Fertilization Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
alienufo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fertilization Question

Hey all. Just started getting into planted tanks recently and I had a question about fertilization.

My tank is using sand as a substrate and I bought some flourish tabs, flourish excel, and flourish iron. Should I also be using anything else for fertilizer? Are Flourish Tabs the same as the liquid Seachem Flourish?

BTW, my tank is 36g and I have a Finnex Planted+ 30" on it.

As for what plants im planning to grow, I currently have an Anubias Congesis, Amazon Sword, baby tears, and Red Foxtail. I also recently ordered some flame moss, Temple plant,
Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia, and some
Pigmy Chain Sword.
alienufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Flourish Iron provides iron, the tabs provide trace minerals, and the Excel is a carbon supplement (that does not entirely replace CO2, but that is another story).

Flourish tabs are similar to liquid Flourish, but in a different format (solid vs. liquid).

Plants require macronutrients in addition to the nutrients that you have listed. The major ones that we dose are potassium and phosphorus (in the form of phosphates). Commercial products are available, but I would recommend (and personally prefer) the use of dry chemicals (i.e. potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate) as they are cheaper and more economical in the long run.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
alienufo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Flourish Iron provides iron, the tabs provide trace minerals, and the Excel is a carbon supplement (that does not entirely replace CO2, but that is another story).

Flourish tabs are similar to liquid Flourish, but in a different format (solid vs. liquid).

Plants require macronutrients in addition to the nutrients that you have listed. The major ones that we dose are potassium and phosphorus (in the form of phosphates). Commercial products are available, but I would recommend (and personally prefer) the use of dry chemicals (i.e. potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate) as they are cheaper and more economical in the long run.
Where would one find potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate? And how do you recommend dosing it for a 36g tank? Will it have any affect on my fish?
alienufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienufo View Post
Where would one find potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate? And how do you recommend dosing it for a 36g tank? Will it have any affect on my fish?
There are various sellers on the forums that sell it. You may also be able to find it locally (check hydroponics stores, agricultural stores, etc).

For dosing, there are various dosing regimens such as Estimative Index (EI), PPS-Pro, etc.

For some starter information, take a look at my Primer to Planted Aquariums, linked in my signature below.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote