Hunter X's Arduino Whole Tank Controller (52K Warning) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #16
magnum
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
Automating the water change should be pretty easy. I still have to write the code for my lighting. I'd love to see your code HINT HINT. I would highly recommend the mega. Specially if you want to control the whole tank. I'm working on my parts list now so should have that up in a few hours.
I'll be looking forward to the mega, but until then I get to enjoy finding individual projects that I'll put in the final controller. Once the code is gone over with a fine toothed comb for efficient and bugs, I'll be sure to post it around the forum. (Surely to continue to be hacked up by the professionals haha)
Sump Pimp #11
RAOK Club Member #53

All I got in life is my word, balls, and pride.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
paronaram
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
See Attached PDF for Parts List.
HunterX, thanks for the parts list.
Are you avoiding fleabay fundamentally? Or whatever store comes first on Internet you got it from them?
Price of your list can be slashed in half if not more, if the parts are purchased from electronic parts wholesalers from fleabay. Just my 5c
Unless money is not an issue

Aram
paronaram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #18
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paronaram View Post
HunterX, thanks for the parts list.
Are you avoiding fleabay fundamentally? Or whatever store comes first on Internet you got it from them?
Price of your list can be slashed in half if not more, if the parts are purchased from electronic parts wholesalers from fleabay. Just my 5c
Unless money is not an issue

Aram
I'm currently deployed to Kuwait. As a result I had to go with supplies that I knew would ship to an APO address before I purchased an item. Let me reassure you, price is always an issue! LOL Thanks for looking.
HunterX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #19
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
I'll be looking forward to the mega, but until then I get to enjoy finding individual projects that I'll put in the final controller. Once the code is gone over with a fine toothed comb for efficient and bugs, I'll be sure to post it around the forum. (Surely to continue to be hacked up by the professionals haha)
I know what you mean. Notice I haven't posted my code on the forum. I don't want to be embarrassed LOL!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #20
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
I know what you mean. Notice I haven't posted my code on the forum. I don't want to be embarrassed LOL!
don't be embarrassed.

load it up on github and let people help you make it better.

some of the best pieces of software out there are written by one or two people, bug checked and updated by thousands. If we could actually get a bunch of programmers united on a single project then I'm sure we could come up with something that rivals any of the commercial examples.

the biggest problem we have with the DIY aquarium controller right now is folks not sharing what they've done, not working together, or even letting their ego get in the way of collaboration.

I've actually purchased a domain name in order to share some DIY/open sourced aquarium stuff. but haven't had the time to devote to "wiring it up" and getting it going. it was meant to be more of an open wiki so folks can add their own content in.

I'd be more inclined if I could get a small group of like minded folks invested into the idea and willing to spend some time helping to get it rolling.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #21
salman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
don't be embarrassed.

some of the best pieces of software out there are written by one or two people, bug checked and updated by thousands. If we could actually get a bunch of programmers united on a single project then I'm sure we could come up with something that rivals any of the commercial examples.

the biggest problem we have with the DIY aquarium controller right now is folks not sharing what they've done, not working together, or even letting their ego get in the way of collaboration.

I've actually purchased a domain name in order to share some DIY/open sourced aquarium stuff. but haven't had the time to devote to "wiring it up" and getting it going. it was meant to be more of an open wiki so folks can add their own content in.

I'd be more inclined if I could get a small group of like minded folks invested into the idea and willing to spend some time helping to get it rolling.
Very well said sir. I do have lot of hardware and some software experience so i'll be sure to help any way i can. Haven't done any project since i finished college(approx. 4 years) lol.
salman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
don't be embarrassed.

I will end up posting it. I have a couple of bugs to work out before I do though. I hope a few people take interest in it and help me develop it and make it better!

I did get my AC to DC converter installed last night. It works like a champ. I'm at work now but when I get off I will post some pictures of it!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #23
paronaram
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
I'm currently deployed to Kuwait. As a result I had to go with supplies that I knew would ship to an APO address before I purchased an item. Let me reassure you, price is always an issue! LOL Thanks for looking.
Darrin, great kudos for pulling such a project by being in Kuwait!
Man I never knew that this can be possible there
Again, awesome job!!!

Aram
paronaram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #24
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paronaram View Post
Darrin, great kudos for pulling such a project by being in Kuwait!
Man I never knew that this can be possible there
Again, awesome job!!!

Aram
Thank you for the kind compliment. Lucky for me it gave me something to do during my down time besides miss my life back home! Come on MAY!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #25
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You did a beautiful job! It looks like you took my auto doser to a while new level
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #26
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
You did a beautiful job! It looks like you took my auto doser to a while new level
Thanks Shift. I appreciate that!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #27
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

My AC to DC Convert finally came in. (Don't mind the sloppy wire job. I haven't cleaned that up yet). It works like a charm. It holds @ 12.05 volts on the money. The DC to DC converters hold on their set voltage perfectly as well. I'm really happy how the power management has turned out. I'm now able to plug the box into the wall (110 or 220V) and it runs just as planned. Now it's time to start working on the LED Light controls.

Last edited by HunterX; 01-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: spell much....
Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #28
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

are each of the dc to dc step up/down and power FET switch, for the motors, all attached to the ac to dc converter?

which ac to dc converter did you get?

I just noticed in your previous pictures that those set up/down units weren't even powered, so you've been waiting for the converter right?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #29
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
are each of the dc to dc step up/down and power FET switch, for the motors, all attached to the ac to dc converter?

which ac to dc converter did you get?

I just noticed in your previous pictures that those set up/down units weren't even powered, so you've been waiting for the converter right?
The AC to DC converter does supply all of the DC current for the box. 12v straight from it to the power FET. Then from the converter to the step up/down, in my case step down, to the Arduino (9v), the Relay Board (5v) and the Sensor Shield (5v).

I got the AC to DC converter from www.jameco.com. This one is the same specs as mine. I couldn't find the one I got.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...0001_323300_-1

Yea I was waiting for the converter. Its all running now!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #30
Fluffles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow, this is looking great!
Thanks so much for the parts list. I've had an Arduino Mega controlling my LED lights for about a year now and wanted to expand it to a complete aquarium controller but never knew how to approach this. Your thread has given me a clear path on how to get things started.
I actually ordered most of the components already and it looks like I'll be building a clone of your project. Thanks again!

Btw, I see that your dosing pumps and fan are connected to the 4 channel MOSFET board. Did you consider placing a diode in parallel to each pump/fan to protect your transistors from flyback?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode
I think Shift's dosing pump project has some of these installed, but it seems like the transistors are pretty beefy though so it might not be necessary at all. Maybe someone here with electrical experience might be able to offer some advice.
Fluffles is offline   Reply With Quote