new behavior in panda cories
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
starthief
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

new behavior in panda cories

A couple nights ago I rearranged the wood in my tank a bit in the process of cleaning, and also installed a canister filter in addition to the AquaClear HOB that was already there.

Ever since then, my panda cories have decided that the top of the heater (a Fluval E), only about an inch below the surface, is a great place to hang out, singly or in pairs.

Anyone seen that happen before? Is it anything to worry about, or are they just being the odd little fish they are?

(I do have an ongoing cycle in my tank, due to treatment of a columnaris infection. I'm using Prime, water changes, and zeolite to help deal with it in the meantime. But they're not gasping, and neither are the other fish, so I don't think it's related.)
starthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Are they all trying to get up there at the same time, or is it just one or two? If it's just one or two and they don't seem to care if they're off, it's probably just cories being strange. Cories are really weird fish sometimes, for no real reason.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
starthief
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Are they all trying to get up there at the same time, or is it just one or two? If it's just one or two and they don't seem to care if they're off, it's probably just cories being strange. Cories are really weird fish sometimes, for no real reason.
It's just one or two. Yeah, I think it's just weirdness.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
mattjm20
Planted Member

My cories won't stop sprinting up and down the glass all day and night. It's actually quite annoying and stressful, I wish they would stop... I may get some more and see if that changes their behavior.
mattjm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/92%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjm20 View Post
My cories won't stop sprinting up and down the glass all day and night. It's actually quite annoying and stressful, I wish they would stop... I may get some more and see if that changes their behavior.
I think this is a sign of nervousness or stress or excitement or something. The fact that they do it 24-7 is not good I don't think
Old 12-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
cbachmann
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

That is quite curious. Do they fish seem to be exhibiting repiratory distress/have redness around their gills?

3.5 gallon- Dwarf Cories
10 gallon- Cories
5.5- Khuli Loaches and Golden Tetras
cbachmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
Andrew.
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjm20 View Post
My guppies do the same thing in groups of like 3 or 4
Andrew. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
starthief
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
That is quite curious. Do they fish seem to be exhibiting repiratory distress/have redness around their gills?
No, nothing visible -- however, I lost one Friday night and one last night, and I'm down to 2 left out of the original 8.

I suspect these pandas were an unhealthy group. They brought columnaris with them into my tank, and though I only lost two before treatment seemed to clear it up, they may have been repeatedly stressed by disease.

All my other fish (including 8 gold laser cories) have been fine, through the columnaris and the mini-cycle caused by the treatment I used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
I think this is a sign of nervousness or stress or excitement or something. The fact that they do it 24-7 is not good I don't think
Hmm, I see that so often in stores with some types of cories -- particuarly bronze, albinos and pandas -- that I took it as a normal sign of healthy behavior. But if it actually is a stress indicator, that would make sense. (My gold lasers have always been pretty placid, except for darting when scared and getting excited about food.)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starthief View Post

Hmm, I see that so often in stores with some types of cories -- particuarly bronze, albinos and pandas -- that I took it as a normal sign of healthy behavior. But if it actually is a stress indicator, that would make sense. (My gold lasers have always been pretty placid, except for darting when scared and getting excited about food.)
IMO & IME that is a sign of happiness in many cories. I own 6 albino, 4 green, 4 panda, 3 julii, and 4 sterbai cories. They all are very active and when they aren't that's when it has been an indicator for me to check them out because something isn't right (either sick or water parameters).
BTW...if the sprinting is bothersome...wait till they spawn...super duper active.....
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Korya
Algae Grower

Mine did that until I increased their numbers. Then they calmed down. I believe two is too few.
Panda Corys
Rummy Noses
Neons
Clown Plecos
Albino BN Plecos
CO2
Korya is offline   Reply With Quote