Winter temperatures & Corys
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
gerbillo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Winter temperatures & Corys

I live in a poorly insulated apartment that gets to the low-50s during the winter, which means I'm currently overpowering the heater for the QT tank housing my habrosus corys, just to keep them at a comfortable 75F all day long. Can they do okay in temperatures in the high 60s during parts of the winter?

I'm not asking if I could keep them at such low temperatures all the time, I know they're tropical. I'm asking because I know that some animals, such as the shrimp I plan to get, can still do well in the upper-60s, but I couldn't find info on the corys. Their ultimate home is a 10g that's currently cycling and being put together, so I'm still deciding on a heater. Should I really overpower things just for the winter to keep it mid-70s all year round, or is it okay if I mildly overpower the heater so that for brief periods in the winter the tank may dip in the upper-60s?
gerbillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
Jojoba
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

For what it's worth a kept a cory for about 3-4 years without a heater and my house is 68 in the day and 63 at night. But, I'm not going to advocate that this is necessarily the most healthy route for the fish, but in my specific situation it managed to work.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
jeffdenney
Planted Member

I have corys in a tank that hovers between 68-71... they seem happy. Always rummaging thru the substrate. Been there about a year now.
jeffdenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
gerbillo
Algae Grower

Jojoba and Jeff, which cory species did you keep?

I would like some more examples, a couple anecdote can be helpful but doesn't make for facts. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Jojoba
Algae Grower

I had albino aeneus cory.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

They will be fine as long as the temperature changes are gradual. Any rapid changes can cause death. Might i suggest adding two heaters to split the demand? if you set both to a nice 75 degrees then one wont have to be put up to higher temperatures. My last heater went like this and i just said screw it and bought two higher quality heaters that will last me a long time.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
jeffdenney
Planted Member

I have albino corys as well
jeffdenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
gerbillo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
They will be fine as long as the temperature changes are gradual. Any rapid changes can cause death. Might i suggest adding two heaters to split the demand? if you set both to a nice 75 degrees then one wont have to be put up to higher temperatures. My last heater went like this and i just said screw it and bought two higher quality heaters that will last me a long time.

Oh yeah, the good thing about living near a large bay is that temperature changes are slow.

I've used two heaters in my old reef tanks, but unfortunately my planted tank doesn't have as much room.