Flourite Substitute?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 08-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
HIJKLMNO
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Flourite Substitute?

I have been doing a lot of exploring around the WWW and came across this stuff Here

Technical details Here

It looks like a duck and quacks like a duck so is it OK as a substitute for Flourite which is like 4 times the price over here? Or is it in fact Flourite?

Any help from the experts is gratefully accepted

TIA
HIJKLMNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Actually it doesn't look like Flourite at all. But I'm sure it would work just fine as a substrate.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
edacsac
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'm not an expert, but I think flourite has higher amount of iron in it from what I read in the beginning - before I started my tank. I might be tempted to try the stuff you have linked, but I would also search around for what others are using as alternatives. I personally don't think it's as important to replicate the properties of flourite as much as having a substrate that is easy to plant in, keeps plants planted, and allows good root growth. Are you going to be fertilizing?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Rod Hay
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

True, doesn't look like Flourite. However, it closely resembles Shultz Aquatic Planting Soil or Soilmaster.
Rod Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
HIJKLMNO
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

I am still undecided what to do just yet - I have however, ordered a large bag of the stuff!
My new tank is now here (90 gallon US) Here and it is very tall, so the last few days have been spent in the loft digging out all my old stuff from previous days. I have found some MH lighting and digital drivers for them, some PL tubes and HF ballasts, inline heater and UV' various powerheads and stuff - So I am set to go (I think ).

I bought some "Aquatic Soil" from the garden centre and it is now in a jar for testing but I am not hopeful as it is being very slow to clear, hence the question about this stuff, my tap water has been tested and is as hard as nails (ph 8.2 and I gave up on the GH as it approached 200ppm). So the RO will have to be plumbed in. New MH lamps are on order but I have a load of ordinary neutral white ones as well (Can they be used?) Oh - I have a huge piece of Bogwood soaking in the rain barrel outside.

I have spent so much money in the past on this hobby that this time I am taking it slowly, I used to do some delivery work for the aquatic trade and so am sceptical about a lot of the stuff that is sold as "original and new" almost everything is spun off from another larger process because the aquatic trade is relatively small in comparison to a lot else - Besides that all that I want to grow does well in the natural without all the stuff we seem to have to have - I also have Diane Walstads book on order

Thanks for the information so far.
HIJKLMNO is offline   Reply With Quote