Happy birthday Mula! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
chonhzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

One question...for one some reason I keep thinking that they look like jumpers. Do they jump?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #17
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonhzilla View Post
One question...for one some reason I keep thinking that they look like jumpers. Do they jump?
What made you think THAT???

Yes, they are jumpers. That's how they catch some of their prey. My tanks are all covered, but over the years I had a few incidents.

One time I had the tank open for cleaning, and went on to do some other things, when I heard a noise BEHIND the tank. First I didn't think anything about it, but some time later I wondered what that could have been. That's a 100gal tank almost flush with the wall. Well... you can imagine. I used some plastic spoons to carefully get her out of the gap and back into the tank.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

And can we have some pics of that one in your avatar? I'm assuming that's one of yours.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #19
Wasserpest
Are these real?

That's her. Did you check post 12?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #20
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
That's her. Did you check post 12?
HA! I missed that post! Beautiful!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
legomaniac89
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (72/100%)

WP, I've always loved African Butterflies. Yours are absolutely beautiful! The top shots you took really show why they're named butterflyfish
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
legomaniac89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #22
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Thanks Lego! I too always liked them, although perhaps not the best choice for the average community tank.

Well, they should now be around 7 years old, not bad for my pets.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #23
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

Beautiful fish! I hope they live another 7 years and more
Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #24
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Sure can, here you go:

(if you search for butterfly on this forum you will get some discussions about this fish)
Even more stunning than the avatar shows. Happy birthday! Can I borrow her? I found two silverfish in my tank this morning. Ewwww! Are you going to move them in the new tank?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #25
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

That's a cool picture. Look at those big scary jaws! I always wondered what looked funny about the mouth of the fish in your avatar.

The latest issue of TFH came just yesterday and there is an article in there by Ted Judy about breeding butterfly fishes. Maybe I will read it tonight before bed.

A butterfly fish would look cool in a West Africa biotope riparium tank with Anubias and other representative plants. The partially-filled layout might be an interesting novel way to view them. Do they get along OK with Pelvicachromis cichlids?
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #26
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Even more stunning than the avatar shows. Happy birthday! Can I borrow her? I found two silverfish in my tank this morning. Ewwww! Are you going to move them in the new tank?
Nah, I don't lend my pets.

Most likely I will move them to the new tank. I am not 100% sure yet... I want to stock that new tank with mostly small fish, and if those venture up to the surface much they are going the way of the grasshopper. So my 36 corner tank is the other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
That's a cool picture. Look at those big scary jaws! I always wondered what looked funny about the mouth of the fish in your avatar.

The latest issue of TFH came just yesterday and there is an article in there by Ted Judy about breeding butterfly fishes. Maybe I will read it tonight before bed.
I just saw that article too... After having these fish kept for so long, I feel a bit ambivalent about the article. I can not agree to the recommendation to keep two or three in a 2x1 feet area tank, IMO that is not sufficient for them to get away from each other. Females are larger than males, and will beat them up if they are constantly in line of sight.

Also notice, the male in the photo on the left looks very starved, like you would find them in a pet store after not having eaten for months. The big female on the lower left looks fattened up, that's what flake food would probably do to them. The on on the upper left looks good... natural and happy. The natural position for them is to hang out at the surface. They will never be in the middle of the tank unless they got scared by something (like a hand) from above. That said, I can almost hand feed mine, just have to slowly open the canopy etc.

Quote:
A butterfly fish would look cool in a West Africa biotope riparium tank with Anubias and other representative tank. The partially-filled layout might be an interesting novel way to view them. Do they get along OK with Pelvicachromis cichlids?
I would not put them together. Cichlids are naturally curious, and even if they are mostly inhabiting the lower half of the tank, the Butterflies' fin extensions will sooner or later draw their attention, and then things can turn very cruel for the AFBs. They are basically helpless against attacks from below.

Other than that they would be very nice inhabitants for a riparium. You could put a bunch of crickets in there, and in time, they would pick them from the leaves. Obviously, a tank too small will have them smash their heads into the glass when they jump after insects.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #27
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

I wondered about those fin extensions getting nipped. West African tetras could look cool in a tank swimming in the middle of the water in a tank with butterflies, but they might also nip. Maybe Congos would be OK with them. They seem more gentle. You must have these in a species-dedicated tank(?).

1' X 2' does seem too small for these fish. That's how big a 15-gallon is.

Mastecemblid eels would probably be alright too, but those things spend all their time buried in the sand.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #28
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Maybe Congos would be OK with them. They seem more gentle. You must have these in a species-dedicated tank(?)
Not sure about Congos. Something to try if you have multiple tanks to relocate them if necessary. Smaller tetras that don't venture much to the surface should be good... they are not that nippy. Tiger barbs would probably be the worst.

Over the years I had them with different tank mates. White Cloud Minnows for example, who disappeared one by one. Bigger, peaceful fish like Pearl Gouramies were good. Otos rarely hang out on the surface, so they don't get into trouble. Right now I have them with Endlers, who breed faster than they get eaten.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
Wasserpest
Are these real?

So, according to my count, they are now past 9 years.

The female, who is a bit older, has developed cataracts. That doesn't keep her from going after anything that hits the surface.

A few months ago I had a little incident. Figuring the ABF's would be a bit more laid back in their old age, I added some Blue Eyes/Forktails to the tank. The next morning the majority was gone... I didn't know that they like to sleep near the surface. The Butterflies just picked them off, especially the males with their flashy fins.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #30
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Sad to hear about those blue eyes. However, glad she is going strong for 9 years! She needs lazer eye surgery

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote