Hunter X's Arduino Whole Tank Controller (52K Warning) - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #46
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Do any of you use any type of surge protection for your system. Further more, would it be possible to add an uniteruptable power supply to this setup? Set it up so that in the event of a power failure, a power switch with an air pump would oxegenate sump filter material and the tank. I guess you would need a dc to ac converter as well...

I love EE so many possibilities lol.
Yea I was thinking about doing something along those lines but in the 3 or 4 years I have had my tanks up and running, I have never had a power outage. Because of that, it really isn't a priority for me. A surge protector is always a good idea. I do also use a line conditioner on my box in order to keep the signal clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaf View Post
Hunter
Never added my compliments! It's a beautiful build, really looking forward to see it working. And I can't wait to see your light unit and code. If you want storms and clouds I think reef forums are a good bet - it seems they are more into that stuff I have been too lazy to write that sort of fancy stuff myself!
Thank you! I have had it running without anything connected to it for the last couple of days to run the schedules through the paces and to make sure nothing funny happens. So far so good!

I do want to have the storms and what not during my light cycle but I have a lot of programming to do first. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd603 View Post
Check this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704134

Its a tiny WiFi router, smaller than a credit card, that will run in client mode. Basically its a WiFi shield, but its only $25 and it will easily fit into your box. I've seen a lot of people have great success connecting these to their arduinos at a fraction of the cost of a WiFi shield. I'm gonna pick one up in the next couple days and play around with it. I'll let you know what I think.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Please do! If you can get that to work I'm in. It was actually $19 today!

Keep all of the ideas comming!
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #47
Fluffles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
I only ask in return to post anything you come up with so we all can share and better what we have. Thanks again!
That's a deal!

Quote:
Question? You mentioned you use the MEGA to control your LEDs already? Do you do any fading or just off and on?
I have a small 10G tank and bought the AquaRay Mini LED 400 about a year ago. It was advertised as 'dimmable' but I found out too late that I needed to buy their $160 controller just to be able to control dimming. At first I thought it was going to be way too bright for my tank. I did some research and found that their controller basically used PWM to turn the light on and off very quickly and control dimming that way.

One of my co-workers (and electrical engineer) helped me design a simple circuit to achieve this with the Arduino. Ended up costing about $60 total and I ended up with an Arduino Mega. I slowly ramp up the lights in the morning and back down at night using also using an RTC. No crazy thunderstorms though, this fixture only has white 6500K LEDs. If you want any more details, let me know!

Last edited by Fluffles; 01-07-2014 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: meh
Fluffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #48
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffles View Post
That's a deal!

I have a small 10G tank and bought the AquaRay Mini LED 400 about a year ago. It was advertised as 'dimmable' but I found out too late that I needed to buy their $160 controller just to be able to control dimming. At first I thought it was going to be way too bright for my tank. I did some research and found that their controller basically used PWM to turn the light on and off very quickly and control dimming that way.

One of my co-workers (and electrical engineer) helped me design a simple circuit to achieve this with the Arduino. Ended up costing about $60 total and I ended up with an Arduino Mega. I slowly ramp up the lights in the morning and back down at night using also using an RTC. No crazy thunderstorms though, this fixture only has white 6500K LEDs. If you want any more details, let me know!
Any chace you could share your code? Oh pretty please!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #49
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

I'm dying over here. My truck just got a flat tire and I'm waiting till the weekend to see if it can be patched or not. if not it's a $400 run flat... if it can be patched I'll be placing orders for components.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #50
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got the DINs installed in the box. The will be for the Tank Temp Probe, controls for the tank lights (LED), fan control for the tank light LEDs, and one extra for future upgrades. Hopefully a PH probe!

I was bummed how the hole came out. My drilled slipped on me and they are a little out of line. GRRRR at least the will be at the back of the box. It still drives me nuts.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #51
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I'm dying over here. My truck just got a flat tire and I'm waiting till the weekend to see if it can be patched or not. if not it's a $400 run flat... if it can be patched I'll be placing orders for components.
Dang the bad luck!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #52
benjaf
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
I do want to have the storms and what not during my light cycle but I have a lot of programming to do first.
Do help yourself to any parts my lighting code you find useful! It should be pretty simple to include in an existing sketch. It doesn't do storms etc but is otherwise pretty flexible.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=213234
Old 01-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #53
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

could that 4 channel FET switch board be replaced with a general 4 channel switch?

yourduino.com's shipping prices are ridiculously high and i'm not having luck finding a similar item on amazon

nevermind. found it on ebay for the same price and free shipping item #: 261125619383

Last edited by scapegoat; 01-07-2014 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: a
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #54
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
could that 4 channel FET switch board be replaced with a general 4 channel switch?

yourduino.com's shipping prices are ridiculously high and i'm not having luck finding a similar item on amazon

nevermind. found it on ebay for the same price and free shipping item #: 261125619383
Hey Scape. technically yes it would work but it would be some serious over kill. The relay board is designed to control high voltage electronics using a low voltage control. Did you look on amazon for the FET Board. I found it on there as well. It cost a little more.

EDIT: I guess you did look on Amazon! LOL I didn't see that when I originally read your post!

EDIT 2: I found the FET board on Amazon:
Amazon.com: 4 Route MOSFET Button IRF540 V2.0+: Everything Else Amazon.com: 4 Route MOSFET Button IRF540 V2.0+: Everything Else

Last edited by HunterX; 01-07-2014 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Found it on Amazon
Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #55
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaf View Post
Do help yourself to any parts my lighting code you find useful! It should be pretty simple to include in an existing sketch. It doesn't do storms etc but is otherwise pretty flexible.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=213234
Thanks Ben! I will have a look at it.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #56
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hey Scape. technically yes it would work but it would be some serious over kill. The relay board is designed to control high voltage electronics using a low voltage control. Did you look on amazon for the FET Board. I found it on there as well. It cost a little more.
I found it on amazon for $27ish... plus shipping would've made it ~$30

the ebay item i posted is the item at $18 and free shipping. jumped on that... aaand order stuff from jameco... and amazon.

Also, what do you think of
Amazon.com : DROK Adjustable 4.0-40V to 1.25-37V 5/12V DC LM2596 Voltage Regulator Experimental Power Buck Converter+LED Voltmeter : Electronics Amazon.com : DROK Adjustable 4.0-40V to 1.25-37V 5/12V DC LM2596 Voltage Regulator Experimental Power Buck Converter+LED Voltmeter : Electronics
over those DC to DC step up/down boards?

Last edited by scapegoat; 01-07-2014 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: aaaa
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #57
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Hey, so I just noticed that you have 9 plugs and only 8 green buttons. Do you plan on having 1 hot at all times. (I noticed in your initial pic, the bottom left plug wasn't wired up to hot)

Also, say I wanted to control 4 or more pumps. Would I need an additional MOSFET board? Or just another model that incorporates more than 3 items? What about this Mosfet board? http://www.adafruit.com/products/1438#Description

Also, what would you say is more important? Faster processor speed on the arduino or more PWM ports? I've been researching and apparently, the Arduino Due has a much faster processor, however only 6 pwm ports, whereas the arduino mega2560 has 14 pwm ports but a little bit slower of a processor.

Last edited by pianofish; 01-08-2014 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: another question
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #58
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

what gauge wires did you use for everything? what is that clip called that attaches the wire to the motor? trying to place orders for those items as well but don't know the terminology
Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #59
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Hey, so I just noticed that you have 9 plugs and only 8 green buttons. Do you plan on having 1 hot at all times. (I noticed in your initial pic, the bottom left plug wasn't wired up to hot)

Also, say I wanted to control 4 or more pumps. Would I need an additional MOSFET board? Or just another model that incorporates more than 3 items? What about this Mosfet board? http://www.adafruit.com/products/1438#Description

Also, what would you say is more important? Faster processor speed on the arduino or more PWM ports? I've been researching and apparently, the Arduino Due has a much faster processor, however only 6 pwm ports, whereas the arduino mega2560 has 14 pwm ports but a little bit slower of a processor.
Wow great eye. Like you said, the last plug is wired directly to the power strips and will remain "hot" the entire time. I figured this would be easy to add a power strip or something if need be. Might plug the power for the Fish Tank lights in here as well. I'm surprised you caught that!

I just want to be clear, when you say "pumps", are you talking about dosing pumps (12v) or larger (120v) pumps? That motor controller looks like a great controller but unfortunately it isn't designed to work with the MEGA. It's also a stackable design which would mean you couldn't use a sensor shield which really makes the wiring much cleaner and easier in my opinion. The FET Board I'm using controls 4 DC motors though. IF you needed to control 4 dosing pumps one option would be to not use the fan in the box. I think the box would be ok with just vent holes.

If you want a "whole tank" controller, to me it is way more important to have more input/outputs to work with. The smaller boards are going to seriously limit you to what you can control. The mega is running all my code with no issues what so ever. I'm very please with the speed. I just don't think the Due would have enough inputs/outputs for you to control everything. If you just want to control one aspect of the tank you will be fine with the due.

Last edited by HunterX; 01-08-2014 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Checked the board out.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #60
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
what gauge wires did you use for everything? what is that clip called that attaches the wire to the motor? trying to place orders for those items as well but don't know the terminology
Unfortunately, I bought the wire on the economy here in Kuwait. It isn't measured the same as back in the states. Just google HOME 110v wire size. I think you will be fine with 18gauge. The runs are very short.

The connectors are standard #6 Spade Terminal connectors. Be sure to get ones that fit the wire size you want to use. Mine were designed for 16-22 gauge wire. Here is a link to the ones I used on Jameco:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...gDrillDownView

Those DC controllers you posted should work fine as well. I was looking at them when I built mine. The only think I didn't like about them is that they do not step the voltage up. The input v has to be at least 1v higher then the output voltage. Which if you are using a 12 AC to DC converter you should well above the required 1v.

Last edited by HunterX; 01-08-2014 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.