Tank pane dimension questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Sleipnir

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank pane dimension questions

Folks,

I have been searching through the threads for some directions and advice on my tank build and have had most of my questions answered.

I believe I have a good idea on the most effective and strong way of using silicone to seal the panes together, although I still have a very hard time believing that just the silicone beads themselves have enough shear strength to keep the water from separating the panes, not using any kind of bracing/clamping.

My current question is this. when determining the size of the bottom pane of glass, is it better to have the vertical panes of glass sit atop the bottom pane, or have the vertical panes of glass fit around the dimensional size of the bottom pane.

For example, I would like my tank to be roughly 100 gallons and I have built a custom stand to accommodate a 60x18x20 tank. I will be using 3/8th glass. My idea was to have the long vertical panes be 60x20-3/8 (x2), the end panes 18-3/4x20-3/8 (x2) and the bottom pane be 59-1/4x18. What would allow the bottom panes OD to match up with the ID of the rectangle formed by the vertical panes.

I understand that with that arrangement, the bottom pane would have a risk of being pushed up during empty handling, but I plan on taking extreme care and supporting the entire assembly, mostly along the vertical panes while moving it.

Thoughts? Cautions?

Thanks in advance
Sleipnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement