another question about the nutrafin bubble counter/diffuser
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-15-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
wendyv
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ops: Hi guys, me again :lol: , I have another question about the nutrafin bubble counter/diffuser. Out of curiosity; if you have two bottles, three bottles, etc. going, should you use a ladder for each of them; or is it the same if you use one ladder; only more bubbles with more bottles?
I had a leaky valve in a smaller bottle after my 2litre ones and so wasn't getting any co2 in my tank. Not even sure if I need the smaller bottle with this ladder; but did read that if you don't have it the water from your tank could back flow if anything goes wrong; so right now the 2l bottles are connected straight to the one ladder and there is a bubble about every second; sometimes if it misses the second; there are two on the third second. Hope this is okay.
Thanks everyone for all your imput.
Wendy
wendyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

As long as the bubbles don't merge and raise up the ladder and to the surface, you can add more bottles to the same ladder. One per second is a lot! (Good!)

The advantage of using more ladders is a better CO2 distribution in your tank, but if you have a decent flow in the area where the ladder is, it should be alright.

The smaller bottle is to clean the gas from impurities, like yeast spores, which sometimes lead to white growth in the area where the bubbles enter the tank. And, in case of too much reaction, if the mixture foams out of the bottle, the smaller bottle will retain a little bit of it. Not really necessary if you don't have those problems.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:08 AM   #3
wendyv
Algae Grower

Thanks for answering. Hopefully not too much; don't want to kill my fish. Will just have to monitor them tonight and do my testing. Will put the small bottle on once I have the valve glued on well.
Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
wendyv
Algae Grower

Hi all, this morning my ph is down to 6.8 (or there abouts with litmus paper). I found a Wardley's ph tester mid range in a larger centre and am planning on going in there tomorrow to buy it. Just one thing with this ladder; no the bubbles don't merge, they just go up the ladder one after the other but once they reach the top; then they just rise to the top of the water and sail on top for around 20 seconds then pop. Is this what they are suppose to do?
Thanks so much for all the help.
Wendy
Old 02-15-2004, 10:45 PM   #5
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

hey Wendy how are the goldys doing with the drop?
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:54 AM   #6
wendyv
Algae Grower

Hi fishy; they are doing just fine; no one is bothered by it at all. Will just keep monitoring it for a few days to see how low it goes; hopefully not too low to bother the fish.
The ladder is really very neat to see with the bubbles running up it. I put the smaller bottle (bubble counter) on this morning and although it worked; sometimes when I was getting two bubbles one right after the other; without the bottle they would run up the ladder one after the other; but with the smaller bottle on; I know it sounds crazy but the second bubble would bounce right out of the ladder and go right to the top. Figured I was losing co2 that way; so I ended up disconnecting the little bottle and just connecting the bottles straight to the ladder.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

There is one thing you can try if you still want to use the smaller bottle. Tilt the ladder slightly so that the bubble will roll faster to the right and slower to the left (just a very little angle would do). This way, the bubble won't bump into each other when they just came out from the tube.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #8
wendyv
Algae Grower

Hi nino, thanks for the trick. I went to town today and when I came home there was a tiny bit of white stuff on the end of the air pipe at the end of the ladder and the bubbles weren't going up the ladder properly; now know why the bottle is important. Have reinstalled the smaller bottle and now severything eems to work just fine. and no bubbles going in front of the ladder.
So no one thinks I would get more co2 with two ladders instead of one? I now have three - 2 litre pop bottles attached to the same ladder. The bubbles do seem to be going in single file up the ladder.
Wendy
Old 02-17-2004, 08:59 AM   #9
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

I personally think that the small bottle is a must. I read some DIY CO2 articles and they suggest to shake the bottle a bit every 3 or 4 days. I tried it without using the small bottle before and guess what, some of the mixture went into the tube. The mixture slowly moved up and ended up in the aquarium. I don't think fish like alcohol, do they?.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote