Hoochi's pint sized Pico - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #31
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

wow, what a fantastic tank! i remember it from a while ago and glad to see this update. that is really cool that you have U. graminifolia in a setup like this--i thought that it was a very demanding.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #32
garuf
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf

I'd only checked this thread out of curiosity as I'm a full time hater of pico tanks. This however is breathtaking, in both it's longevity and it's plant choice. Can you give some tips on how you got the UG to grow so well and how you maintained it during this period, I'm genuinely inspired to get some for my optiwhite nano!
garuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #33
hoochi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (31/100%)

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
wow, what a fantastic tank! i remember it from a while ago and glad to see this update. that is really cool that you have U. graminifolia in a setup like this--i thought that it was a very demanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garuf View Post
I'd only checked this thread out of curiosity as I'm a full time hater of pico tanks. This however is breathtaking, in both it's longevity and it's plant choice. Can you give some tips on how you got the UG to grow so well and how you maintained it during this period, I'm genuinely inspired to get some for my optiwhite nano!
I've never found UG to be very demanding. UG has done well for me without ferts or CO2 and it can grow in med light except it tends to grow longer than if grown in higher light. I do however use RO water for my planted tanks so UG might prefer a lower KH.

For this tank in particular I mixed in some new aquasoil when I rescaped and I decided to grow the UG emersed. I planted some plugs of UG, poured water to just below the soil line, covered the tank tightly with plastic wrap and just waited for things to fill in. The tank needed a few occasional refills of water due to some evaporation. I kept the photoperiod at 12 hours since it was growing emersed and now I've cut the photoperiod back to 8 hrs since filling it up. Voila! that's it. A very low maintenance tank start up. Now to wait and see how the UG does converting from emersed to submersed. Hopfully the algae will stay away and the UG grows well.
ADA Mini-M Pimp #8

1 Liter pico

60-P Iwagumi
hoochi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #34
garuf
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf

Thanks for that, I have very hard water but since you've had such good luck I think I'm going to go for it. Again, really nice, it's rare I like picos since they're so contrived but this is brilliant.
garuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #35
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

i need to try some of that plant someday. it looks so cool.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #36
hoochi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (31/100%)

Bringing this thread back from the dead. The tank was overrun with hair algae when I put a little piece of mini pellia in that had a spec of algae. The nutrients in the aquasoil were starting to get depleted anyways and UG was starting to suffer because of it. So this tank will be decommissioned.

I do however have a new pico tank to work on. It's a 12cm cube instead of 10cm. The 12cm is a 75% increase in volume over the 10cm which will give me a little more room to try and get a better scape. I can't wait to get started once I get together some hardscape materials for the tank.

Here are some final pictures of the tank

ADA Mini-M Pimp #8

1 Liter pico

60-P Iwagumi
hoochi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #37
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

that last pic look so clear!
very nice

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #38
arien12

This is an amazing little tank! I'd like to have something like this for my desk at work.

Have you started your new pico tank yet?
arien12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #39
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Sweet tank! I've been thinking of a pico for my desk. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE little tanks!

Tags
iwagumi, led, leds, pico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.