Lighting for 10 gallon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-02-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
WildSpiritus

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to WildSpiritus

I have a 10 gallon tank that I would like to have as a fish/plant tank - I just bought a flourescent hood (18", 15w) and it came with a 15 watt Aqua Ray (by GE) which gives off a bluish white light - I would like to know if that is sufficient light in the correct spectrums for me to successfully grow plants (I want LOTS of plants!) or if I need to get something else. Also, I'm not sure which Aqua Ray it is exactly, I think it is probably the one for Freshwater which is (and I quote):

" Freshwater: Enhances color of fish, plants and decorations while supporting growth of plants requiring low/medium light levels. The 4400K color temperature makes red, blue and green more vibrant in your aquarium. "

The other one is:

" Fresh&Saltwater: Provides superior color enhancement of fish, plants and decorations while supporting growth of freshwater plants or coral/marine invertebrates that need high light levels. The 9325 color temperature brightens red, blue and green light. "

And if neither one of these lights is suitable for a 10 gallon (I've gotten terribly confused with everything that I've read on the internet so far) could someone please tell me what one I should get.

many thanks

WS
WildSpiritus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Either one would grow some plants well, but 15 watts on a 10 gallon tank is only barely acceptable to grow most plants. The color isn't as important as intensity. Don't worry about which bulb you have - concern yourself with somehow adding an additional bulb.

I'd recommend you buy a retrofit kit from www.ahsuppy.com and replace the 15 watt tube with a 2x13w kit as show in this picture...

You can find more info here...

13w Retrofit Kit

The kit you'd need is part # 21301 ($14.99). The bulb they carry, part # 11133 would most closely replicate the reddish hue of the first Aqua Ray bulb you mention. It would bring out the colors of the fish and plants. You'd need two bulbs at $6.99 each. If you can spring the extra few dollars, it might be worth also buying the 5000K bulbs (part # 11135) in case you don't like the reddish bulb. It's also nice to have spare bulbs around in case your bulbs go out. Or you could do a combination of the two bulbs for a true full sprectrum spread.

Enjoy and good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.