How do you read Ph?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Sowilu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Sowilu Send a message via Yahoo to Sowilu
Question

How do you read Ph?

Dumb question but how do you guys read your ph? I bought an API ph kit and the colors close to the bottom of the scale look almost the same to the tube of water. My brother saids it looks like 7.2 but I say it looks like 7.6. Any advise?

Also is my ph too high for my community tank?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

Pretty much if it is really dark then it is 7.6. I distinguish the colors by holding it onto the ard and holiding it into thel light.

Your pH is fine.
James From Cali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowilu View Post
Also is my ph too high for my community tank?...
A consistent PH level rather than some defined "ideal" level is far more important as far as fish health and survival are concerned. Case in point: I have had fish in a community tank where the pH was consistently 8 over 7 years. I took no remedial action to lower the pH. Many of the fish in that tank were allegedly much lower PH range fish. 7 years later the fish are alive and kicking and healthy. If you read many books and listen to experts, they will say, different fish need different PH levels and you should do things to match that PH. For a community tank, even if that were true, what difference would that make. If you have tetras that enjoy lower PH levels together with blackskirt tetras or krib cichlids that enjoy higher PH levels, who are you going to aim to make happier. And if you add chemicals to lower your PH and you end up with frequent PH swings, I guarantee you, you will have dead fish.

I don't listen to experts and gurus. I go by own experience and observations and what I am telling you is based on my observations of having fish for 7+ years.

Best Regards.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
Sowilu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Sowilu Send a message via Yahoo to Sowilu

Thanks! I don't really use any chemicals to alter my water. I have bought some but I don't even know why I bought them if I don't even use them. As long as my fish are live and happy I don't think I should worry about anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.