder if u can PH the water after its in ya tank already without any damage or deaths. This is gonna be very bad for people with multiple tanks an tanks 50gals + which i got both LOL....... Well time to get out tha game! It was a good run.
What are you testing with?
brooksie321 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.