Considering microfish for 29 biocube, need advice!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Considering microfish for 29 biocube, need advice!

Okay, so I just got a 29 biocube for Christmas, and I'm working on stocking. One thing I'm thinking I may do is keep a leaf fish and an African butterflyfish in it, but I'm also considering something else. Microfish. Here's what I'm thinking of:
25-ish microrasboras, at least. Possibly two or more species.
At least 10 celestial pearl danios.
15 or so dwarf cories (Habrosus)
3 sparkling gouramis

And I'm trying to figure out which I'd prefer... Would this stocking work? Not with the leaf-fish and African butterfly, of course, those would eat the micros all up.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
cbachmann
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

TBH, I like the look of lots of small fish way better than the look of a one or two larger fish. As far as the numbers, you could probably push it even farther, especially with those CPDs. They're real beauts

3.5 gallon- Dwarf Cories
10 gallon- Cories
5.5- Khuli Loaches and Golden Tetras
cbachmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

How much will all of these species school? Will they stay in a group or do they just scatter all over?
I love all these little fish, I'm just trying to decide if I love the awesome oddballs more.
I may look for Malayan pygmy cats... I saw them for sale on Aquabid once, and they're supposed to stay under two inches. I'm wondering if those could go in a mini fish tank, I'm not sure if I'd like them in there...
I'm probably going to have a lot of cherry shrimp in the tank, since those little fish can't eat the adult shrimp. If I heavily plant the tank, do you suppose something might be willing to breed for me? Maybe the CPDs?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

what about rummynose tetras & pygmy cories?
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you're planning on putting shrimp you might have to put something over the filter inlet, Not sure how the biocube 29 is but i have a biocube 8 shrimp tank & I had to modify the inlets
Old 12-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

I'm getting rummies for my bigger community tank. This tank is going to be for tiny-tiny fish, anything larger than a pygmy cory has to be sort of a centerpiece fish.
Ooh, badis maybe? I love badis.
Yeah, I figured that I'd have to do something with the inlets... I'm thinking put some mesh over them. Would that work? I could hide it with either some rock or some mesh. I'd have to do that even if I didn't get shrimp, since the fish are so darn tiny they might be able to get in through the slits.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used this kind of microfiber mesh so the baby shrimp don't get sucked in, if you just want the adults to survive then you could get away with a larger mesh. I also had to install a different pump with slower flow because the original biocube pump would overflow due to the restriction of my mesh, experiment with different sizes to see what works for you
Old 12-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

I'll mess around with it a bit... Maybe I can put large mesh on the intakes, then put a smaller mesh on the slits that let the water into the second container.